My Kitty Loves His Meds.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I brought Tiger to the vet to get neutered last week, he had a bit of cat flu flare up too. I also mentioned to the Vet that I thought his breathing was a bit off but nobody believed me. I swear he had sort of loud breathing for a cat since for the last couple of months. Everyone said I was worrying over nothing!

The vet couldnt hear anything so to put my mind at ease, she did a chest Xray. Well, he's got one of three things: severe infestation of lungworm, allergies & asthma, or bronchitis & pneumonia. We are treating for all three - and repeat xray next week. Trust you gut instincts!

Why I'm here, Tiger is taking Lysine, steroids, and and antibiotic. Doe anyone elses kitty love their meds? I've been so used to crushing up into food or the like for every single pet I have, but Tiger will walk up and eat it out of my hand. We've also had to hide the tablets as he got very enthusiastic about taking the packet from us for more!

What is that???

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sweet Lola, the cat in my avatar, would love a few of her meds. Above all, she loved Fortekor, that I would give her for her CKD. It was half a pill a day, but she would have liked more pills a day :lol:

Anyway, I never had to fight with her for pilling her, she would take any med out of my hand.
She was so lovely :bawling:

Consider yourself lucky, despite the name of your cat, think of those thouands of cat owners that get scratched or bitten during a medication.
Also, this means that the pharma industry has finally understood that meds for cats have to be tasty ;)

OT: I do love Ireland! :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are just weird :lol:

Most cats won't take medicine :headshake: One has to use Pill Pockets/ pill dough, compound the medicine into another form (flavored liquid, transdermal gel, etc), and other methods to get the medicine into a cat. Injections such as insulin aren't usually bad but some cats don't even like that.

My cats will take any pill as long as it's coated in bacon flavored pill dough. Liquids aren't usually too bad unless it's gross tasting like Flagyl. Supplements mixed into food aren't noticed at all.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The vet couldn't hear anything so to put my mind at ease, she did a chest Xray. Well, he's got one of three things: severe infestation of lungworm, allergies & asthma, or bronchitis & pneumonia. We are treating for all three - and repeat xray next week. Trust you gut instincts!
You're so right about trusting your gut instincts. :thumbsup: You know your cat best, good for you to speak up and persevere. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way for Tiger. :vibes::vibes:Please keep us posted on his progress.

Regarding meds, I've never had a cat that liked his or her medicine and gave up giving pills a long time ago. I always ask for liquid meds. It's just easier for me to administer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sweet Lola, the cat in my avatar, would love a few of her meds. Above all, she loved Fortekor, that I would give her for her CKD. It was half a pill a day, but she would have liked more pills a day :lol:

Anyway, I never had to fight with her for pilling her, she would take any med out of my hand.
She was so lovely :bawling:

Consider yourself lucky, despite the name of your cat, think of those thouands of cat owners that get scratched or bitten during a medication.
Also, this means that the pharma industry has finally understood that meds for cats have to be tasty ;)

OT: I do love Ireland! :)
Lo amo l'Italia!

He's a great cat... so chilled out. He's only 6 months so has moments of kitten insanity. All of my previous cats had been feral so it was such a dream to have an affectionate cat! Your Lola looks lovely! :-)

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're so right about trusting your gut instincts. :thumbsup: You know your cat best, good for you to speak up and persevere. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way for Tiger. :vibes::vibes:Please keep us posted on his progress.

Regarding meds, I've never had a cat that liked his or her medicine and gave up giving pills a long time ago. I always ask for liquid meds. It's just easier for me to administer.
I'm so glad I did ignore everyone else. The vet was so surprised when she looked at the xray! She said: the black areas on a chest xray show the lungs as they are full of air. There was no black area at all - his lungs were all hazy looking!

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep he is a weirdo!

The liquid Lysine doesn't bother him but then again he is eating the tablets from my hand so I assume he would eat the lysine no problem.

The other day I caught him trying to get into my supplements and he ate a fish oil and one psyllium husk capsule. He is such a strange cat!

Some cats are just weird :lol:

Most cats won't take medicine :headshake: One has to use Pill Pockets/ pill dough, compound the medicine into another form (flavored liquid, transdermal gel, etc), and other methods to get the medicine into a cat. Injections such as insulin aren't usually bad but some cats don't even like that.

My cats will take any pill as long as it's coated in bacon flavored pill dough. Liquids aren't usually too bad unless it's gross tasting like Flagyl. Supplements mixed into food aren't noticed at all.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lo amo l'Italia!

He's a great cat... so chilled out. He's only 6 months so has moments of kitten insanity. All of my previous cats had been feral so it was such a dream to have an affectionate cat! Your Lola looks lovely! :-)
Lola was lovely indeed!
She was the best thing I had in my life, I will never have such a wonderful experience again.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Speedy also loves to take medicine - or rather, she loves the treats that accompany the meds. She wakes me up in the morning crying for her AM dose and reminds if I am late for the PM dose. And after three years, I finally have her eating plavix in a pill pocket right out of my hand.