• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
This morning I got more meds into her

Her usual morninf med.
Pred pepcid AC dasquin and the saline solution for her nose with Cerenia.

Her nose was completely blocked up on left side. Unblocked it. Not a favorite thing.

Fed another teaspoon of baby food on ky finger smear on top of mouth. I tried the syringe and it was too much food at once.

I made her morning tuna but she is hiding. I put the bowl where she is.

I'm supposed to do that saline solution every 12 hours. I don't know why I thought it was once a day.

I got a couple hours of sleep.

Off to work.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too am so sorry about all this stress and heartache you are going through right now. Like all the others saying to you Foxxycat, you ARE a strong woman! Why reading about all the different medications, techniques and methods you are using to help your girl feel better is impressive and amazing because of all the knowledge you have accumulated over the years on how to take good care of cats. You don't give yourself enough credit on how much knowledge you know and enough self confidence to know you are doing everything right and everything that needs to be done to treat her. You are doing everything humanly possible for your girl, and aside from that, what will be will be. Hang in there Foxxycat, and live up to your name, Foxxycat!! ( cool handle you are using there, always wanted to tell you that);) It denotes strength and perseverance, agree?:) Anyway, I am praying for you both. Pumpkin is a lucky kitty to have you as her mommy!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to break your hearts.

Pumps is an angel now. I had to put her down. She was swelling and in obvious trouble. After discussing with a vet friend we came to the conclusion that it was a valve inside her heart. I thought her kidneys failed because she wasnt making urine. Despite the fluids.

Monday she was 11.2 lbs. Thursday at vets 12.2 lbs. Tonight 12.5lbs. I knew something was wrong.

The vet hospital wanted to fart around with tests and ultrasound and I got angry and said what difference does it make??!! She's not eliminating. Evem adding lasix wouldn't fix it. I decided to let her go because she had that look.

When I came home from work she was laying on hwr side looking in obvious distress. I told Jon it's something wrong. I thought about it on way to vets and said holy crap did I give her a medication that killed her?! I asked the vet. They said most likely not. They thought it was a cancer. I said no. She would have been loosing weight. I said her kidneys are failing and shes in distress.

Aftwr talking to a friend and explained everything to me I feel better knowing that I did the right thing. i didn't want to put her through any more. She had that look.

I'm sorry for this bad news.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am late to the thread, but my heart breaks with yours. I'm so sorry you lost your precious Pumpkin. I am glad that you made the most loving decision to let her go rather than subject her to tests and other treatments that may not have done anything and added to her discomfort. Feel free to post a tribute to her in the Crossing the Bridge forum when you're ready.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Pumps is an angel now. I had to put her down. She was swelling and in obvious trouble. After discussing with a vet friend we came to the conclusion that it was a valve inside her heart. I thought her kidneys failed because she wasnt making urine. Despite the fluids.

Monday she was 11.2 lbs. Thursday at vets 12.2 lbs. Tonight 12.5lbs. I knew something was wrong.

The vet hospital wanted to fart around with tests and ultrasound and I got angry and said what difference does it make??!! She's not eliminating. Evem adding lasix wouldn't fix it. I decided to let her go because she had that look.

When I came home from work she was laying on hwr side looking in obvious distress. I told Jon it's something wrong. I thought about it on way to vets and said holy crap did I give her a medication that killed her?! I asked the vet. They said most likely not. They thought it was a cancer. I said no. She would have been loosing weight. I said her kidneys are failing and shes in distress.

Aftwr talking to a friend and explained everything to me I feel better knowing that I did the right thing. i didn't want to put her through any more. She had that look.

I know that look you mentioned. I think others do, too.
When the light of happiness in their eyes goes out, there's not much else that can be done for them, or us.
You know what they say here....their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven.
I am so very sorry for your loss.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I have been busy since Friday trying to get my girl to eat. She's been sneezy and stuffy and post nasal drip. A classic URI.

We went to the vet Monday morning, got treatment of fluids, Cerenia, Mirtazapine and she was eating like a pig that day. Since then the meds are not working. She's still sneezy.

Last night went back again to get fluids and now an antibiotic Zithromax because she's got green gunk in her nose and eyes. The vet said no more mirtazapine as she's had her max for the week. I have steamed the bathroom a few times so far but I don't notice if it helps, she hates it but I do what I need to do. One of my friends calls this the battle mode.

