My Little Feral

watsekalady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i found Madison about 1 yr ago
I kept her in my bathroom to be sure she was ok health wise
When I would talk to her she constantly would watch my hands I finally was able to lightly touch her
Now I can pet her on her terms BUT SHE bites lightly and there are times when she doesn't want to be touched at all!!
Then there are times when she rolls over and I can pet her head but I don't dare touch her belly or hind quarters
I'm still working with her she is a sweet heart ❤ and yes she is spayed and has her shots lol
She loves to play but again she won't let me pet her will she ever let me?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she sleep in the room with you? My feral is the most cuddly at night. Apparently I'm much more attractive to her with the lights out. :tongue:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

watsekalady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she sleep in the room with you? My feral is the most cuddly at night. Apparently I'm much more attractive to her with the lights out. :tongue:
Yes she does but sometimes in the bed with me but most times on her blankie in the chair
It's like she wants to be petted and lived but she still is untrustworthy
I've had her almost a year now
She turned up on my doorstep it took me a few days to finally trap her I didn't want her roaming and getting hurt
I really think she had to be abused that's why she is very skeptical of hands

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was she a kitten or an adult when you brought her in? Sometimes the older they are, the harder it is for them to trust and bond. Not impossible though....she may just take longer.

watsekalady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was she a kitten or an adult when you brought her in? Sometimes the older they are, the harder it is for them to trust and bond. Not impossible though....she may just take longer.
She was about 12 weeks according to the vet I think someone may have dropped her off I looked for others there were none
Here is a pic of Madison
IMG_0061.JPG

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, she's very cute. Pretty little face of an angel. Wonder what could have happened to her those first early months. I adopted a shy little kitten in 1987. She lived 16.5 years and ran to hide every time I stood up to move from one room to another. She also hissed at me every time I picked her up (no biting or struggling to get down though). As long as I was sitting, she was right near me. When I stretched out on the sofa or at night in bed, she was right on top of me (literally) wanting to be rubbed and petted.

Every single kitty is so unique.

watsekalady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 others about 10 yrs old that were found wandering in a forest preserve
They are as friendly as can be that why I think someone hurt her or she was scared enough by something not to trust hands
It's like she's saying she wants to trust me but still after a year she's still scared

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello watsekalady, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Some cats like to be petted and some don't. And what more, Madison is a feral before and who knows what happened to her before you rescued her.

Yes, you may be right, she could have some unpleasant encounters with humans and therefore she dislike being petted.

But her rolling over shows that she has confidence in you. A cat will never turn belly up if they do not trust you. Try approaching her slowly when you want to pet her and pet short strokes. Watch for those part of the body that she does not want or like to be touch and you avoid those areas.
Can she be carried? If yes, carry her for a short while and talk to her and once she struggles to be free, let her down gently and repeat later. Also keep talking to her each time as you try to pet her.

Madison's doing great as she does sleep on your bed. It's ok if she sleeps on her blanket in the chair. At least she is in the same room with you. Some cats don't like to be petted but you just continue with your love for her, have patience and keep the routine.

She is very pretty!

watsekalady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello watsekalady, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Some cats like to be petted and some don't. And what more, Madison is a feral before and who knows what happened to her before you rescued her.

Yes, you may be right, she could have some unpleasant encounters with humans and therefore she dislike being petted.

But her rolling over shows that she has confidence in you. A cat will never turn belly up if they do not trust you. Try approaching her slowly when you want to pet her and pet short strokes. Watch for those part of the body that she does not want or like to be touch and you avoid those areas.
Can she be carried? If yes, carry her for a short while and talk to her and once she struggles to be free, let her down gently and repeat later. Also keep talking to her each time as you try to pet her.

Madison's doing great as she does sleep on your bed. It's ok if she sleeps on her blanket in the chair. At least she is in the same room with you. Some cats don't like to be petted but you just continue with your love for her, have patience and keep the routine.

She is very pretty!
Thank you for you encouragement I wish I could pick her up but for now it's a no go
I figure I got this far and I'm Sure that in time she will get better

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for you encouragement I wish I could pick her up but for now it's a no go
I figure I got this far and I'm Sure that in time she will get better
You are welcomed :wink:

Certain things takes time, so be patience but most of all, give her all your love even if she dosen't want to be petted :wink: