My Pu Cats Story

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ruffles is a 3 year old siamese. He is so loving and goofy. I got him from a rescue and since then we have been in a battle with UTI. After serveral trips to the vet (700$) Antibiotics each time he ended up blocking a a week ago. Being that he had UTI back to back and seemed to have a chronic issue the vet advised the PU surgery. I nervously agreed. He had surgery on a Friday, stayed the weekend and i picked him up on Monday. Everything has been good other then staying up until 2am every morning watching him like a hawk. He has peed everyday and pooed atleast 3 times. ( Its now day 7 ) since he has been home. He does look scabby, red and clear discharge. Now here is when its gotten rocky for us...(yesterday) he was able to get his cone off and lick when i wasnt paying attention !! Terrified i took a picture and the vet wanted me to bring him in asap. The vet who did the surgery wasnt in but another vet checked him and indeed he had chewed off some stitches! I was horrified. They said try to keep urine away from the incision...umm HOW!? I read potrolium jelly to prevent urine scald but idk if it goes all over it or just on sides of the incision. He growls after he pees. Only after not during, no straining so i think the urine is burning/stinging his exposed cut. Also, they didnt leave a catheter in? Is that normal? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Im so exhausted an this has been a nightmare.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 265553

Right after licking and busting stitched on one side
The more gruesome photo is today. He cant lick so its getting nasty. Scabbing more but you can see the urine ( yellow ). Should i put any jelly on it? To try to help prevent urine scald? Ive seen so many diff opinions, dont touch at all....put jelly or A&D on it...only put around an some say all over

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm so sorry your cat is having health problems post-surgery. I would recommend contacting your vet with any questions or concerns. Perhaps you can even e-mail the pics to them.

Here is a helpful Article on FLUTD:
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd)

Also a thread that discusses FLUTD and PU surgery:
What Is The Standard Treatment For Flutd?

Fingers crossed for Ruffles, please keep us posted on his progress. :crossfingers:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh the poor thing! And poor you, but kudos, for being such great cat mom!
Did the vet suggest putting any ointment or jelly on the wound? Is there a way you could ask them about where to put it?
When it comes to keeping the area clean from urine, I would use a saline solution for all around the area and a cooled chamomile tea bag or compress made from cooled chamomile tea (from a tea bag) and a q-tip or cotton pad, for the wound itself, and gently dab the area.
Chamomile tea has soothing, healing and mild antiseptic properties, so it could help the healing process and sooth his skin for peeing.
I have also leaned that a saline solution made with epsom salts rather than table salt (if you choose to make your own) stings less, if it gets onto an open wound.
When it comes to putting ointment on a wound, the rule of thumb I follow is you can put it on the wound if it's still open to protect it, but if it has started to heal/dry/scab, you don't want it to get/stay moist. The wound needs to be able to dry and scab to heal properly. Once the wound has dried, the stinging he feels from peeing should stop, so you want to encourage the wound to dry, so you will most likely need to be diligent on gently cleaning and drying his fur (as best you can) after every time he pees, if he's being a messy pee'er.
Sorry I'm not much help when it comes to your specific question in placement of ointment/jelly but I really think your vet should answer that one.
Good luck with everything, and I hope Ruffles recovers quickly!!

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. He was at just yesterday to get checked after he got cone off . Im just a worrywart an think im over obsessing about this. Lol. I just love him so much and want him to be ok

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the vet suggest putting any ointment or jelly on the wound? Is there a way you could ask them about where to put it?
When it comes to keeping the area clean from urine, I would use a saline solution for all around the area and a cooled chamomile tea bag or compress made from cooled chamomile tea (from a tea bag) and a q-tip or cotton pad, for the wound itself, and gently dab the area.
Chamomile tea has soothing, healing and mild antiseptic properties, so it could help the healing process and sooth his skin for peeing.
I have also leaned that a saline solution made with epsom salts rather than table salt (if you choose to make your own) stings less, if it gets onto an open wound.
When it comes to putting ointment on a wound, the rule of thumb I follow is you can put it on the wound if it's still open to protect it, but if it has started to heal/dry/scab, you don't want it to get/stay moist. The wound needs to be able to dry and scab to heal properly. Once the wound has dried, the stinging he feels from peeing should stop, so you want to encourage the wound to dry, so you will most likely need to be diligent on gently cleaning and drying his fur (as best you can) after every time he pees, if he's being a messy pee'er.
Sorry I'm not much help when it comes to your specific question in placement of ointment/jelly but I really think your vet should answer that one.
Thank you! They didnt mention any jelly but from research ive seen it done to prevent urine scald. They said too keep urine off it an keep clean...umm i feel like i shouldnt touch it much in fear of disrupting the stitches more considering he popped one side of them off. So not really sure how to keep it clean... he is peeing and pooing just growls after peeing an i know he is going crazy to lick it after plus is must burn

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Along with the great advice you've gotten, are you adjusting his diet? I'm assuming he was getting kibble?

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly our vet is closed weekends ;(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you put the cone back on? I think he really needs the cone if he's licking the area. I noticed in the photo that his cone was a "hard" cone. You can get soft ones that cats seem to like better as they can move and sleep more comfortably, but it still stops them from being able to reach a wound. He may be more willing to keep the cone on if it doesn't bug him as much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried this? If you call the regular clinic number, listen to the greeting and they should provide an emergency contact number...

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried this? If you call the regular clinic number, listen to the greeting and they should provide an emergency contact number...
He is on science diet veterinarian recommended urinary canned food

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you put the cone back on? I think he really needs the cone if he's licking the area. I noticed in the photo that his cone was a "hard" cone. You can get soft ones that cats seem to like better as they can move and sleep more comfortably, but it still stops them from being able to reach a wound. He may be more willing to keep the cone on if it doesn't bug him as much.

Oh yes cones 247. This is the new cone. The one from the vet was hard plastic, the new one is solf an has a fuzzy material inside

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It just give number for emergency clinic at a diff vet not the one who did his surgery

Rufflesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where would i get saline water?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
So, at least you have a vet to speak with, even if it's not the one who did the surgery. That might not be a bad thing, you could ask about the catheter and see what this other vet says.