My Older Cats And An Approx. 8 Mo. Old Kitten Are Not Coexisting Well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Avoiding is different than hiding, though. Moving to other rooms signals annoyance rather than fear. And his biting is actually pretty normal for a kitten his age. Are the older cats trying to discipline him?

How much do you play with him on his own? He's a kitten with a fire under his butt, so if the other cats aren't willing to engage with him, you need to make sure that you're helping him burn off that energy.

I would bring the older, peeing cat in for a vet visit sooner rather than later. I know you're convinced it's "just" stress, but UTIs are painful and can cause long-term inappropriate peeing (among other complications) if not treated quickly. And as @rubysmama stated, stress itself can cause UTIs.
I know on the UTI. She went in the litter box she always uses after I kept him in a different area. I play with him. I did play with him more last night because I have been keeping him away from her as much as I can. He has a very dominant personality and he is trying to take over places she has favored for years. That won't work here because she is a skittish cat to begin with and she's older she deserves to have her special spot. Cats can be so difficult. Dogs are not like this thank God.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know on the UTI. She went in the litter box she always uses after I kept him in a different area. I play with him. I did play with him more last night because I have been keeping him away from her as much as I can. He has a very dominant personality and he is trying to take over places she has favored for years. That won't work here because she is a skittish cat to begin with and she's older she deserves to have her special spot. Cats can be so difficult. Dogs are not like this thank God.
Oh yes I think my other male cat is trying to discipline him. And another female cat I have. Sometimes it works,, sometimes it doesn't hahaha. He is a fireball that's for sure!

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long ago was he neutered? The hormones can take several weeks to be gone, so if it was recent, that may still be affecting his territorial behaviour.

Your female cat that started peeing on the stove is a definite concern. I've read that stress can cause a UTI, so a vet checkup is probably a good idea.

Have you tried Feliway? Or calming treats/collars? Some people find they help.
No no calming treats. She went in the litter box and she is fine I think. She just doesn't like him in all her places and those are the places he wants to go of course. I am keeping him separated a lot more than I was to try to keep the peace. I have been playing with him more one on one. I hope they can coexist.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dawn harvey dawn harvey
So much of what you say sounds familiar. I have often referred to Buddy (lovingly) as being a hoodlum and a juvenile delinquent! He would constantly chase and pounce on some of our older cats, especially when they were exiting the litterbox. Poor Jasmine got to the point where she would walk through the house in slow motion, always on the lookout for his next attack.
Buddy, like your boy, was jumping on her back and biting her neck seeming to mimic mating. I was so concerned that I began to wonder if the shelter had not actually neutered him. He had been neutered...he just can be a little terror to his elders at times.
Things have improved a LOT over the past two months. Buddy is about 11 months old now. He will still chase Jasmine or Spike on occasion, but not very often. He gets in trouble when I catch him doing it. He gets spoken to sternly and then gets ignored for a bit by me while I lavish attention on his "victim". He hates being ignored and the extra attention gives the other cat more confidence.
We also have lots of cat trees, perches, and hideyholes for the elders to escape to when Buddy gets to be too much for them to deal with. We also close the bedroom door and sleep with just Buddy most nights. It gives Buddy bonding time with us and gives the other cats a break from him.
Like I said earlier, there has been a vast improvement in the past two months. The other cats are more at ease. They walk around the house normally now. They aren't affraid of his ninja attacks. He is mellowing somewhat and finally learning social cues.
At the heart, Buddy is a happy, people-oriented kitty. His "attacks" were just hyper playfulness - never viscous. I hope your kitty calms down enough that the older ones can be more comfortable. I agree with all the others that a vet check of your oldest girl would be a good idea. Stress can lead to a UTI. Is she peeing on the stove because it is the only place she can without being attacked? Poor girl. Can you put your kitten in a separate room a few times a day so she can have some "safe" time away from him? I hope you find a solution soon.

Last edited:

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dawn harvey dawn harvey
So much of what you say sounds familiar. I have often referred to Buddy (lovingly) as being a hoodlum and a juvenile delinquent! He would constantly chase and pounce on some of our older cats, especially when they were exiting the litterbox. Poor Jasmine got to the point where she would walk through the house in slow motion, always on the lookout for his next attack.
Buddy, like your boy, was jumping on her back and biting her neck seeming to mimic mating. I was so concerned that I began to wonder if the shelter had not actually neutered him. He had been neutered...he just can be a little terror to his elders at times.
Things have improved a LOT over the past two months. Buddy is about 11 months old now. He will still chase Jasmine or Spike on occasion, but not very often. He gets in trouble when I catch him doing it. He gets spoken to sternly and then gets ignored for a bit by me while I lavish attention on his "victim". He hates being ignored and the extra attention gives the other cat more confidence.
We also have lots of cat trees, perches, and hideyholes for the elders to escape to when Buddy gets to be too much for them to deal with. We also close the bedroom door and sleep with just Buddy most nights. It gives Buddy bonding time with us and gives the other cats a break from him.
Like I said earlier, there has been a vast improvement in the past two months. The other cats are more at ease. They walk around the house normally now. They aren't affraid of his ninja attacks. He is mellowing somewhat and finally learning social cues.
At the heart, Buddy is a happy, people-oriented kitty. His "attacks" were just hyper playfulness - never viscous. I hope your kitty calms down enough that the older ones can be more comfortable. I agree with all the others that a vet check of your oldest girl would be a good idea. Stress can lead to a UTI. Is she peeing on the stove because it is the only place she can without being attacked? Poor girl. Can you put your kitten in a separate room a few times a day so she can have some "safe" time away from him? I hope you find a solution soon.
She has my room to go to. So yes she does have a safe place. I do need to get more perches for them. He is just being a kitten I know. My girl went in the litter box. I will get her checked out. I am going to call this afternoon and set up an appt. But I honestly feel she is just upset that he has put them all off balance. Your situation does sound a lot like mine. I hate to wish him to be older, but I honestly cannot wait until he settles down more. Thank you for sharing all that with me, it helps a great deal!