My Turn With A Sick Cat Uri And Pumpkin Face

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi guys, I have been busy since Friday trying to get my girl to eat. She's been sneezy and stuffy and post nasal drip. A classic URI.

We went to the vet Monday morning, got treatment of fluids, Cerenia, Mirtazapine and she was eating like a pig that day. Since then the meds are not working. She's still sneezy.

Last night went back again to get fluids and now an antibiotic Zithromax because she's got green gunk in her nose and eyes. The vet said no more mirtazapine as she's had her max for the week. I have steamed the bathroom a few times so far but I don't notice if it helps, she hates it but I do what I need to do. One of my friends calls this the battle mode.

Tonight I am picking up something called Entyce. A new appetite stimulant for dogs but used off label for cats with lots of good reviews. She wants me to give her another 150 ml of fluids and they also prescribed a new way of giving Cerenia in the nose. It's a solution of cerenia and saline solution that has a pipet at the end and a small amount is squeezed into each nostril. The science behind it is saying that Cerenia has some anti inflammatory properties and it should coat the nasal passages to help with swelling. Obviously this isn't easy to do. She tolerated it on one side but not the other.

The zithromax which was started last night, should start kicking in by Saturday I would guess. She's still hanging out with Jon on the couch but can tell she's hungry. Her mouth was dry so that's why I wanted her to get more fluids.

They sent me home with a bag, needles and Zithromax. Today I pick up Entyce and tablet cerenia since the injections really bother her. She's the only cat I have been able to pill. She tolerates it very well. Now force feeding isn't an option. She tolerates a few bites then it's nope I am done. So the vet is hopeful that the next few days she should improve.

The good news is she didn't loose alot of weight-their scale was off. she's 12.2 lbs and 15 yrs old. She's my problem child and has a history of URI due to herpes virus. Yay. So she's bright eyed and still moving around although slower due to dehydration. I am having a really hard time emotionally so I am trying to retreat and not say anything.

I had a really bad anxiety episode the other night. The worse I have had in years. Soooo then we got this stupid snow and blinding cold weather and it's not even December. Yay.

So that's where we are at. I know it's just my depression talking but when one is in the thick of this battle it's very hard for me not to loose it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:
Sending :vibes::vibes::vibes: for you and Pumps and more:grouphug2:

You are doing all you can for her. Sounds as if your Vet is really up to date on things.. great! Yes, the Entyce is new. I recently read about it on this site. And the Cerenia nose drops are definitely new.

It is so hard when our babies are sick.. I think we feel worse than they do.

Foxxycat, you are such a good mom.. willing to do/try anything..and you know so much about medicine..

It is depressing, and if you have an anxiety or depression issue; it is going to be worse.. But, know, that we are all here.. all of us..

Reach me anytime.. I mean it.. to chat or to talk..

Keep in there.. You are such a strong woman! so strong.. remember that.. This is just a cold.. and you have started with really great medicine and a great Vet..

And you know the 'tricks"...

love...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying not to cry is so hard. They say it's harder on the family to watch them suffer. This is so true. Jon's arthritis has kicked into high gear and it breaks my heart to see him in so much pain. And when our furry ones are not feeling well makes us a nervous mess.

Actually there are two different vets. They all work different days.

The only other thing I can think of is tooth issues. The vet didnt think that was it. One can hear her snotty breathing poor thing. Everyone at work is sneezing and coughing including myself. So it's just the pits.

The positive is her fur is shiny and soft. She's such a good girl but hates the vets. I read that the entyce has a weird taste so not sure if it will be tolerated. She is Jon's cat. Sleeps with him and they spend alot of time on the couch during the day. She was hanging out with him yesterday.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the cypro? That is what I used for Artie.. It is also an antihistamine...

I know, not crying is the hardest part.. I could just cry all day, on many days...
and it would not really do any good.. I would get sore eyes, sore nose, stuffed sinuses...swollen face.. all from crying... and the situation is still the same..

