My Older Cats And An Approx. 8 Mo. Old Kitten Are Not Coexisting Well

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, brought in a kitten in mid October that wasn't doing well outside. We have a lot of feral cats around here and our town does nothing so I try to help them as much as I can. I lost an older cat in March to FIP so we decided to try to keep this kitten. Other cats range in age fro appox. 9-6 years old. All were rescued from this neighborhood. My oldest female cat started peeing on my stove, yes my stove just over this weekend. Not good! I have all the extra litter boxes, etc. that you are supposed to have. This kitten is very aggressive. He also wants to take over everything which I know cats are territorial. I am thinking of trying to re-home this kitten. Or if there are any ideas to help here? I do not want to have a situation where my oldest cat is not content or not thriving. I don't know what to do. I play with all of them and I try to give all of them an equal amount of attention. And he just really wants to play and one cat does play with him, but of course energy levels are vastly different with the older ages of my other cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old was the kitten when you brought him inside? Has he been neutered yet? And, yes, did you keep him separated and do a slow introduction when you first brought him inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you go through a proper introduction process? Even if you have, you may need to start from scratch.
Did you go through a proper introduction process? Even if you have, you may need to start from scratch.

I think so. I had him in the bathroom for quite awhile and didn't let him around the other cats for awhile. He was approx. 2 or 3 mos old when I brought him in, but he was not a normal size for that age, so I don't know for sure on the age. He wasn't getting enough food at all and was very thin and small. He is super territorial and especially about the litter boxes. I have the placed in different places and then a community area in a place by the back door. But he will run after the other cats when they try to use it. I don't know what to do. My oldest girl is not liking him at all and he is super aggressive to her.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old was the kitten when you brought him inside? Has he been neutered yet? And, yes, did you keep him separated and do a slow introduction when you first brought him inside?
I think 2 to 3 mos. old, not sure. I know who his Mom was, but for some reason she abandoned him and his sister early. She had them hidden up to a certain point and I didn't see them until they were on their own and trying to find food. The girl was doing well, he wasn't so I brought him in with the intention of finding him a home, but then we decided to keep him. Yes I got him neutered already. I did a pretty slow introduction over a month's time probably around that time span. My oldest girl is not liking him at all. Especially his aggression.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you do scent swapping, site swapping, feeding the cats on either side of a closed door and/or baby gate?

Here's an article that might help: How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
They knew he was there. He is vocal and they would play footsies under the door. They can smell them that way. He is a very dominant type personality and that I do not know what to do about. He will jump on her and also try to follow her to litter box.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say the kitten is aggressive, do you REALLY mean aggressive or is he trying to play? Our Buddy did some of the same things you describe (on occasion still does) but I would describe it as play. He would pounce but there was never growling or hissing coming from him. No fur flying or blood or injury of any kind. Is he actually trying to fight/hurt your other cats or is he just being rambunctious?
The fact that he is stressing out your older cat is an issue, but it is a bit easier to manage if the kitten's behavior is coming from hyperness and a lack of knowing his boundaries.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They knew he was there. He is vocal and they would play footsies under the door. They can smell them that way. He is a very dominant type personality and that I do not know what to do about. He will jump on her and also try to follow her to litter box.
Did you read the article? Scent swapping and site swapping aren't the same as smelling each other under the door.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you say the kitten is aggressive, do you REALLY mean aggressive or is he trying to play? Our Buddy did some of the same things you describe (on occasion still does) but I would describe it as play. He would pounce but there was never growling or hissing coming from him. No fur flying or blood or injury of any kind. Is he actually trying to fight/hurt your other cats or is he just being rambunctious?
The fact that he is stressing out your older cat is an issue, but it is a bit easier to manage if the kitten's behavior is coming from hyperness and a lack of knowing his boundaries.
I think he wants to play for the most part. I have another cat, male, that is 6 years old and he tussles with the kitten, but he doesn't have the same energy level as him either and after awhile he tries to avoid him. The kitten goes for the neck in almost all interactions. He isn't always biting, but it's almost like he may be trying to mimic mating??? Now with the oldest one, he just jumps at her, but the biggest issue with that situation is the litter box. He tries to go in each litter box where the community ones are. I change them almost daily too, I mean clean them out entirely. And it's like he wants his scent in all of them. I have 4 cats including the kitten. Do I have too many possibly?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's just super energetic, as most kittens are. Are the other cats hiding from him?

