My Kittens Aren't Playful At All

LunaxRuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you read my other threads you would know i have 2 kittens Luna and Bella they are around 5 to 6 weeks old, i bought so many toys for them feathers, balls and a long ass tree house filled with toys, yet they arent playful like AT ALL, when i try to move the ball around them they would look at it but not touch it and if it is too close they would back off, Bella just would either sit on my lap and sleep or sit in a corner staring at me until she falls asleep WHILE SITTING, while Luna would jump around follow me then sit next me or on me and she keeps staring to me and meowing while shes on my lap but they wont touch ANY of their toys, Im at work from 7:30 to 4:00, I hope im not a cruel mommy, but the house is big and there are a lot of dangures places, so i bought a big ass cage from them that cost me about 150$, and i put them in when i go to work and sleep since i cant montier them ( which i Hope it wont cause them emotional issue's ) idk im scared i just love them TOO MUCH and want to insure they dont get harmed, anyways i want them to be able to play with toys while im gone and not be bored what should i do?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked with the vet to rule out any possible ailments your kitties may be having?

Kittens are usually hyper-active. Try the simple non-costly ones like crumpled papers, empty shoe boxes or paper bags. My kitten's favorite, out of the many toys she has, is a simple crumpled paper, or even a cap of the bottle, although she also enjoys her small balls with bells inside.

Have you tried the string or a shoe lace? Try to play with them using this by having them chase it. Maybe they just need stimulation.

When you place them in this cage, do they have their litterboxes, water and food inside? Try to kitten-proof your house so they have free reign in the whole house or at least most parts of it while you are off to work. Kittens love to explore and confining them in a limited space may discourage them to get more adventurous and curious. While yo do this, you can also install cameras so you can see what they do while you are at work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaxRuna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you checked with the vet to rule out any possible ailments your kitties may be having?

Kittens are usually hyper-active. Try the simple non-costly ones like crumpled papers, empty shoe boxes or paper bags. My kitten's favorite, out of the many toys she has, is a simple crumpled paper, or even a cap of the bottle, although she also enjoys her small balls with bells inside.

Have you tried the string or a shoe lace? Try to play with them using this by having them chase it. Maybe they just need stimulation.

When you place them in this cage, do they have their litter boxes, water and food inside? Try to kitten-proof your house so they have free reign in the whole house or at least most parts of it while you are off to work. Kittens love to explore and confining them in a limited space may discourage them to get more adventurous and curious. While yo do this, you can also install cameras so you can see what they do while you are at work.
hmm ill try doing that and testing toy's when im home, so far the most interested thing that are in is my figures lol, as for the care yes, it has the food litter box water , bed , and everything.

and as for leaving them alone in the house there are stairs like EVERYWHERE i mean EVERYWHERE and they are TINY, last time bella went on the stairs she tumbled down i had to grab her and take the fall, and its impossible to baby proof the area, i don't know, like from 4 to 11 i let them roam freely i just follow them / sit on the phone and see them from afar, im to scared for them >.<

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 300365 View attachment 300365 My boys were 6 weeks when I got them too. That is so young but some times as you know there is no choice. I also confined the kittens using a baby playpen when I was unable to supervise them. Since there is two of them they can keep each other company. Start with very simple things to play with. Like a ribbon you can slowly pull for them to chase. Also I will post a picture is the scratching ramp that mine loved when they were still so small. They would chase the ribbon up and down it Then we added a ball. A lot of the time they spent chasing each other as they learned to play. I carried that little scratcher everywhere they where at. It seemed like it was their little comfort item. They will eat, sleep and cuddle a lot when so little. Just talk softly to comfort them like a baby. Every week older they get their playing skills will increase. At 4 1/2 months mine are zooming all over. Now I have to wait for them to get done with play time before they want to cuddle. Enjoy your cuddle time while they are tiny hold them close and carry them with you. You are basically their mommy and they need to feel secure.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would love to see a picture of this tree house. Im looking for something bigger right now.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're very very young, and also sick and malnourished. Once they're healthy and well-fed, in a couple months you'll be asking how to get them to calm down, lol.

It's fine to confine them whe you can't watch them. As long as the cage is big enough for a bed, litterbox, food and water, and a couple toys, they'll be fine. When they get older you might kitten-proof a bedroom for them to stay in when you aren't home, if you're still concerned about the stairs.