My Kitty Doesn't Drink Enough Water.

humr65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her drinking water is a bowl in the shower. I change the water daily. She is on Purina One. I noticed her stool is hard and she is uncomfortable. Any suggestions? for a different food. Also I know cats like to drink running water. I was thinking of buying one of the cheaper cat fountains. Thanks.

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there. Is your kitty eating wet or dry Purina ONE? That could make a difference for her. Cats in general have low thirst drives, especially as kittens, and get most of their hydration from their prey in the wild. Wet food has about 75% moisture on average, which is about the same as most prey animals.

You also mention her water bowl is in the shower -- is there a reason for this? Maybe try moving it to a different area if you never notice her drinking out of it? It could be that she is afraid/uncomfortable with where it's located.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't instinctively get their water from sitting at a bowl of it and drinking. In the wild it comes from their food. This is where you come in and feed the best food you can so they get all the water they need. This is easily done with canned/wet food. Dry has too little moisture, is full of carbs and starches and junk. Even grain free is a scam because they just replace carby grains with carby potatoes and peas and guess what? Carbs are the problem!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could try a few water dishes in multiple places - but, I will tell you that hasn't ever worked with Feeby. She will forgo all indoor water dishes to get to the one on the screened in patio. Except, apparently, when she is REALLY thirsty and no one is up at night to let her out on the patio. I have had her wait about 3 feet from the nearest inside water dish to get to the one on the patio in the morning.

If you are not doing canned Purina along with the dry, add it. It doesn't have to be at the same time as the dry, but just throw in a meal a day that is wet based. If she doesn't go for it, put a little wet in with the dry, and see what she does. Have you ever tried mixing the dry with some water? If not, give that a shot as well.

I have never used a fountain, but have heard many say that it does intrigue a cat to drink more.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are just feeding dry food I would try adding some wet food to her diet, or switch to wet food if you can. Cats don't normally drink a lot of water which is one reason wet food is better then dry.

Cat fountains are another good way to go, make sure it's in a place that she wants to drink though, and not next to her food. Most cats instinctively will choose flowing water over standing water and water away from their food since food can contaminate the water. Keep in mind with the fountains though that you get what you pay for. A more expensive one, or version, is generally going to be made with better material (steel or ceramic, not plastic).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

humr65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The cats I've had in the past have loved drinking out of a water dish near their food or out of a dish in the shower with dripping water. My current kitty is a rescue a little over a year old. We have both been stressed lately with moving into a smaller location and getting used to the change. I am currently feeding her Purina One dry. I didn't think of Purina one (wet) though today I thought I would try her on adding liquid to her dry food. I had a few cans of Frisky meaty bits and gave her a can of that tonight. She is eating too much (getting a paunch) and eats too many treats. My fault. What amount should I feed her? The vet suggested 2/3 cup of dry per day (I break it into 1/3 morning and 1/3 evening). I am going to cut back on treats also. She is an indoor kitty....I have a few toys....if I can get the food situation straightened out I think her weight will as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Go with the vet's suggestion on food amount. Any serious cutting back too soon could result in trouble on a whole lot of levels. I feed 'fatty' Feeby (almost 18lbs, 14+ yo) 1/2 cup of dry - split in to two meals a day, but have reduced the amount since I have begun feeding her 1/3 of a can of canned per day. She's not losing weight... But, then my husband cheats...

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Switching to wet food (canned not wet dry food) could also help with weight. Most canned food has more protein and less carbs and calories then dry, so they get more good stuff and less filler. How much to feed depends on, age, energy level, how much you play with her, if she is spayed or not, ideal weight, and how many calories the food you are feeding has.

It would be better for figure out how many calories she needs, then based on that, looking at the food label to help tell you how much you need to feed. For example (since I don't know which you are feeding), the Purina One Indoor Advantage has 398 kcal per cup (265 for 2/3 cup) but the Purina One wet foods all have less then 100 kcal per 3oz can.

humr65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Harper Gray and Orange Tabby mix. She is a sweetie.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is on lasix so she is always thirsty. She wouldn't drink from her fountain but she loves to drink from the bathroom faucet. That's definitely her favorite water source. Also she will drink from a bowl if she has to but she prefers a tall glass so she can sit upright. I have pint glasses of water in every room.

humr65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Switching to wet food (canned not wet dry food) could also help with weight. Most canned food has more protein and less carbs and calories then dry, so they get more good stuff and less filler. How much to feed depends on, age, energy level, how much you play with her, if she is spayed or not, ideal weight, and how many calories the food you are feeding has.

It would be better for figure out how many calories she needs, then based on that, looking at the food label to help tell you how much you need to feed. For example (since I don't know which you are feeding), the Purina One Indoor Advantage has 398 kcal per cup (265 for 2/3 cup) but the Purina One wet foods all have less then 100 kcal per 3oz can.

humr65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on lasix so she is always thirsty. She wouldn't drink from her fountain but she loves to drink from the bathroom faucet. That's definitely her favorite water source. Also she will drink from a bowl if she has to but she prefers a tall glass so she can sit upright. I have pint glasses of water in every room.

humr65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mixed water in with her dry Purina One and she ate every bite of it and seems to be more satisfied in between feeding times. And I'm trying to not give her too many treats. Thanks for all the help. She hasn't wanted to be very cuddly with me sitting in my lap or anything but this evening she took a good little nap in my lap so that tickled me

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of ours preferred to let their water sit for a couple of days before drinking it. The vet said it was to let the chemicals the water company used dissipate. We kept and keep two bowls so they can be changed at different times.

I suspect a water filtering system would take care of this.

The vet also said to rinse the bowls. If washing with soap to be absolutely sure there is no soap residue any where on the bowls.

As a kitten Sweet Gum watched the dog drink water and has based her drinking style on that. I'm not sure that's a good reason to get a dog, but SG does drink with zest.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo doesn't drink water, either, except from the toilet, and sometimes the lid is closed. He gets crystals, so I started feeding him wet food twice a day, and mix a couple tablespoons of water in it. He seems to do fine on that.

Two-thirds a cup of dry seems like too much food to me, depending on your cat's size and weight. To get her to lose, try 1/4 cup twice a day.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I keep Homer's water Mug (yes he likes a mug) next to his bed, not his food or his litter box. He likes to take his nightly bath, then get a big drink of water, then go to sleep. He doesn't like fresh tap water. He gets bottled purified water. He has always been a big drinker though. I tried to get him a fountain, he thought it was going to kill him and would have nothing to do with it.

Name9335

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most cats don't, they don't have the thirst drive. That is one of the reasons why it is really important that cats are not fed kibble. Either an all wet diet, or raw if you can do it, would be best.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought, but you might want to provide a saucer of KMR -- use the powder that you mix yourself, or I notice that in the US, locally, the supermarkets stock lactose free cow's milk. Alternatively, Pet Smart now carries goat milk. If you any of these, you would have to reduce the amount of dry food you feed to avoid a fat cat. But that would reduce the problem of a cat not drinking enough fluid.