my newly adopted 1 year old male cat keeps humping!

kittykin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw there was an older thread about humping cats on here, but I didn't want to add to it as I also feel it's a different issue!

I just adopted this cat named Tyrion a week ago , he's 1 y/o and was neutered about a month ago. We also got another cat named Prince who was neutered prior to the rescue I got them from and he's 5. The last couple days I have noticed Tyrion being more strange. He's meowing/ howling throughout the day and night, especially at night he sounds like he's calling to someone, but it's not me or my boyfriend because when we try to comfort him he just walks away and keeps howling. Yesterday morning I had noticed a stack of towels in my bathroom all strewn out and thought it was weird. Well last night both the cats were upstairs with us, I couldn't sleep cuz they tend to hop on us and be obnoxious a lot, and I watched Tyrion hop up on our bed around 4 am and start humping my boyfriend's leg while he was sleeping! He was also jumping to our window and howling. We tend to sleep with the tv on at night for white noise, but I turned it off thinking I could hear another cat meowing. I was right! There's a stray cat we've seen around quite a bit and it was faint but I could hear it meowing outside our house. I realized in that moment that Tyrion was going crazy (running throughout the house back and forth, coming back to hump our legs again...for hours!) possibly due to this cat outside that I'm pretty sure is a stray that my next door neighbor feeds. 

So the other troubling thing about this is like I said I just adopted them a week ago. I paid 60 dollars to adopt Tyrion, and they swore up and down he's neutered and has had all his shots and is in perfect health and all the shots and procedures they did is part of the payment to adopt. The first day I brought both cats home they both had worms and nobody at the shelter told me, I was furious but took them to the vet to get pills for it. So I'm wondering if they messed up his paperwork, or maybe forged the paperwork about Tyrion being neutered. Does that ever happen? When he was humping me this morning there was no wetness, but I could see his.....red rocket...and it DID look barbed. He also does have balls in the back when I pet him and I felt them I couldn't tell if they were hard or not. 

I've been up most of the night looking up forums and trying to figure this out. I'm taking him to the vet to see if he is indeed neutered, but I'm concerned about this humping behavior which is coupled with aggression. Both the cats took very little time to get used to the house and each other, but Tyrion is stalking and "attacking the other cat and just seems very frustrated. In the other thread it seemed a popular conclusion that male neutered cats do this stuff for attention, but I gave him attention and he didn't want me to pet him, he just wanted to hump and call out to the other cat and was being quite aggressive about it! Whether or not he's already neutered, is there anything I can do to stop this behavior? And should I be putting him in a room with his own catbox for now just to hopefully confine his craziness to one room or is that an inhumane thing to do? I want to be good to them, but I'm losing so much sleep!!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and have Tyrion checked by the vet. If he really has been neutered, remember that it can take a month for the hormones to disappear from his system. It could be a few more weeks. On the other hand, if the castration operation was sloppy, even a small amount of the testicle left in can secrete hormones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response! He is scheduled to get checked by the vet on the 25th so I will definitely find out, but it is helpful to know that it can take time for him to calm down!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can definitely take time to calm down. This could also be part of adjusting to the house. Neutered males still have little poofs where their testicles were, too.

Thanks so much for adopting! Let us know what the vet says!