My Pregger Stray

Melissa M Sementelli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my name is Melissa. About 2 weeks ago my daughters brought in a pregnant stray from a bad storm outside. We brought her in, and named her Storm. The next day is shen we realized she was pregnant. We brought her to the vet because she was so skinny and was already showing quite a bit. Vet said she was a little under nourished told me to add bacon fat to kitten food and she would be fine. This was on July 1st. We could already feel her babies moving at this point. Today, her belly is getting so hard. I think I can feel the entire horn. She is licking a lot as well but I am not sure she can reach her bum because she leaves it quite yuk. Anyhow, are these early contractions that I am feeling and seeing? The kittens are moving around like crazy and it seems like this is when her belly gets really hard. No pushing,and I try to keep up with her breathing but it is fast. Thanks in advance for the answers. I know it is close but we dont know how close.

Attachments

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome, you have come to the right place. Thank you for rescuing her She's very pretty. It sounds like.she.is very close. I'm not experienced in kittens and pregnant cats but someone should be along soon with some advice.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi firstly thank you for taking her in ! Many would go mad if their children brought in a stray let alone a pregnant one. Does she have discharge yet ? It's usually within 24 after that . As desert82 advises there are many experts here plus 2 other threads ive just seen under new posts of people going through the same - cats currently in labour

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect its the Braxton Hicks precontractions so she hasnt dropped yet. Three days more?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melissa M Sementelli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a profile of her belly. Does it look like she has dropped? What can I look for? My kids are so very excited and I must admit I am as well. We have already found homes for the babies after a local rescue I hooked up with fixes them for $10 each! Storm is kida a big hit in my town. I posted about her on a local freecycle page asking if any one was missing a cat. Everybody is waoting for her to have them.

Attachments

Melissa M Sementelli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You guys!!!!! She is pushing!!! She came and got me and wants me there with her. I am bawling like a baby

Melissa M Sementelli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is pushing you guys! She just came to get me! She wants me there! I am bawling!

Melissa M Sementelli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
6 babies! I think there is one more. I say that is a lot for a first litter in such a small cat! That Tom had his way with her. I will post pics very soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is a lot. Are they all healthy and nursing well?

We look forward to pictures! :)

Melissa M Sementelli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All are great and it seems as though they know just what to do

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Watch for runts with 6 or more. Sometimes the smaller kittens get bullied off nipples.

Each kitten needs to gain 6-10 grams per day. Weigh daily.

You may end up needing to supplement the smaller ones if they are not gaining well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh boy! You really must weigh them and keep track.

You may need to rotate them on mama in two groups of four. When you do this, the "extra" group is kept warm in a second box with a heating pad set on low under a blanket. Rotate every 2 hours.

You will probably still need to supplement the small kittens.

Mom's going to need lots of food for nursing.

Eight is a lot of kittens!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! 8 babies !!! Storm will be kept busy. Do as Sarthur2 says and weigh them and rotate them. Do you have milk supplement for them just in case you need to help muma out ? Kitten replacement milk ?