My two boys are now terrified of newcomer + stress peeing

Azuriya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, folks this is a very, very long story, so please bear with me here.

So, for a few years now we'd been noticing this big fluffy cat wandering around. With the terrible shape his coat was in, we weren't sure if he had a home half the time. We discover that he does have a home, and that his name is Bandit. They have four other animals - the grandmother cat to Bandit, and three dogs all of whom bully him, and we were told Bandit would not go into the house if the grandma cat was at the door, which is all the time.
Fast forward to a couple months ago, where my mom decides to start letting him in the house because it's getting cold out.

Well, it's been going on three full months as of today, and they don't seem to care that Bandit is gone at all, seeing as they haven't called once to ask if have him. Moreover, he appears to have adopted us; he is just the sweetest cat, and you can really tell he loves us as much as we love him. He's so much happier now, and his coat is now soft and shiny, and he is frequently primping, something he wasn't doing before. His super sweet disposition has completely stolen my heart. He is everything I ever wanted in a kitty, incredibly affectionate, a snuggler, gives kisses, purrs for no reason. (All 20+ pounds of him, he has huge paws and ears too so he isn't a small cat lol)

I have two older boys, Pogo (11) and Zippy (14 - diabetic), both of whom I've raised from kittens. In the beginning, things went as expected. Some spats, but the old boys would still roam the house freely. However, after a particularly bad nighttime spat between Pogo and Bandit, I got the idea to start locking Pogo in my room during the night, as Bandit is very attached to me in particular since I'm home all day, and had been trying to sleep with me, something Pogo wants nothing of, as my room is very much his territory.

Now, however, the boys are so afraid of Bandit that they refuse to leave the bedrooms, meaning Pogo has not been going downstairs to go potty. Zippy will, but once he goes down, he stays down, making giving him his insulin an issue. With the way they are acting, you'd think Bandit was terrorizing them day and night. That couldn't be further from the case. Plus, if anything, Pogo is the instigator since he is always growling and hissing nonstop at Bandit, who in turn chases him which Pogo does not like as he screams bloody murder every time.

I know this is on me since I started locking Pogo in my room during the night, but Zippy and Pogo are miserable, and they've also started stress peeing in my mom's closet, so now she's locking them out during the day. This situation also has me incredibly stressed out, and I've been crying nonstop because it hurts me so much to see my old men so unhappy, but at the same time Bandit is a completely different kitty now that he's actually being loved, and I really do not want to let him go.

Please, help me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you do proper introductions with these cats? If not, you might need to start over and do so, assuming you have the room. Read these articles, and let us know if you can/cannot manage with the space in your house to accommodate a formal introduction process. The last article is labeled as being for a kitten, but there are still things in it that might apply given the age of your older two cats.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – Cat Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – Cat Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Azuriya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Did you do proper introductions with these cats? If not, you might need to start over and do so, assuming you have the room. Read these articles, and let us know if you can/cannot manage with the space in your house to accommodate a formal introduction process. The last article is labeled as being for a kitten, but there are still things in it that might apply given the age of your older two cats.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – Cat Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – Cat Articles
Hey there, thanks for these. I'm not sure if a full, proper re-introduction is feasible given how small my home is. We didn't let Bandit roam the house right away; we had kept him confined to the family room in the back as it's really the only truly neutral space we have. We never intended to keep him, but he made himself so comfortable so quickly. Really, you'd think he lived here all his life with how at ease he immediately was with all of us, cats included. I think I am to blame here honestly, because early on I had all three, relaxing, sunning in the family room with no issues. IMG_20191225_132857089.jpg IMG_20191225_141422371_HDR.jpg