My Picky Kitty

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My name is Alexis and i am at the end of my ropes. my cat Leo is an extremely picky eater. He is a 7 year old brown tabby and i am 19 and have had him since i was 12. I have tried many foods over the years due to his picky eating and its only gotten worse and worse over the years. In the last few months he has been relentlessly meowing at me in front of his bowl and for awhile i thought it was because he simply wanted a coat of fresh food over the food that has been there for awhile (which has been happening since we got him) we have had him since he was 2 months old and hes always been like this. he also has only eaten exclusively dry food and has never wanted wet food. So about 3 weeks ago i got him another pack of food that he had been liking and weve bought a few times over the years but once again has refused to eat it. i was very upset because i work as a babysitter and only make $5 an hour, so i cannot buy him all the food in the world. so yesteday i bought him some kibble from heart & tail and two treat bags one salmon and one chicken and i got him 3 cans of the chicken wet food, all heart and tail. he has refused to eat the treats and the kibble alone so i put some wet food in the kibble and he finally started eating! i was overjoyed however i woke up this morning to find that he had barely touched his food overnight and was once again meowing in front of his full bowls. i am very scared for him because of how picky has been getting. he is not showing any signs of illness, in fact he seems much more happier and more playful and even snugglier! he has become more kind over these 7 years however now that i can choose his food i do not know what i am doing wrong. please help me find something for my picky kitty.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sorry it's your picky eater kitty, Leo, that brought you here. :(

Has Leo had a vet checkup lately? If not, it might be a good idea, just to see what the vet thinks of his weight. It may be that he's a healthy weight, and it just seems as though he's not eating enough.

Meanwhile, here's a TCS article that might have some tips for you:
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
A cat that won't eat is so frustrating!
I don't know what you've tried, or what's near you to buy from but what about fancy feast?
Do you have a grocery store or a Walmart near you that you could try their cat foods, or have you already?
Try spreading his food out on a flat paper plate :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have at least 3 different foods he has liked to eat - at least off-n-on - have you alternated them (every 3 days/meals) to see if that stops his instantaneous boredom with one particular food? Perhaps, intermix them with some canned tuna water, and broths (low/no sodium) since I believe you said he will eat some wet foods - so, you could add the tuna water/broths to the dry? I would try it, if you haven't already, and keep a daily diary of what you're doing to see if the swapping back and forth works.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have at least 3 different foods he has liked to eat - at least off-n-on - have you alternated them (every 3 days/meals) to see if that stops his instantaneous boredom with one particular food? Perhaps, intermix them with some canned tuna water, and broths (low/no sodium) since I believe you said he will eat some wet foods - so, you could add the tuna water/broths to the dry? I would try it, if you haven't already, and keep a daily diary of what you're doing to see if the swapping back and forth works.
i have never tried to alternate foods, only yesterday in seven years ive seen actually eat wet food instead of sniffing it and licking it a couple times. i have never tried a broth in his food since he has never wanted to eat his food wet. i do not know if hes simply bored or is hating everything i am giving him :(

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
A cat that won't eat is so frustrating!
I don't know what you've tried, or what's near you to buy from but what about fancy feast?
Do you have a grocery store or a Walmart near you that you could try their cat foods, or have you already?
Try spreading his food out on a flat paper plate :)
i live down the street from a pet supermarket! it is a 10 minute walk and i often go there to search for food. i dont believe i have ever tried fancy feast, i forgot the brand i gave him for the past months because i never look at the brand just whats in the food and what the base meat is and i put his food in a container and throw away the bag so i wont know unless i go to the store. he only ate wet food for the first time yesterday in seven years of his life :( i do not know what the problem is i ecen bought him new bowls that are small and low for easy eating and he seems to not mind the bowl just the food :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did this just start with the new bowls? Cats are weird and sometimes new bowls can put them off enough to stop eating.

Also, go to the clerk at the pet store and tell them your cat is picky and ask if they have any samples they could give you. That might be the secret to finding what he likes!

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did this just start with the new bowls? Cats are weird and sometimes new bowls can put them off enough to stop eating.