Tonight I am picking up something called Entyce. A new appetite stimulant for dogs but used off label for cats with lots of good reviews. She wants me to give her another 150 ml of fluids and they also prescribed a new way of giving Cerenia in the nose. It's a solution of cerenia and saline solution that has a pipet at the end and a small amount is squeezed into each nostril. The science behind it is saying that Cerenia has some anti inflammatory properties and it should coat the nasal passages to help with swelling. Obviously this isn't easy to do. She tolerated it on one side but not the other.

The zithromax which was started last night, should start kicking in by Saturday I would guess. She's still hanging out with Jon on the couch but can tell she's hungry. Her mouth was dry so that's why I wanted her to get more fluids.

They sent me home with a bag, needles and Zithromax. Today I pick up Entyce and tablet cerenia since the injections really bother her. She's the only cat I have been able to pill. She tolerates it very well. Now force feeding isn't an option. She tolerates a few bites then it's nope I am done. So the vet is hopeful that the next few days she should improve.

The good news is she didn't loose alot of weight-their scale was off. she's 12.2 lbs and 15 yrs old. She's my problem child and has a history of URI due to herpes virus. Yay. So she's bright eyed and still moving around although slower due to dehydration. I am having a really hard time emotionally so I am trying to retreat and not say anything.

I had a really bad anxiety episode the other night. The worse I have had in years. Soooo then we got this stupid snow and blinding cold weather and it's not even December. Yay.

So that's where we are at. I know it's just my depression talking but when one is in the thick of this battle it's very hard for me not to loose it.
:grouphug: Just read your post in another thread!:bawling2:I am so sorry for your, Jon and Honeybees loss of your wonderful Pumpkin Face :hearthrob::rbheart::redheartpump::grouphug2::bawling:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:grouphug::hearthrob::angel3::redheartpump::rbheart::hearthrob::grouphug2::vibes::vibes::vibes:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I feel the same mama africa mama africa . :bawling::cloudy::censored::bawling::bawling2:

After digesting the details of whats been going on the past few days, it breaks my heart that she had 3 bad days. She was stumbling and having trouble walking. I had called thr vetI don't know 3 or 4 times this week??? They said it is because she hasn't eaten. I said I don't think so. So that was Friday afternoon.

Yesterday when I came home from work and I flew home. I had a bad feeling. I came in and she wasnt on the couch. Jon said shes bloated and laying in the bedroom. She was trying hard to get up and as i knew.

I just picked her up as gently as I could and said Ive got to take her in. He said she's fine. I said no. Somethinf is wrong. Only 1 small pee ball despite the fluids. :bawling2::bawling2::bawling2:

So during the examine it was obvious she was in serious pain and trouble. the vet had a hard time locating the vein. I had them give her the sedative first and that took 4 to 5 minutes to work. Much longer than Floey. Floey was gone in seconds. But I know I did the right thing and bawled my eyes out.

I called Jon and my friend Jackie. I had to do what I had to do.:sniffle: The vet said it's obvious how bad she was from not being able to find a vein. Said sometimes the sedative drops the blood pressure pretty low. Or that tells me she had very limited blood in her extremities. This absolutely breaks my heart. But it's over. I'm crying obviously because I love her. But more so because should have put her down Thursday. She was restless and not comfortable at all although I did see her curled up Thursday night a few times. Well I guess it doesn't matter does it? I didnt cause it. Even if I wonder because we were pushing fluids and perhaps that accelerate the issues but she needed hydration as she was not outputting enough from Tuesday night to Saturday.

I will do some more digging to find out if any of the meds could have contradicted the issues but I doubt it. The aorta valve is where the failure was. I'm gonna have to study up on how this stuff works because I've never paid attention before.

I'm glad it wasn't cancer. I just kept thinking I lost 2 to cancer so said omg is my home not safe? Well now I know the facts. She had a murmur present in November last year. The friend I spoke to said most likely that's how it starts but she was fairly comfortable and seemed happy.

May my girl fly free with everyone elses baby. :rbheart:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
OH NO... I am so so so sorry... I too heard the news from another thread..

I am so sorry.. words do not express the grief, shock, and despair, I have for you..

Pumps knew you loved her, and was trying for her...

My good morning, turned into a bad day...
(((HGUS)))

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry. Know that you did everything you could for her. She knew that you loved her. I think they know when it's time and you did whatever you could for her. I know you're hurting and you will be for a while. But at some point, you'll think of her, you'll think of something that only she would do. And you'll smile. She was a good girl. And you're a good mom. :hugs: She knew love.

Status
Not open for further replies.