My Kitten's Fur

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my new kitten's fur is a lot different than the fur my other two cats had when they were kittens and I can't figure it out! He's really fluffy (because kitten, obviously) but his fur is much denser than I remember my other two cats being (they're both short hair, but one has really short silky hair and the other has a thicker undercoat and slightly longer hairs on top, but still short). His hair is short until his shoulder blades and then he has these longer hairs that poke through the dense fluffy fur. He also has a slightly fluffy tail, but not what I would say was the tail of a long hair cat.

I'm also curious about his coloring. He mainly looks grey but has some brown streaks on his face and some cream on his belly.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a sweet, sweet tabby. He's probably going to be a medium- or long-haired cat. That fluffy tail certainly indicates some long-haired genes. I love the white around his eyes. He's going to be beautiful when he's fully grown.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm halfway torn between being excited to see what he looks like when he's fully grown and wanting him to stay tiny and fluffy forever!

His longer hairs are somewhat covering up his striping right now, will that even out as everything grows in? I love his stripes

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he's just this side of 12 weeks, by the way. Going to get snipped this weekend :eek:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tinalakepia tinalakepia - Your kitten has coarse guard hairs over a dense undercoat, a trait most often associated with the three giant breeds and their natural cold weather habitats (northern New England, Norway and Siberia). At just shy of twelve weeks, it's difficult to tell how he'll turn out, but he's certainly a handsome fellow, isn't he?

Welcome to TCS, by the way.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Beautiful example of a brown mackeral tabby!

Thank you for taking him to get neutered, BTW! You're helping his future health as well as working to prevent pet overpopulation.

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I may have waited too long to get my other male Jack neutered that I believe attributed to some of his behavior problems (strong desire to roam and fight with neighborhood cats when he escapes) that I'm hoping to avoid with Maverick (kitten)

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
Maverick is about 20 weeks now, his guard hairs have grown in more and he is overall more fluffy. His hairs along his spine and are still longer than the sides, and longer towards the back. Unfortunately his stripes are not as prominent as they were when he was little

He is also getting big! He's already 6 1/2 pounds which I feel like is large for a kitten his age.

(The last picture was when we were evacuating from the Northern California fires about a week and a half ago) IMG_7299.JPG IMG_7274.JPG IMG_7214.JPG

tinalakepia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:
Maverick is about 20 weeks now, his guard hairs have grown in more and he is overall more fluffy. His hairs along his spine and are still longer than the sides, and longer towards the back. Unfortunately his stripes are not as prominent as they were when he was little

He is also getting big! He's already 6 1/2 pounds which I feel like is large for a kitten his age.

(The last picture was when we were evacuating from the Northern California fires about a week and a half ago)View attachment 201806View attachment 201807View attachment 201809