Also, go to the clerk at the pet store and tell them your cat is picky and ask if they have any samples they could give you. That might be the secret to finding what he likes!
nope! he has had plenty of bowls over the years and all over them he had no problems with, he is simply a picky eater from the moment we have brought him home! :') i love him with all my heart and have cried and begged him to eat his food but he only meows haha. he is not sick in any way and his teeth are Very healthy! i've called him king leo for years since its always been his rules and he will not bend, he is very vocal about what he does not like. hes also been pampered for the past few months since ive gotten a job ther

Haha i wish it was the bowls leo has been picky since the moment he came home to us from the shelter, he has lived basically his entire life with us and we know him very well and one thing we know is for sure: he is a picky eater. he has had many bowls and have had no problems adjusting to them, ive called him King Leo since its house and he makes the rules even swatting away my sisters pitbull no problem! he is a cat with a lot of personality and for most of these years he knew that the food he got he would have for awhile and would eat it but he would refuse to sometimes, even if it meant starving! as hes gotten older hes just getting pickier, perhaps he just wants different variety now i am not sure :(

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try a flat paper plate (one use then dispose so bacteria doesn't grow) you might be surprised :)
Oh my goodness!!!!!! earlier i mixed his food and put a little wet food in and he seemed to like that but was once again meowing at his bowl! just now i read your comment an decided to do it and hes eating!!!!!!! i will check in tomorrow to see how much more he has eaten but thank you for now! i will post an update tomorrow

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the help <3 although my kitty leo is still very picky i believe he just likes his food fresh now! ive seen him refuse fresh food before so i did not think it was the problem! you guys saying to alternate his food and feet him on a lower bowl saved me <3 i have two different foods for him and mixed/put them alone with some wet food and hes eating well! on a paper plate too! i will be switching back to his lower food bowl that he had when he was younger! this morning i woke up to once again untouched food and decided to only give him a Smidge of dry food and some wet food and he ate it all! i guess i will have to feed him every few hours a little at a time but as long as it makes him happy and discontinues his food waste i dont mind it!! i cant thank you enough <3 i will be going to the pet store to get some more variety!

leo gives a huge thanks too!!!!

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone wondering what happened with Leo since this post I will tell you! ;) Leo like I said before is extremely picky and if he likes something he will have it any other way! The day he ate wet food fully for the first time he said NO more dry food mom!!!! :angrycat: i have tried multiple times over the last few days to coax him into some dry food and he is Not having it!!! i even put it in his low bowl like with the wet food (which saved me because leo is eating his food now) so i have decided to put him on a only wet food diet and have been doing a LOT of research into some foods!! i decided to weigh him so i could portion his food and i was surprised !!!!! LEO IS A BIG 16 POUNDS!!!!!! i had NO idea because he in no way looks heavy (to me) and i can pick him up very easily!!!!! i feel so bad because i would leave out dry food all day and water and i noticed since giving him wet food his water intake has decreased which scared me! however after some research and looking at the labels i found that the wet food contains a lot of water!! leo is a long cat though so i do not know if his weight is correct or not if you guys could help me with that id love it!! heres a picture of Leo next to my one year old nephew for comparison

(excuse the mess) but anyway! if i can have some insight on Leo's size and some wet food recommendations i'd appreciate it!!
Also i want to say that for most of Leo's life i could not choose his food due to me having no job and being a teenager, my dad also doesnt care much for cats so he would get him whatever... although my mom has had many cats she also feeds them whatever... i have had animals all my life and i want to provide leo with a good life especially since he basically told me enough is enough! Thank you for reading and once again wet food recs and some weight help would be nice!!:happycat:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Leo looks like a slightly overly-well fed cat, not badly though. Many members have found that their cats would lose weight just by making the change to wet food, so you are definitely on the right track, not to worry! Can you help your kitty to be more active also? Chasing toys, a laser light, a Da Bird wand toy...

https://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/nestle_purina_cat_body_condition_chart_crop.jpg

Try Merrick Backcountry, Natural Balance, Tiki Cat, Fancy Feast, Tiny Tiger, Tractor Supplies' Paws and Claws or 4Health.

alexisparmley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Leo looks like a slightly overly-well fed cat, not badly though. Many members have found that their cats would lose weight just by making the change to wet food, so you are definitely on the right track, not to worry! Can you help your kitty to be more active also? Chasing toys, a laser light, a Da Bird wand toy...

https://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/nestle_purina_cat_body_condition_chart_crop.jpg

Try Merrick Backcountry, Natural Balance, Tiki Cat, Fancy Feast, Tiny Tiger, Tractor Supplies' Paws and Claws or 4Health.
I was looking into getting Leo some toys, i know hes fond of lasers i'm going to order one soon!!! i think he would also like the stick toys that have something hanging off it!!! i found out yesterday how much he weighs so i've been looking! Thank you for the food recommendations! i did my research online as well a couple days ago and did order him some Tiki cat off of chewy and went to the store today and got some fancy feast! i will look into the other brands you mentioned though!!! thank you! Is there any articles on how much i should portioning him for food? He lets me know when hes hungry which is about 4 times a day and i never leave wet food out for him and wipe the bowl and give him about a spoon full and maybe a little more when hes hungry but i am not sure if its the right amount to help him shed some pounds at his weight? Thank you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise