My New 2 Month Old Kitten... Help!

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted earlier about Meatball having diarrhea this morning, but he just vomited right now... I bought him no-grain kitten chow since I believe the Purina kitten chow is the culprit of his diarrhea. I don't know what to do...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he seen a vet for a check up?
No, he has not. I talked to the pervious owner and she said that he just has a sensitive stomach from the food being switched and it is normal. He used to eat Iams Sensitive Stomach and I switched it to Purina Kitten chow, but I think that made his stomach worse, so I bought Blue Buffalo Wilderness kitten chow for him today. I made homemade pedialyte and he drank it recently.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  1. I understand that Meatball is two months old. How long have you had Meatball?
  2. Are you aware that many vets will give you a discount for the first visit of a newly adopted kitten/cat? I strongly recommend taking advantage of this, even when the kitten is showing no signs of any trouble. It gives a baseline for any future problems that may show up (and problems always show up eventually -- they're just a fact of life).
Margret

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  1. I understand that Meatball is two months old. How long have you had Meatball?
  2. Are you aware that many vets will give you a discount for the first visit of a newly adopted kitten/cat? I strongly recommend taking advantage of this, even when the kitten is showing no signs of any trouble. It gives a baseline for any future problems that may show up (and problems always show up eventually -- they're just a fact of life).
Margret
I have had him since Monday. He has been to the vet recently from the papers that the previous owner gave me, but I will take him in tomorrow morning.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither. You purchase what he's used to and the no-grain food (which you've already done) and switch him over slowly.

Now, it may, in fact, turn out that he needs a food labeled "Sensitive Stomach," in which case you won't be able to switch him over, at least not to this grain-free food, but you don't really have a proper diagnosis yet and your instinct to put a kitten on kitten food, and your desire to make it grain-free are both absolutely correct, at least as a starting point.

Margret

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Neither. You purchase what he's used to and the no-grain food (which you've already done) and switch him over slowly.

Now, it may, in fact, turn out that he needs a food labeled "Sensitive Stomach," in which case you won't be able to switch him over, at least not to this grain-free food, but you don't really have a proper diagnosis yet and your instinct to put a kitten on kitten food, and your desire to make it grain-free are both absolutely correct, at least as a starting point.

Margret
Okay, I will buy his regular food tomorrow. Thank you for the advice. It really helps a lot!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Go back on original food. Then you gradually change food. There's specific instructions in the link on how to mix in a little new food.

And just a another note of warning on changing food. If you have more than one cat you need to try and keep an eye on both making sure they eat it. I assumed since the food was gone Both cats were eating the new food. Only one was eating enough food for both of them. The second cat hated it and refused to eat it.

Tabithan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted earlier about Meatball having diarrhea this morning, but he just vomited right now... I bought him no-grain kitten chow since I believe the Purina kitten chow is the culprit of his diarrhea. I don't know what to do...
Hello- I've had cats for over 30 years. I have always given them top quality food available only from the vet. We started with Medi-cal and now use Hill's Prescription Diet. This line is tailor made for cats of all ages and conditions- you can buy the best type of Hills for your cat's age and condition. Suggest you consult with your vet and choose the right food for her. Even if her vomiting is unrelated to the food, good quality food will provide her with a long and happy life.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not going to start a cat food debate about brands and such. The basic rule of slowly switch food. General rules? Wet is better than kibble. Some of us go raw or home cooked (you must go full wet and do research before even considering this, no it's not for everyone). Carbs and grains are bad. But all food depends on where you live and availability, different countries have different things.

Cattycatty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: he had diarrhea and vomited this morning, so I made the pedialyte for him and gave him a teaspoon of canned pumpkin, which he loved. His previous owner said to just give him fluids for 24 hours, but I think that’s too long. Should I feed him wet food mixed with the pumpkin?