My Sister Is Going To Declaw Her Cat

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her cat scratches almost everything by the sounds of it, she tried things like deterrent spray, double sided tape. today i tried suggesting adding more scratching posts, putting a blanket over it, etc but she is set on declawing him, i tried to make her aware of the some possible behavioral problems. i sent her the TCS links on declawing and her answered was "still getting declaw" but i doubt she actually read all the articles because she responded too fast, to make matters worse the vet said "he will be fine" to being declaw so if anyone have any suggestions or ways to get her cat to stop scratching, or ways to convince her maybe trying other things before getting her declaw, i would highly appreciate it. i doubt i will be able to get her to try anything else but worth a shot?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is the cat? Is he neutered?

She may just be blowing off steam. Most people don't want to spend the money or put the time into booking the surgery if the cat is already neutered (most people just go for the lazy automatic "neuter and declaw").

I think there's a really good documentary on Youtube, I'll see if I can find the name. Most people will watch videos.
(Just look up The Paw Project on Youtube, I think you'll find the right ones)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
he is about a year old, and no he isn't neutered, i have been trying to get her to neuter him but they thinks it will make things worse or whatever, i don't know

She and her husband seems pretty set on getting him declaw, i don't know how to convince them otherwise especially since the vet said "he will be fine" i don't know if that the vet exact words, just what she said

yeah she might watch a video, i don't know if she will watch a long one though

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clawing is frequently territorial marking; neutering might help. It certainly wouldn't hurt! It won't, however, prevent all clawing, since cats do need to scratch to remove their claw sheaths. Does your sister actually care about her cat?

Margret

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clawing is frequently territorial marking; neutering might help. It certainly wouldn't hurt! It won't, however, prevent all clawing, since cats do need to scratch to remove their claw sheaths. Does your sister actually care about her cat?

Margret
I don't know, she is just tired of him scratching everything and everywhere, he does have one scratching post near or in his favorite place and supposedly its a good one.

Hi. First of all - get him neutered. That unto itself might solve a lot of the problems. Do you need for us to find articles on why that is the best thing for cats?? Will that even help convince her?
i doubt she will read any article but if you want to? i will try getting her to neuter him before declawing

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry, but I can't stop there...

I will not be able to quell your fears about declawing. But, I will tell you that I personally have had all my cats (front only) declawed without incident. I don't know that I will ever do it again with another cat, but as far as the past has gone I've had the same vet (father and son) for all three of my cats and there was never an issue with any of them.

I guess the key would be if it is absolutely necessary, to find a vet that can provide you with multiple records/references of no incidences. It is not a 'sure-fire' guarantee, but it is better than nothing.

For what it is worth, there are other tactics to try first - and I will probably do those first with my next baby, whenever I should have to lose Feeby.

Why You Should Not Want to Declaw Your Cat

Considering Declawing a Cat? Five Questions Answered!

5 Sane Alternatives to Declawing Cats | Catster

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, the vet will probably talk her into a "neuter and declaw" package :/.

Seriously, how is she living with the odor of a tomcat and whinning about clawing? That odor is enough to make me leave the house even if the tom uses the litterbox.

But anyway, just keep directing her to Youtube, there are a ton of anti-declaw videos there. Maybe one will hit home.

But she needs to get him neutered! If she doesn't like clawing she definitely won't like spraying. And if the vet is unethical and will de-claw the cat without neutering him (only a horrible vet would do that), he'll be helpless when she eventually throws him out for spraying.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I don't know if she has this kind of personality, but it may help to tell her to REALLY talk to her vet, in depth. One person on another forum said that her vet had always told her that de-clawing was fine, and she had all her cats de-clawed. She considered herself a committed and caring cat owner. After she read some articles and watched some videos, she went and asked her vet why she said that de-clawing was OK.

The vet said she really hated doing de-claws, that they're cruel and horrible, but she doesn't dare try to talk anyone out of it because she thinks some people will dump or kill their cat if they can't have it de-clawed. She (the cat owner) was horrified and asked the vet, didn't she trust her not to dump or kill her cats? And the vet just shrugged and said that she can't trust any pet owners. The cat owner felt terrible.

So, maybe, if your sister has an in-depth conversation with the vet, the vet will say something like that. Unless he just wants the easy money. . .

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, the vet will probably talk her into a "neuter and declaw" package :/.

Seriously, how is she living with the odor of a tomcat and whinning about clawing? That odor is enough to make me leave the house even if the tom uses the litterbox.

But anyway, just keep directing her to Youtube, there are a ton of anti-declaw videos there. Maybe one will hit home.

But she needs to get him neutered! If she doesn't like clawing she definitely won't like spraying. And if the vet is unethical and will de-claw the cat without neutering him (only a horrible vet would do that), he'll be helpless when she eventually throws him out for spraying.
surprisingly he haven't spray yet, but i have tried to get her neuter him a few times. its sad that her vet said "he will be fine" without explaining the risks with declawing, at least that what i assume he did

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And I don't know if she has this kind of personality, but it may help to tell her to REALLY talk to her vet, in depth. One person on another forum said that her vet had always told her that de-clawing was fine, and she had all her cats de-clawed. She considered herself a committed and caring cat owner. After she read some articles and watched some videos, she went and asked her vet why she said that de-clawing was OK.

