My new 8-month-old kitten is playbiting

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a shelter cat who I named Uffda. She is currently doing zoomies round the house, she is doing well, a real lovebug. However she is play-biting some and I would prefer her to lose the habit. What is best? I was putting her off my lap right away, then I was firmly saying "No!" but she is a little scared by that, so I stopped it. I want to be gentle and loving to her. What should I do? Thanks all!
EDIT I should add, it is mostly when I'm petting her and I'm learning to be aware. The play-biting is still happening, she doesn't seem to be angry or scared, just playful.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When she starts to play bite you could try to redirect her with a feather on a stick toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When she starts to play bite you could try to redirect her with a feather on a stick toy.
That's a good idea. I have one of those, she's not really interested, but she does have a catnip mouse she likes, and I was going to get her a couple more. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dwdanby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she bites give her a hiss. It’s a universal cat language that says “stop that!”.
Wow, what an awesome idea. I never would have thought of that. I'll try it! Thanks so much!