My Sister Is Going To Declaw Her Cat

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i read that it not recommend to take their paws and make a scratching motion on the post because it can be a huge turn off for them, but ig it depends on the cat?
Luckily greg and arnold had not read that same article..lol.

These are very tough nylon rope posts that other cats had rejected. Now the are the ONLY places our boys scratch.

Last night we played "rip the mouse apart" against a scratching post. The boys are so used to the posts that they will often flop on the floor and lean against them....as if to say "this is mine"...... or wanting to play.

20181207_102524.jpg

Congrats on changing your sisters mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they get a small cheap black light they can find the spray spots, clean them with enzyme cleaner, which will keep the cat and/or dog from spraying the spot again. You gotta do this or you'll have constant territorial marking. That dude didn't think of territorial marking really makes me wonder about his vet school, unless, of course, he just did large animals like horses and cows.
I could be wrong about him going to vet school, just thought he did

Luckily greg and arnold had not read that same article..lol.

These are very tough nylon rope posts that other cats had rejected. Now the are the ONLY places our boys scratch.

Last night we played "rip the mouse apart" against a scratching post. The boys are so used to the posts that they will often flop on the floor and lean against them....as if to say "this is mine"...... or wanting to play.

View attachment 269676

Congrats on changing your sisters mind.
I read not to do that in multiple articles, but i guessing its depends on the cat and how comfortable they're to having their paws handled like that

I have told them when they do get a scratching post, is to make sure they play around it everyday and try to get the cat attack the post with his claws

gcat3000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just came upon this thread and had to skip to the end to find out how it turned out. I'm so glad it has a happy ending!

I also have some thoughts about scratching posts (apologies if any of this is rehash). I've got the same scratching post as Purr-fect (Ultimate Scratching Post), and it is awesome and very sturdy. My huge boy goes to town on it and it is showing no wear after an entire year. I actually got him to scratch on it initially (and can still prompt him to scratch on it) by scratching it with my own fingernails. It feels like we are both marking our place in our shared territory. Maybe give that technique a try? Another thing that works is if I place a treat or toy on top, which forces him to climb a bit to retrieve it.

I also noticed that placement of the scratcher really makes a difference. It has to be somewhere where the family spends a lot of time. I saved a fairly expensive chair just by moving my scratcher about 5 feet. He has 0 interest in scratching that chair now that the scratcher is closer.

Good luck, mwallace056, and thank you so much for saving your sister's kitty's claws!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy I got them not to declaw him cause they letting him outside at their new place and they haven't even bring there for a week. I didn't see him so I didn't get to confirm that he still have his claws.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you convinced them too! If he is outside and they are leaving to fend for himself then he has to have those claws. If you haven’t seen him, then I hope you see him soon if they have left him alone for a whole week. Is someone feeding and checking on him?
They said he comes back at night and mornings and I saw him briefly today, I checked if he has his claws and he does. I also saw few bowls around and they only have two pets so im assuming they're keeping him fed.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he's neutered, I talked them into it, found a certificate that made it cheaper for them too.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have saved that kitty in every way. Thank you. His life will be easier because of you. Hopefully they will give him the love he deserves. I can see that you do. :clap2:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I just need to get my other sister to get her cats neuter, they do spray the area of the door, and pees on clothes or anything soft, I had told her to get them check out by a vet but she thinks it's behavioral and I agree with her because they use the litter box with no issues and if the clothes is pick up, they don't find another place to pee. I'm thinking the peeing on clothes started off as anxiety or stress because they lived in a small motor home (they now lives in a house) with two kids and sometimes her husband play his music loud plus seeing my cats outside probably didn't help so obviously all that is nerve wracking for a cat and now is a habit, any idea how to break this habit? i have suggested to her to put a litter box or two upstairs from the basement. She does have multiple litter boxes but all are in the basement. I also think she's not cleaning the clothes thoroughly enough, I have suggested to wash the clothes at least twice and add some vinegar but she refuse to wash twice because she doesn't want to paid for the water