My Roommates' Cat is Attacking My Cat

sng0224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My roommate and I have been living together for around two years. She has a female cat (Uzi, one year old) who gets along very well with my male cat (Charlie, 2 years old). This June she adopted another female cat from a shelter (Venus, one year old but seven months younger than Uzi). I was not at the apartment for the summer, but I returned in August. So Charlie and Venus have been in contact for around 4 months now.

All of our cats are spayed/neutered. Her two cats spend a lot of time in the living room/kitchen while Charlie stays almost exclusively in my room. Uzi and Venus don't get along very well either, but Venus doesn't attack Uzi very often. Usually when she does, Uzi hisses at her and Venus doesn't physically attack her after that. Venus is very loving and a sweet cat, she just has issues with the other cats. Her cats spend a lot of time around each other and Venus attacks Uzi about once or twice a day. When they are at my roommates family home, they are able to be on the bed together and be calm, but in our apartment they can barely be in the same room together comfortably.

She keeps their food and water bowl in the living room and their litter box in her room. Charlie is very timid and stays close to me most of the time. Venus likes to stalk him as often as possible. Whenever I am in my room or in the living room, she will try multiple times to go into my room and find him. Whenever she does, we call her back or go shoo her away. After a while, she will ditch that strategy and just sprint straight into my room and there will be loud growling and hissing. It always occurs under my bed, because that is where my cat hides. When we go into the room and try to get her out, she very easily leaves. We don't have to grab her or force her out from under the bed, she will usually leave after the fight. This occurs around three-four times a day. It happens less when I keep the door closed, obviously, but she will take almost any opportunity when it's open.

When Charlie comes into the living room, which is very rare now, he will sometimes slowly walk out and eventually come lay with me. More commonly, he comes out and retreats before he even sees her. When he does see Venus, he keeps an eye on her but will continue coming to me or will go back to the room. When he runs back, she will often chase after him and the same fighting will occur.

Whenever Venus sees Charlie, she will stare at him the entire time and won't look away even if we are trying to get her attention away from him. Sometimes using a toy will work for a few seconds, but she will look back. She doesn't attack him in the living room, but will wait for him to run back to my room. Charlie usually doesn't have scratches or anything from their fights, but will sometimes have a scratch on his nose or mouth after (one time he had a scratch on the tip of his ear that bled).

I try to keep them apart as often as possible, but I don't like cooping him up in the room all the time. But when I leave my door open, Venus will try to come in and go after him. Whenever I leave the apartment, I close my door because if I leave it open she will come running out with her tail poofed when I open the front door. So she will always be in there if I leave it open. Sometimes she sits in the hallway staring into the room and will chirp at him and swish her tail. I'm not sure if it's play aggression or what, but I've tried looking up online what it might be and nothing fits the bill.

They aren't fighting over territory, attention, or resources, and she is provided plenty of toys and play so I can't find a reason why she would be so intent on attacking him. He never fights back and will just growl and yell when they fight, I know this because she never comes away from the fight with any scratches. Today she went after him four times. One of the times she hid under my bed while Charlie was laying with me, and when he jumped down to see what Uzi was doing in the hallway she came out and chased him through the living room and back into my room.

Charlie used to be very comfortable going into the living room and all around the house and would regularly play with Uzi, but he now runs from her whenever Uzi tries to play with him and rarely leaves my room. I'm sure it's causing him stress and we are incredibly frustrated trying to figure out what to do. Uzi also displays different behavior when she is around. Also, I think it's important to mention that both Charlie and Uzi are quite a bit bigger than Venus, so she is not larger than them.

I'm not sure how we should go about fixing this, so if anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Last edited by a moderator:

cylon.descendant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, I'm sorry I'm not able to write a full response at the moment. But in lieu of that, I did want to at least mention that Jackson Galaxy videos may be of some help. I'm not sure if you're familiar with him, but he has quite a bit of advice on introducing cats to each other (and going through a re-introduction if they're not getting along). If you search up his name alongside "introducing cats" or even "cats fighting each other" or something like that, I think you'll find some stuff. Sorry if you've already tried this!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a couple of 'Kickeroos' online at Amazon, or any pet site, and throw it towards Venus when she seems intent on chasing the other cats, it is a great distraction and gets rid of pent-up energy. They are irresistible! I have two because I keep one at all times in a plastic bag with catnip to keep it enticing and interchange them every few days. I think Venus is just a lot younger than them and wants to play more and the others do not. Two females usually do not get along great, they are very territorial, but they will learn to co-exist and become a family unit in time.

It sounds like Venus was separated from her cat family too young (before twelve weeks) and did not learn to play well with others. It's sad your poor boy has to retreat in his own home, but I think in time he and Uzi will eventually learn to stand up for themselves and hold her off, and she will mellow with age. If she leaves somewhat easily, and these 'exchanges' do not last long, I think everything is pretty normal. When the older cats run from her it encouraged her chase instinct and she does, my cats did the same thing, and once they stood up to the little bully and stopped running it stopped.

My cats took a year before everything settled down, so as long as you don't have deep bites or blood that is beyond a little scratch, everything is normal. If you can get to her in your room, and are able to touch her, if you take her by the loose skin on the back of the neck and hold her still on the ground, saying NO loudly or hissing at her, this is a way of disciplining her. Only hold her until she stills, and NEVER lift a cat this way it could hurt them when they are heavier than a tiny kitten, but it is a last resort way of giving discipline as a mama cat would. Good luck, I pray everything works out!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi sng0224 sng0224 and welcome to the site!
Firstly, that was a huge block of text, and I needed to go through it to break it into paragraphs.. members would have trouble getting through it otherwise. .. Just something to keep in mind for the future. ;)

di and bob di and bob has some great ideas.
Also, it's probably a little late for the whole intro thing (although reintroducing can be done if it seems like it may be helpful). We have some excellent articles on that:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's always good though to have a lot of info, there are often things we pick up on in paragraphs that seem inconsequential. As a point, I thought it was very interesting that your boy avoids Venus but he does come back into a room with her, and even goes to see what she is doing. That tells a lot. It means that even though she is a pest and he is not comfortable with her fully yet, and may even be getting a little hurt, he does not hide from her all the time like he would if he was really getting hurt or did not like her at all. So that is why I really think time and then finally standing up to her will bring harmony. Cats will avoid at all costs a cat that is truly hurting them, she is just being obnoxious right now, like all young cats are to older ones....

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How big is the space all of you are sharing? It may be that the cats dont have their "own" space.

If you dont have much floor area, you could try making vertical space. This could be with tall cat trees or cat ladders. The top of the tree or ladder would have just enough room for one cat and it would have to be jumped to (easily), making it difficult for a bullying cat to reach if the spot was occupied. This way the abused cat can safely observe the other cats. I saw this on a tv cat show.