My Kitty Doesn't Drink Enough Water.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
There are several ways to improve your cat's hydration.

As mentioned changing part of your cat's diet to a good quality wet food will help. I did that when my cat started drinking less due to some medication, and it helped. The down side is that some cats don't like wet food, and it can be pretty expensive if your'e on a tight budget.

Cat fountains can be a good option... The pioneer pet line are stainless steel or ceramic ( don't use a plastic fountain, because it has bacterial issues), and popular ( my cat likes hers, certainly.) A couple of suggestions with cat fountains... use filtred water in them ( cats often hate chlorine...), and if you put them on an inexpensive dish drying mat, it'll dampen the vibrations *AND* catch minor drips of water.

Several companies make a "cat gravy", which amounts to fish and or chicken broth with a tiny bit of fish meat in them. You can also give your cat a treat of chicken stock ( made yourself so you can be sure that it doesn't have anything added besides rendered chicken and water. ) The product ( or home made version) are treats and shouldn't be the bulk of your cat's diet (10% of calories is the generally accepted cap), but a little to improve hydration from time to time, makes a good replacement for the usual cat treats.

A teaspoon of pumpkin adds hydration and a bit of fiber ( the latter can also help your cat's stool in some cases)

Ice cubes... Seriously, lots of cats enjoy licking them...

Many cats enjoy "tuna juice" which is just the juice in a can of tuna, so if you make a tuna sandwich, the strained water is often very desirable to cats. Don't give your cat a lot of actual tuna, though. it isn't nutritionally complete, and given too often, it may spoil your cat...

you may also have luck by making an ice water glass for yourself and letign your cat drink from it... Lots of cats love to steal our food and drinks, so... :biggrin:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shower or the bath is a good place to give your cat ice cubes. Actually, anywhere you don't mind puddles. But they do love to scoot the cubes.