My Kitten Only Eats Wet Food

Educadoralisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is now 9 weeks and since he came home I've been trying to feed him with a mixture of dry and wet food spread out the day. At the beginning he would eat the dry food but now he refuses (any brand) and just waits to be fed with wet food.
All my previous cats have been fed with both food and I would like to keep that way with Peanut. And because Peanut is only eating wet food Teddy wants to eat the same.
What can I do to get Peanut eating dry food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Educadoralisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry food is good for teeth. So for me having a mix of dry and wet prevents teeth problems.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Azazel! You're lucky that your cat prefers wet food over dry since wet foods tend to have lots more protein and far fewer carbohydrates than dry food.

Your response about the teeth popped up just as I was about to post, Educadoralisa Educadoralisa , so I found the Cat Site's article about dry food and dental health. It's here. Our vet is a big proponent of feeding wet food and brushing cats' teeth. It sounds strange but our cats really enjoy it!

Enjoy your kitten!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like both wet and dry. I would leave dry out, just put a bit of dry out fresh each day in case they get hungry and want to munch on it. Then i would just feed as much wet food as they want to eat. :) If they only want to eat wet i would not worry about it. Feed them what keeps them happy and healthy :heartshape:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed both wet and dry food, and my boy still has teeth problems, including extractions, resorption etc. The most beneficial thing for him is getting regular cleanings done.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There can also apparently be a genetic component to dental problems: our vet told us that Siamese cats (and mixes, like we have) are particularly prone to them.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten is now 9 weeks and since he came home I've been trying to feed him with a mixture of dry and wet food spread out the day. At the beginning he would eat the dry food but now he refuses (any brand) and just waits to be fed with wet food.
All my previous cats have been fed with both food and I would like to keep that way with Peanut. And because Peanut is only eating wet food Teddy wants to eat the same.
What can I do to get Peanut eating dry food?
Wet food is far better for cats than dry food so I wouldn't worry

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You should be glad two cats only want wet food. Dry food is only good if you get a freeze-dried raw product that can be mixed in water or given as a treat. TCS does have a lot of posters who can't afford an all-wet diet or get cats to eat wet food at all, but in this case there is no reason to make Peanut and Teddy eat kibbles.