My neighbor's cat won't stop attacking cats and people

Viktoria_1871

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening. I have lived in the same apartment complex for 3 years now, and 2 years ago a male kitten showed up and my neighbors took him in and neutered him. At first he was kind of moody, but still friendly, now his behaviour is just odd. I know these neighbors, they're a kind old couple and they loved their cat, so abuse would not be the cause of his behaviour. Ozzy the cat sits on the stairs or behind the door and attacks people that cross his path. The strangest thing about him is that he can behave like he is friendly, he will rub up against people or roll onto his back, then he will hiss and attack with no warning. His body language will be completely calm then he will just hiss. He also comes to my door, because my mom used to feed him, but then he attacks my family members when they come outside, even if they give him treats. He was like this for about a year and a half and it's only gotten worse, sometimes he doesn't even let people come near him before he attacks. We thought he just attacked our family because he can smell our own cats, but he also attacks other neighbors and visitors who are cat-free. My cat checks the hallway for him every evening before I let my cat outside. Also, a month ago, his owners went to an old folks home and they couldn't take him, now he roams the parking lot and the stairwell. I've had cats all my 18 years, but I've never seen a cat behave quite this way.

Also here's a picture of him. He's actually a really cute cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Viktoria_1871

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Who is caring for him eg feeding him? It must be so unsettling for him.
Thanks for your reply. One of the neighbors on the first floor leaves a bowl of food out for the neighborhood cats so thats how he gets his food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has essentially been abandoned, and he knows it. He is afraid and scared and lashes out as his only defense. He doesn't understand why his world has changed so much. He loves to get attention, but realizes it is not going to change his situation, so he goes back into scared mode and reacts as would be expected in his sad situation. It is only getting worse, because that is how he feels about his life.

Try to locate some rescue centers/shelters that might be able to take him in, work to re-habilitate him, and re-home him. He is going to be miserable until something positive changes for him. Poor kitty. Please do what you can to help him. He is all on his own, and IMO, he hates it.

Last edited:

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has essentially been abandoned, and he knows it. He is afraid and scared and lashes out as his only defense. He doesn't understand why his world has changed so much. He loves to get attention, but realizes it is not going to change his situation, so he goes back into scared mode and reacts as would be expected in his sad situation. It is only getting worse, because that is how he feels about his life.

Try to locate some rescue centers/shelters that might be able to take him in, work to re-habilitate him, and re-home him. He is going to be miserable until something positive changes for him. Poor kitty. Please do what you can to help him. He is all on his own, and IMO, he hates it.

I agree totally with all that you say. This was what was in my mind when I posted,, Yes he needs rehoming asap Please… a bowl of food left out for all takers is not enough.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, I take that to mean you will be checking with local rescues/shelters to see if you can get him some help? You might also reach out through NextDoor Neighbor if you have it, asking for help from any cat lovers that might be in your neighborhood.

Viktoria_1871

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both. We don't live in a very populated area, our town's spca closed to due to covid and the nearest other one is in the city 2 hours away. We were just hoping one of the neighbors would take him in or take him to the shelter in the city. I'm starting university in the city in January and if he's still homeless by then I'll take him with me and bring him to the shelter. I'll see if there's any rescue groups in my area though, winter gets pretty cold around here and I don't want him to have to wait until January. I'll give him some treats next time I see him around the building.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it sounds more like a status aggression, check jackson galaxy 8 types of aggression, i doubt he is wallowing at being abandoned, if he was frustrated due to a lack of food, he might exhibit this behavior, or in pain, or having a territorial dispute.
But from the pic he looks a good size and weight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i doubt he is wallowing at being abandoned,
If this cat was once taken care of and had humans as companions/caretakers, and no longer does, I do think it can affect him in ways such as what is being described. Cats who have lost their long time companions, be that human and/or another cat - do not all respond the same way. No one has stepped in to try to replace his loss. The fact that he is getting worse simply means he feels he has to rely more on his instincts - which would include fear (that can lead to a possible fight response) - and less on those who once took care of him. The fact that his owners recently went into care facility likely means he was receiving less and less care long before they got to this point.

Whatever you want to label it as, status aggression/wallowing/etc. - his life has changed and he is not happy with those changes. Just because he is somehow getting food doesn't mean he isn't suffering in one or more other ways. He once had, and now again needs, more.

Viktoria_1871 Viktoria_1871 - you mentioned his owners were placed into a 'old folks home' - any chance of contacting the facility, telling them of this cat, and see if the owners have family/friends that might want to help?

Last edited:

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If this cat was once taken care of and had humans as companions/caretakers, and no longer does, I do think it can affect him in ways such as what is being described. Cats who have lost their long time companions, be that human and/or another cat - do not all respond the same way. No one has stepped in to try to replace his loss. The fact that he is getting worse simply means he feels he has to rely more on his instincts - which would include fear (that can lead to a possible fight response) - and less on those who once took care of him. The fact that his owners recently went into care facility likely means he was receiving less and less care long before they got to this point.

Whatever you want to label it as, status aggression/wallowing/etc. - his life has changed and he is not happy with those changes. Just because he is somehow getting food doesn't mean he isn't suffering in one or more other ways. He once had, and now again needs, more.

Viktoria_1871 Viktoria_1871 - you mentioned his owners were placed into a 'old folks home' - any chance of contacting the facility, telling them of this cat, and see if the owners have family/friends that might want to help?
The poster's opening gambit - i have lived in an apartment for three years
The cat showed up 2 years ago, from where?

Was a kitten, couple neutered the cat and brought inside.
Obviously a indoor / outdoor cat - as behavior has been going on for 18 months
The cat attacks all, from the post, primarily humans, no mention if the cat attacks other cats.
The couple went to a old folks home only last month, so the changes to his life has only started recently, why has he being like this for 18 months?

When i mentioned food, in the wild a cats main stressors is food at the top, predators and shelter from the elements.
Wallowing is not a label, it's the term i have used to convey cats don't sit around and say why me, upset and angry, yes, but with time in most cases it passes.

To summarize the poster:
Friendly, hiss and attack with no warning, stalking, attacking those who enter his territory - sounds like status aggression, look it up and you will see why i came to that conclusion.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The couple went to a old folks home only last month, so the changes to his life has only started recently, why has he being like this for 18 months?
I guess the key you missed in this is how has this cat's life has changed in the months leading up to his owners going into a home. They likely became less able to care for him; their care of him slowly degraded over time due to their health. These folks were not totally healthy one day, and the 'boom' the next day had to be moved to a home. Think about it.

I am sorry that you think cats have no feelings for anything other than food.

Viktoria_1871

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sorry for not replying sooner, I've been busy with college. Ozzy attacks both cats and people, he's left quite a number of wounds on my own cat. His behaviour started long before his owners left, I don't know how their health was before they left. I'm sure being abandoned affects him a lot though. I'll look up what status aggression is, I've never heard of it. Thank you all for your help :)