The vet said she really hated doing de-claws, that they're cruel and horrible, but she doesn't dare try to talk anyone out of it because she thinks some people will dump or kill their cat if they can't have it de-clawed. She (the cat owner) was horrified and asked the vet, didn't she trust her not to dump or kill her cats? And the vet just shrugged and said that she can't trust any pet owners. The cat owner felt terrible.

So, maybe, if your sister has an in-depth conversation with the vet, the vet will say something like that. Unless he just wants the easy money. . .
i will try suggesting to her, or to her husband to have a in-depth conversation, i just don't know what to do or how to convince her, and i don't want to overwhelm her by sending bunch of videos or articles

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's probably the best then, tell her to have a long, in-depth conversation about the side effects and risks with the vet. I don't know how ethical that vet is, but If she already wants to de-claw the cat, it can't hurt and might help. And how can she object to you telling her to talk to the vet? ;)

Yeah, he's only a year old, it's not surprising that he doesn't spray yet. But he probably will start eventually. Like I said, only the very worst vets will de-claw an unneutered cat so hopefully that doesn't happen. A de-clawed tomcat thrown out of his house for spraying is probably in the worst position a cat can possibly be in (except for a de-clawed unspayed cat who was thrown out for howling in heat, who is trying to feed her babies without claws :().

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's probably the best then, tell her to have a long, in-depth conversation about the side effects and risks with the vet. I don't know how ethical that vet is, but If she already wants to de-claw the cat, it can't hurt and might help. And how can she object to you telling her to talk to the vet? ;)

Yeah, he's only a year old, it's not surprising that he doesn't spray yet. But he probably will start eventually. Like I said, only the very worst vets will de-claw an unneutered cat so hopefully that doesn't happen. A de-clawed tomcat thrown out of his house for spraying is probably in the worst position a cat can possibly be in (except for a de-clawed unspayed cat who was thrown out for howling in heat, who is trying to feed her babies without claws :().
its probably will be the only thing that will work, but if thats doesn't work, what some ways to ease the pain of declawing?

yeah i tried explaining to her once that he will spray cause most intact males do but like i said her and her husband thinks it will make things worse? so i don't know how to go about that.

Last edited:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hopefully he isn't trashy or just want to make some quick money, luckily my other sister won't ever declaw her cats and is aware of the problems declawing can cause.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mwallace056 : :rock: THANK YOU for speaking up for that poor cat!! So much territorial marking can also be an indication of insecurity - perhaps your sister's husband is resentful or jealous of the cat. Also, my experience is that it is usually men who are the ones who object to the thought of neutering a dog or cat.
Since a very common result of declawing is biting, there may be more negative results than litterbox problems. And if hubby (your sister's) already has issues with the cat, the cat might be at real risk.
Prayers and vibes that your sister is persuaded by you and does not have that kitty maimed by declawing. Please keep us posted, for better or worse. We are on your side!
:vibes::vibes::vibes::cheerleader::cheerleader::grouphug:

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M mwallace056 : :rock: THANK YOU for speaking up for that poor cat!! So much territorial marking can also be an indication of insecurity - perhaps your sister's husband is resentful or jealous of the cat. Also, my experience is that it is usually men who are the ones who object to the thought of neutering a dog or cat.
Since a very common result of declawing is biting, there may be more negative results than litterbox problems. And if hubby (your sister's) already has issues with the cat, the cat might be at real risk.
Prayers and vibes that your sister is persuaded by you and does not have that kitty maimed by declawing. Please keep us posted, for better or worse. We are on your side!
:vibes::vibes::vibes::cheerleader::cheerleader::grouphug:
actually according to my sister, he is very fond of the cat, its my sister who seem resentful, she even said she would let me have him if it wasnt for her husband's fondness of the cat and yeah i don't know exactly why her husband object getting him neuter, just know that they think it will make things worse

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why people think it's an ok thing to mutilate animals. Does she actually know what declawing is? Most people think it's just removing the claws and don't realize it's actually removing the tips of the toes. Which permanently disables the cat's ability to properly walk, stretch, and be a normal cat. I was able to convince my mother in-law to not declaw her cat once I explained that to her.

If she does know what happens during a declawing I suggest you tell her to give her cat up for adoption or to someone that actually cares about animals, because she clearly doesn't if she is knowingly planning to mutilate it for her own selfish benefit. Declawing is becoming banned in more and more places, because it's ANIMAL CRUELTY!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Declawing gets rid of the first bone in a cat's paw. Cats use their toes to walk properly. It's not hard to understand why a cat shouldn't be declawed...yet they don't want to do a basic necessary procedure like neutering?? Very odd. I hope they come around. As many have said, tomcats are not pleasant to live with! A lot of breeders have their toms living separately from their own home for this reason.