My Kitty's Nails Are Broken???

Jmonty1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Iv had my cat for about 11 months now (since he was a baby) and I cut his claws about a week or two ago for the first time, I used a normal human nail clippers and I made sure not to go near the quick and only cut the sharp bit at the top? I only cut his front two paws because I didn't think the back needed to be done. He had absolutely no problem letting me do it and he didn't seem to be in any pain and wasn't bleeding I thought I had done everything perfect. I just checked his claws to see if he needed another trim and they're broken? His claws look like they're shredding and they're split and broken? I'm thinking maybe it's from a fight because they're was white fur stuck in one claw and my cats brown and grey so it's definitely not his and I only have one cat. It's just a few of the claws at the front it's almost like they're peeling away?is it hurting him? Is this normal? Do I bring him to the vet? Please help I don't want him to be in pain! He doesn't seem to be and he ain't limping or anything but but his claws don't look okay

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Jmonty1 Jmonty1 , welcome to TCS :wave3:

According to what you mentioned, you are doing just right on how to clip the claws of your kitty.

What you see could be the claw sheaths. It's just the outside layer of his claw that has grown beyond the blood supply and falls off as he uses the scratching post. It's is just like a replacement and underneath it is a new talon.

Yes, fur or thread sometimes get stuck in between. There's no need to worry about it as it is being shed regularly.

Unless you are saying something more drastic than that and you have to show us a picture of it.

Feel free to ask questions and we do have a lot of good stuffs here. So spend some time reading the Articles and browse through the forum pages.

Also, do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in 'New Cats on the Block' under the Social Forums and do post photos of your kitty :wink:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read differing opinions but a lot of folks claim that trimming nails with a nail clipper designed for humans will cause a cat's nail to split. Perhaps you could invest in a pair of clippers designed for felines? I have some and they were relatively inexpensive.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've read differing opinions but a lot of folks claim that trimming nails with a nail clipper designed for humans will cause a cat's nail to split. Perhaps you could invest in a pair of clippers designed for felines? I have some and they were relatively inexpensive.
I do clip my boy's claw with a hooman nail clipper :p or a pet clipper

His nails never split. I make sure it's a high quality nail clipper and make sure it is very sharp and clip fast:wink:

Last edited:

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl kitties nails are smaller, but my male kitty has larger nails. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to cut his nails with human clippers, but my girl kitty wouldn't be a big deal. I would be concerned for my male that it would cause crushing of the nail, especially if the nail clippers are not sharp. I have seen the outside of the nail sometimes 'shedding', but that's normal.

Also, does your kitty have a place to scratch? That will help get rid of the part of the nail that sheds.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My girl kitties nails are smaller, but my male kitty has larger nails. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to cut his nails with human clippers, but my girl kitty wouldn't be a big deal. I would be concerned for my male that it would cause crushing of the nail, especially if the nail clippers are not sharp. I have seen the outside of the nail sometimes 'shedding', but that's normal.
If it's a good quality sharp hooman clipper, it's no difference from a pet nail clipper :wink:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
The old sheath becomes more visable when you clip the tips of the nail as it seems to splinter. It's natural for the cat to shed these though and not harmful. I prefer the guillotine type nail clippers. Cheap ones need to be replaced every 6 months to 1 year or whenever you see them leaving a more ragged edge.

pumpkins

pumpkins
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with kittens mom.. i prefer the guillotine style pet nail clippers especially for my male with larger claws. JMonty, I am so glad you are paying attention to your kitty and taking good care of him.