my kitten is oddly unaffectionate.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
When I try and cuddle my kitten or pet her, she moves off to sit nearby but out of reach. She'll tolerate being held or petted briefly if sleepy (heck, she seems to generally like it even), but otherwise she'll squirm and or meow to be put down.. She's not afraid or aggressive in any way, and she's otherwise very bonded to me (follows me everywhere, etc) . She loves to play with toys, and shows her fondness for me by blinking and always purrs when I pick her up when she first sees me, but, generally in a minute or so, she's squirming to be put down, and if i happen to lay down next to her on a bed she's resting on she'll move to another spot, rather lazily all told, so it's not fear.

So, yeah I'm baffled.  Is it just because she's a hyperactive 14 week old kitten?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be; but it could very well be her personality.  Has she always been this way?  How long have you had her?  If it's new or sudden I would maybe be concerned she isn't feeling well.  

My Noodles is affectionate only on her terms.  She has always been one who has to sniff you before you can pet her.  She does NOT like to be held. She will come to me on her own terms and occasionally get in my lap if I'm on the couch.  But it's got to be her idea.  She does go through more affectionate phases and would be in my lap a little more often as a kitten. But for the most part it's always been her personality. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I do what my boy says. I'm his slave :lol3: :lol3:

It's normal for certain cats to behave that way some are cuddlely, some are affectionate, some are sticky till you can't shake them off and some like a little of touch and some it depends on their moods and some like yours and mine, we just follow their terms.
It's better to follow their terms rather than go against their will. That'll make them more 'fed up' and move away each time you wanna carry them or pet them.
If my boy allows me to pet or carry him, I'll do it till I see his body language that says enough and I'll stop. He's happy and I'm happy. Sometimes when he is lying down, I just talk to him and I know he don't like to be touched when he is in a certain position. I usually hug him and pet him when he's drowsy and again I'll watch for his body language. He'll meow at me to ask me to catty him and after awhile, he kind of struggle to get down and I just put him on the floor gently and he goes off to do his things.
So be patience, be caring and be able to read his body language will be easier for you and you will not get into his bad books.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilou is exactly like that. I've had her for a couple of months and she is getting better, but if I try to go to her when she is not in the mood, she'll tolerate me for a few minutes, then stand uo and go lie down a foot away. She doesn't appear to be scared when she does it, just not up for cuddles at that time. When she is ready for attention, she usually meows and rolls on the floor looking at me as if saying "now I want affection mom". She is so adorable it's difficult to stay away, but if I keep forcing it, she becomes more distant so I am starting to learn to respect her wishes and read her body language. Funnily enough, she tends to be more affectionate if I ignore her and do my own thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Ultimately, to my relief, it seems to have been a phase.  She's become more affectionate recently, snuggling with me on my bed, and even enjoying being held for short times, though she's still very much a moody teenage kitten, of course. :>

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are three stages to kitten development. The dependent stage, the independent stage, and the codependent stage. They start leaving the independent stage at 12 to sixteen weeks of age. In the independent stage it's all about their environment. They start learning that they can manipulate us in the codependent stage which leads to more affection.

lelly22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is just the same and will not be cuddled. He is about 14 weeks old now. As you say they follow you and he will sit next to me to sleep. He us also generally hyperactive ha! I keep thinking he will calm down when he is neutered an maybe one day get on with my adult cat. I bought him as a companion after one cat died. Now I am beginning to wonder if I did the right thing? Time will tell. I have had several kittens with larger cats and they all got on but not this time .