My savannah boy

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, Im new to the site. I have a savannah male that is almost 22 months old. I brought him home at the age of 16 weeks. Im very familar with hybrid cats and their behaviors and such. When I got him home he was petrified and when I called the breeder she bailed on me. No help at all. Said she didnt keep in touch with the cats once they left, which I found horrible. I felt deflated. I later found out that she didt handle the kittens much at all. When I took him to the vet to be checked the vet said he seemed feral.  Now many feral cats can be socialized but these cats tend to stay distant when they arent socialized at a young age. To be fair to this breed, if they are handled young, they are extremely affectionate and loving and secure.

It took 6 months for him to let me touch him and hes still scares easily, skittish, wont allow you to pick him up which scares me in the event of an emergency. Any insight from anyone would be great. I should say Ive tried it all..................feel so deflated.

ruby6689

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can't help you but I was very curious as to what a Savannah breed was as we do not have them here in Australia (as far as I know). What a beautiful cat.

My young cat has never liked to be handled but slowly, slowly he is coming around.....on his terms. If you fall asleep on the lounge he will sit on your lap!

Good luck, I hope he settles.

I'm sure there are many members here that can give you some good advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you. They are bred from african serval cats.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will probably never be a snuggly cat. 
Your expectations should be "he does his thing, you do yours, and maybe a few times a day....you can get a little petting in"

If it turns into being more than that, be grateful.

How far removed is he supposed to be?

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I never said I had those expectations. Im more concerned about his well being and happiness. So I think you may have misunderstood my concern

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he needs to go to the vet, can you wrangle him up and get him into a carrier?  
Once in a carrier, it's just going to a bad day for him, you, and the vet.  (most of which would be same regardless of how socialized he is).

I took a happy, lovey, snuggly, well socialized kitty to the vet this morning.
Once there....they found his growl (he's NEVER growled before).  He was scared and chomped a hole in my finger.
Basically, he was acting as wild as they come. 
The only difference was "getting him there".  It was easy to round him up and put him in a carrier because he's pretty well socialized.  But, once there?  No different than a wild badger. LOL.

Poor kitty.  Just had a bad morning.  He's back to being a good boy now.
BUT, if he wasn't socialized?  I'd probably have to had to dress up like a hockey player just to get him in a carrier.

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God no, he hates the vet and they are so good there, He leaves his gifts everywhere lol.