My Kitten May Have Fip

MowgsandBags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As of today my kitten is suspected to have FIP after having a blood sample taken.
I am in denial.
He first started getting the symptoms on Friday 8th June and we took him to the vets on Monday as the symptoms worstened
The symptoms he had were:
  • Not gaining weight - Although we found out his cousin was stealing half his food! - We have since separated them when eating and it seems he is eating more each day now.
  • Lethargic
  • Slight sneezing
After taking him to the vets they did a scan and found fluid in the chest cavity after feeling a lump near the liver. We also found that he had a temperature of 39.7
They gave him some antibiotics and his temperature went down to 39 the next day and he was starting to be less lethargic and more energetic.
That's when they took the blood test and I had a call today to say it may be FIP.
Despite this today he seemed so well this morning, play fighting with his cousin, eating like crazy and regular bowl movements.
The vet says the antibiotics may have sorted another illness caused by the FIP and that is why he is perking up, but it's so hard to think he is dying despite him looking better.
Has anyone got any suggestions if their cat had FIP and started looking better before it goes down hill?
I'm getting my hopes up here thinking it may not be FIP however the vet seems almost positive it is FIP.
They have said they can do a test on the fluid in the chest to see, however if it is for my benefit to know if he has this or not, I do not want him to go through the pain and stress of these check ups unless it means it is something else which can be resolved.

My biggest confusion is why is he looking so well? Is this normal for Kittens with FIP?
P.S. Mowgli is only 13 weeks old, I am not ready to say goodbye </3

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the FIP diagnosis. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers that he does NOT have it.
Do keep us updated on him, i will worry for you guys.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would insist on having the fluid in his chest analyzed. Blood work will not tell you anything about FIP.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Agree with analyzing the chest fluid. That will help you determine the cause. And what’s this lump near the liver? Is it real or artifact?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MowgsandBags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know it is is real or artificial, they have told me that Mowgli is too small to stick a needle in and remove the fluid and there isn't enough fluid to remove.
The other thing it could possibly be is a shunt on the liver but they said they are almost positive it is fip.
He started by gaining 0.04kg over almost a month! to now that daily since being on antibiotics, he is eating more and gaining weight hopefully so we can proceed. I have arranged a second opinion with another vet on Saturday to see if they have any other ideas.
Has anyone else had experience with a kitten with FIP? Do they get better on the antibiotics before they get worst? Almost all the symptoms have gone - it just feels like a waiting game.
I cannot accept this without a fight! My poor baby </3

MowgsandBags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I just wanted to update.
Despite the emotional drain over the last month, our Mowgli seems to be doing alot better. The vet saw him for a check up as we decided to look at his vaccinations again now that he seemed better and she said if she had not seen him before he seems to be a perfectly healthy cat.
Obviously I do not want to jinx anything! Touch wood!
But he has been off antibiotics for about 3 weeks now and seems to be still doing great! Eating like a pig to be honest!
Very playful, a lot less tired but still he has always been lazy.

If your cat is diagnosed with FIP - I would recommend seeking a second opinion as we did, as it gave us hope and they were willing to provide medication encase it was just a little bug.

We have come to the conclusion that this may have been a bade reaction to the vaccine when he had it, as his immune system was too low!

We are in no rush to get him vaccinated so will wait another month, as he is an indoor cat (not allowed outside yet)

Thank you guys for all your support - and I am so happy with the current outcome <3

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would notify the vet who insisted that it was FIP about the improvement in Mowgli's condition. It seems that they jumped to conclusions too quickly, and I would hate for that to happen to another cat owner who consequently discontinues treatment or is encouraged to put the cat down before all options have been explored.

MowgsandBags

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are back with that vet so they are fully aware! But they say they like to look at worst case scenario - however this was VERY emotional draining so I hope they use this example for their future FIP scares...

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great news :) thought my cat had FIP once but ended up being toxo. One of the reasons I joined this site was to get some reassurance.

I remember I asked people on the cat forum ( another cat site) to tell me what it might be but not suggest FIP ( it was so overwhelming and upsetting to think he might have it) and they said I was telling people what to say and wouldn’t let me post it. I complained and they banned me forever! Some nice person messaged me just before the ban to tell me to come here.

Such a nice relief to have a healthy cat.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news!!

Have you discussed neutering and all that with your vet yet?

I would explore different brands of vaccines for your cat, and would seriously consider keeping him inside permanently, especially if booster vaccines could be an issue.