My Pregnant Beautiful Queen

TexasRebel92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and hope i can get my questions answered and of course I'll keep everyone updated on the process. So i have 2 beautiful queens pregnant, i know thats crazy sounding but its the truth. One was an outside cat and the other is an indoor cat. My outside cat, Oakley who is almost 2 yrs old, and she had passed a empty sac 2 days ago, so i took her to the vet to find out it was an empty sac and its common that queens pass the empty sacs and not to worry about it, so of course I've been keeping an eye on her. As of 2 days ago I've been keeping track of her temp, 2 days ago its been 101 since she passed the empty placenta, but yesterday at 8:10am it was at 100.7 and then at 4:25pm it was 99.9 and i checked again before i went to bed and it was still 99.9. This morning at 9am it was 100, she hasnt shown any sign of labour or nesting, i made up her nesting box in an area away from my toddlers and in a dimly light area with food and water near. She hasnt been wanting to eat during the day and all she does is sleep during the day but is somewhat active at night. Oakley has been having soft stools as well so im not sure what that means and Oakley isnt big at all.

For Autumn she has always been an inside cat but got out during the last week of March because of my kids so i feel she could have mated during the time she was out i dont know the exact day she mated so im not sure how far along she is, but i swear she is the size of a football width wise. She has a nesting box in our room to keep the queens separate since Oakley attacks every chance she gets. Last week for several days she has been like a clear white discharged but that has stopped. So when i started taking rectal temp of Oakley i started with Autumn as well, so her temp was over 101 2 days ago (same with Oakleys temp), but yesterday morning at 8am it was at 100.2, at 4:20pm it was 99.1 and again before bed i checked again because i thought last night was the time and it went back up to 100.5, but my husband wanted me to check her temp again because he was worried because she kepted meowing and pacing but wasnt panting or showing the other signs of labor and it was 99.6. So we were excited and i somewhat stayed awake through out the night and kepted checking on her and nothing happened. So this morning i checked and its back down at 99.6 and shes been sleeping but will eat little amounts of food and keep drinking water but no signs again besides she has had soft stools for 2 days now. I'm not sure why her temp keeps going up and down.

Can anyone help or suggest anything.

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are pregnant for about 65 days, if she got out around the end of March, she isn't quite due yet and probably has a few more days to go. If you know the dates of her last heat that might help you in determining her due date more closely.
There's lots of great links on this site regarding newborn kitten care and signs of impending labour.

Im not an expert here, Im also waiting patiently for my cat to have babies too! Her last heat was March 18th.. so any day now! Best of luck, waiting is the hardest part!!!

Also, your cats can become pregnant again very soon after delivery so make sure you keep them inside and spay them as soon as the kittens are weaned as back to back pregnancies are very hard on cats! Also it is best to keep your outside kitty inside.. further mating while she is pregnant can cause complications, and you wouldn't want her to give birth outdoors!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TexasRebel92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey lulu97 thanks for replying. I didn't know she was in heat when she got out. She was out for a full week until I caught her eating and then I snatched her up. Well I hope it's some time this week for both lol this waiting game sucks. Lol

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey lulu97 thanks for replying. I didn't know she was in heat when she got out. She was out for a full week until I caught her eating and then I snatched her up. Well I hope it's some time this week for both lol this waiting game sucks. Lol
Cats can get pregnant even when they are not in heat. They ovulate because of the act of mating. The above poster is right that they should not go out at all until they are spayed.

Temperature is not a reliable indication, so I would skip it. It's stressful for mom.

Do you have kitten supplies assembled? A small scale, kmr, a needleless syringe, etc?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Temperature is not a reliable indicator of impending labor, as you have by now realized.

They both sound as though they are getting close though.

TexasRebel92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi talkingpeanut,
I do understand this, they will not be going outside and will be spayed. I was told by our very that we don't need a scale kmr or syringe. All I need she said was clean towels, dental foolish and flat base scissors.

TexasRebel92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Sarthur,
I wish that the temperature is reliable it would really help us understand lol

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi talkingpeanut,
I do understand this, they will not be going outside and will be spayed. I was told by our very that we don't need a scale kmr or syringe. All I need she said was clean towels, dental foolish and flat base scissors.
I respectfully disagree. Perhaps your vet was just giving direction for the births? You will want to weigh the kittens every day to make sure they are thriving. The kmr and syringe are in case they aren't doing well. You don't want to wait for an emergency.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If a kitten has trouble latching and nursing, or is of premature birth weight, you will need KMR and a syringe.

If mom drinks a dish of KMR a day it will help her calcium needs, especially if she has a large litter. The KMR will not go to waste.

TexasRebel92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a sergeant mother of either of the kittens don't latch.
Update on body temp. I know y'all say that it's not important but Autumn's temp Oscar 99.3° now.

TexasRebel92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet told me that if any of the kittens don't latch or the queen pushes one or two away I can use the other queen to mother the kitten she said she's seen many cats do that,Be foster mom. The vet said she's never heard of a queen push away a kitten that isn't hers.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a kitten isn't nursing because the kitten is too weak, it won't matter which mom it is trying to nurse off of. Runts frequently need a little extra in order to thrive. Otherwise they are pushed off the nipple by stronger siblings, and might get too weak to make any effort at all. Those kittens die without help.

I don't see any reasons not to have back up on hand just in case.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: Thanks, Talking Peanut, that was my point.

A too small, too weak, or preemie kitten can potentially be saved if you have supplies on hand.

lulu97

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think supplementing often needs to be done more than we think. A lot of kittens just don't gain as much as their siblings and they can "fade".. and eventually die. Its a great idea to have these supplies on hand if you can! With two litters on the way, you are bound to have a runt who may need a little extra help!

TexasRebel92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omgosh... I can't believe this. I'm at a business event and my husband calls me up freaking the hell out because autumn was pacing, meowing loud like she's in pain and breathing heavily and licking her self constantly down there. This was 40mins ago and now she has fallen back to sleep. Ladies does this mean she's officially in labour and is a normal for cats to have rest periods?