Your oldest cat and the peeing -- you might want to bring her in for a vet visit. It might be health-related and not emotional/behavioral. She is a senior kitty, after all, and UTIs, crystals, etc. can happen.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he's just super energetic, as most kittens are. Are the other cats hiding from him?

Your oldest cat and the peeing -- you might want to bring her in for a vet visit. It might be health-related and not emotional/behavioral. She is a senior kitty, after all, and UTIs, crystals, etc. can happen.
I will do that, but I do not believe that's the cause. I can tell by her behavior that she doesn't like how things have changed since he came here. He takes over everything. Her favorite spot for example. Everything has change (which I knew it would) and I thought she would adapt, but it's been 4 mos and this is getting tough to deal with. I have dogs too and lately most of my time is spent trying to keep him from doing certain things. He is super energetic, but luckily he does slow down at night. Thank God LOL!

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh I know that and I probably will take her in, but it's the kitten I know it is. Things have drastically changed for her since he came because of his very dominant personality and she is a loner type of cat anyway. She doesn't like him being here and I don't know if that is a situation that can be remedied.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will do that, but I do not believe that's the cause. I can tell by her behavior that she doesn't like how things have changed since he came here. He takes over everything. Her favorite spot for example. Everything has change (which I knew it would) and I thought she would adapt, but it's been 4 mos and this is getting tough to deal with. I have dogs too and lately most of my time is spent trying to keep him from doing certain things. He is super energetic, but luckily he does slow down at night. Thank God LOL!
Do check. And the kitten will calm down as he gets older; he's almost a year old now, and most cats chill out a bit by the time they're two years old (give or take -- every cat is different, after all).

Does the senior cat hide from the kitten? Do any of them?

Four months actually isn't long at all for cat introductions. It often takes a lot longer than that for cats to adjust to one another, especially older cats.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do check. And the kitten will calm down as he gets older; he's almost a year old now, and most cats chill out a bit by the time they're two years old (give or take -- every cat is different, after all).

Does the senior cat hide from the kitten? Do any of them?

Four months actually isn't long at all for cat introductions. It often takes a lot longer than that for cats to adjust to one another, especially older cats.
Yes they try to avoid him. My male cat will go into another room. So will the girls. I don't know. That is a long time for the ones that are not happy. I always do what's the best thing for the cats I already have. You have to be that way for their sakes.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes I got him neutered already.
How long ago was he neutered? The hormones can take several weeks to be gone, so if it was recent, that may still be affecting his territorial behaviour.

Your female cat that started peeing on the stove is a definite concern. I've read that stress can cause a UTI, so a vet checkup is probably a good idea.

Have you tried Feliway? Or calming treats/collars? Some people find they help.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes he is, but he is also very aggressive and wants to be the dominant cat. Yes if this continues I will.

dawn harvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long ago was he neutered? The hormones can take several weeks to be gone, so if it was recent, that may still be affecting his territorial behaviour.

Your female cat that started peeing on the stove is a definite concern. I've read that stress can cause a UTI, so a vet checkup is probably a good idea.

Have you tried Feliway? Or calming treats/collars? Some people find they help.
No I never have, but good idea. Thank you. He was neutered about a month ago. I am worried about my oldest cat too. She tries to do everything she can to avoid him and he is aggressive in that way.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes they try to avoid him. My male cat will go into another room. So will the girls. I don't know. That is a long time for the ones that are not happy. I always do what's the best thing for the cats I already have. You have to be that way for their sakes.
Avoiding is different than hiding, though. Moving to other rooms signals annoyance rather than fear. And his biting is actually pretty normal for a kitten his age. Are the older cats trying to discipline him?

How much do you play with him on his own? He's a kitten with a fire under his butt, so if the other cats aren't willing to engage with him, you need to make sure that you're helping him burn off that energy.

I would bring the older, peeing cat in for a vet visit sooner rather than later. I know you're convinced it's "just" stress, but UTIs are painful and can cause long-term inappropriate peeing (among other complications) if not treated quickly. And as rubysmama rubysmama stated, stress itself can cause UTIs.