Yet, crying does help a bit...

You are doing all you can.. I mean it..

It is so hard.. just to watch and try to help, yet feeling helpless.. I know..

(((((HUGS))))

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried cypro the other night and it only made her spaced out. I was hoping it would dry up her sinuses and then eat. I know the drill. It just sucks how long it takes to get over the cold. She is a good girl and I try to stay on top of things because she is 15.

This reminds me of when Honeybee got the URI from hell in 2014 after the cat show I had her in. She was much sicker than Pumps. Lethargic and just scary sick. Took Zithromax 13 days into the illness to work.

The last time Pumps got this kind of illness the vets hemmed and hawed over the antibiotics and wasnt until day 11 they finally gave in. she must have some weird thing in her sinuses that she almost always gets an infection.

Thank you for your support. I am hoping that I will be all cried out so I can pull up my big girl pants and be an adult for a change.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping that I will be all cried out so I can pull up my big girl pants and be an adult for a change.
What the HECK are you talking about!?????!!!
be an adult for a change.
?????????????????????????????????

Do NOT even think that way.... We get it.. we all do...

I guess this is what being a good Mama is about.. After what I went through with Artie and now Geoffrey, I do not know how I could have been as a real human mom...

And YOU are a WONDERFUL MOM to both Pumps, HoneyBee and all your other angel babies... and to Jon.... yes, You have been forced to be an 'adult' way too young, and have had to deal with so much....

Only natural to cry... it is nature.. If you hold it in, things will be worse.. I mean it...

Cry, Scream, pound a pillow... grab a real handkerchief~~~ at least that is what my eye doctor said to use, instead of kleenex.. causes less irritation to the eyes... I saw her the day after having a crying night....

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that didn't go well.

Got the fluids warmed up and power went out. So got the big flashlight and got the fluids into her. 150ml. They wanted me to try for 200 but I got scared because it was maki ng a hard ball. They showed me how to move the skin around to absorb the fluid.

Then i did the entyce. Holy smoke. She foamed at the mouth which they already warned me she would do. Then 5 minutes later sge vomited it up.

I call vet. They said leave her be for an hour or so then if didn't eat then i have to force feed her. You know how hard it is to force feed a cat?! But hey i will try!. Prayers please!!!

Oh power came back on when we were halfway done fluids. Evidently it was a planned outage. Why they didnt do it during the day who knows?!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok i got another one in her. I got her Cerenia and zithromax suspension into her along with the baby food. By the time of second feeding 10 minutes later she was licking it off my finger. I'm taking my sleeping powder and when I wake at 1am I will feed her again then again at 5am. Ive got to work this weekend. Jon said he would help finger feed her. I didnt need the syringe.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she drinking any fluid? If so, you could try putting out a saucer of Kitten Milk Replacement. Also, If you have a Pet Smart handy, you ou might try their refrigerated food section. I've seen goat's milk at the local. Also, supermarkets are now carrying lactose free cow's milk. Any of those might entice her.

Good luck and keep us posted!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. Mingo had a URI that left him weak for days. He continued to eat, so I didn't take him to the vet, just gave him steam treatments, which he loved. It went on for so long and I was so worried that I looked up URIs on the internet, which said they could last from 7 to 21 days. I decided to wait for the 21 days and if he wasn't better to take him to the vet. On the 21st day, he got up from the couch and was his normal self again.

Everything you are doing will help her.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe i will drop 20 lbs. I could afford it. The one weekend they have me working and i can't take it off. So for now it's struggle to sleep an hour or so here and there. She's sleeping now. I hate seeing her be sick. Everyone at work is spreading the crud around and I've come down with it as well. so that's not helpful for my mental health. Kind of makes me understand what Pumps is going through. Shes such a good girl. I know she's getting up in age but she still has soft shiny hair. I keep tell myself to shut up and don't listen to the old tapes repeating the same nonsense for all my 43 years. You would think that I would know better. ugggg

Status
Not open for further replies.