My male cat is terrified of the new 50 inch TV

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone encountered this? He hides under bed if it is turned on. The first time it was turned on he vomited and stopped eating. Now he just hides, Wierd

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
bonepicker,

Someone posted the same problem as you some time back :lol3:

It is the loud sound he's afraid of. Carry him and bring him near the tv when it's off and let smell and get use to it. After awhile, turn on the tv without turning on the volumn and let him get use to the pictures. Then slowly turn up the volumn bit by bit and let him get use to the sound that is coming out of th tv and keep telling him it's ok, it's just the sound from the tv. This way, he'll get use to it.

I did the same with my boy when I bought a new vacuum cleaner. I placed the vacuum cleaner at different part of the house where he like to go and let him get use to it. He'll go and check it out and smell it. Then after some time, I turn it on and keep telling him it's ok. Now he's used to it whenever I use it and he never hide anymore.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has anyone encountered this? He hides under bed if it is turned on. The first time it was turned on he vomited and stopped eating. Now he just hides, Wierd
You might also set the brightness to very dim, and slowly increase it over time, and/or go to a pet store and get one of those bird dvds and see if the birds interest him enough to get over his fear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
He is afraid with no sound at all on, he has become a recluse because my elderly father has it on a lot! The picture scares him! He is ok with a blank screen!

Last edited:

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
perhaps the TV has a smell that scares him - if so, it will fade with time.  or perhaps he just needs time to realize it won't attack.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is afraid with no sound at all on, he has become a recluse because my elderly father has it on a lot! The picture scares him! He is ok with a blank screen!
So you have to get him get use to it. Try again at low or no volumn.
If done often with low or no volumn, he'll get use to it and will not hide or else it's gonna be the other way round.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you Zed Xyzed for your purraise! :D

My boy is very weary of sounds too. So this is how I get him to get use to things in the house.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor kitty! I guess you are going to have to take the TV back.

:D

Just kidding!

Cats weren't kidding when the said they don't like change. Like the others have said. He will adjust in time once he gets used to it.

jules10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your cat on any of these topical or oral flea products?  It sounds awfully familiar to me ... 

Please advise.  Thank you. 

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just last week I had my car towed for service and got a loaner.  Ned noticed it was a different car!  He normally likes to go out in my garage and just by nosy, but the night I had that loaner he would not!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Murphy is scared to death of french fries.  I have no clue how to stop that.  He hides until the evil fries are all gone.