My Poor Judgment Killed My Cat

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No no that is not true at all, you provided the best care you were able to provide, that is not poor judgement.

I had a similar situation not long ago with my beloved Sonic, where all his blood tests and urinalysis didn't show anything serious wrong, abdominal ultrasound showed nothing. We were keeping an eye on him and put him on early renal food just in case. He was dead of kidney disease not long after, went into end stage renal failure without it being picked up on tests - we'd have had to have been testing him every few weeks in order to detect it, and even then we may not have been able to do anything to help him.

VERY similar story to yours here.

Even though I know that it is not my fault and I probably wouldn't have been able to do anything if I'd had more tests done in November (they might have still picked up nothing untoward, or it may still have been too late), I still absolutely tear myself apart over the what-ifs every day. I think it's just a part of the grieving process when you are responsible for a loved one 100% that you feel these things and doubt yourself and the decisions you have made for your beloved.

It isn't needed though, I know rationally that what happened to my boy was not my fault - I went above and beyond always for him, and so did you and it is none of this is your fault either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Epona, I am so sorry to hear you also lost your cat to kidney failure. Our cats are our closest friends. They share so much with us and love us so deeply. I feel like the spiritual connection I've had with my cats surpasses everything. Cherish your memories of Sonic forever.

SadCatOwner32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar situation not long ago with my beloved Sonic, where all his blood tests and urinalysis didn't show anything serious wrong, abdominal ultrasound showed nothing. We were keeping an eye on him and put him on early renal food just in case. He was dead of kidney disease not long after, went into end stage renal failure without it being picked up on tests - we'd have had to have been testing him every few weeks in order to detect it, and even then we may not have been able to do anything to help him.
10 minutes until the vet shows to put mine down. This is making me feel better.

The blood tests and urine didn't raise any red flags either. Though my doctor told me that different diseases can mask renal failure on lab tests. So we looked for those and that was inconclusive as well. Meanwhile, he is throwing up... losing weight... miserable looking sleeping all the time. My vet was obsessed with the numbers and wouldn't give treatments because the blood tests said he was ok, despite the evidence.

Finally after trying everything -- everything -- and nothing fixing things... I called the vet to put him down. If I didn't have blood tests everyone would agree he was very sick, throwing up for 9 months every 48 hours, losing weight rapidly, no muscle tone, trouble walking, sleep all day... all signs something is seriously wrong... but those tests say he is fine...

I don't know what the problem is but there is a problem.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The blood tests and urine didn't raise any red flags either. Though my doctor told me that different diseases can mask renal failure on lab tests. So we looked for those and that was inconclusive as well. Meanwhile, he is throwing up... losing weight... miserable looking sleeping all the time. My vet was obsessed with the numbers and wouldn't give treatments because the blood tests said he was ok, despite the evidence.

Finally after trying everything -- everything -- and nothing fixing things... I called the vet to put him down. If I didn't have blood tests everyone would agree he was very sick, throwing up for 9 months every 48 hours, losing weight rapidly, no muscle tone, trouble walking, sleep all day... all signs something is seriously wrong... but those tests say he is fine...

I am so sorry 😿 hugs to you…

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry for your loss. Poor baby. It is so frustrating and heartbreaking when these things happen that are out of our control. Your sweet Sonic lives on in your heart forever, and I believe he will also visit you in your dreams.