My Kitten Has A Cornreal Sequestrum

phoebemeowffay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 month old Persian was just diagnosed yesterday to have a Corneal Sequestrum in her right eye.

We were referred by our vet to an Veterinary Ophthalmologist.
They gave me two options:

I am going with the first option for now. The vet assured me that the sequestrum is not disrupting her vision at the moment. I have been using Terramycin, Gentamycin and lysine powder in her food (because she has feline herpes). But of course you can still see the brownish/black spot in her eye.

My questions is:

Should I just get the surgery? Or wait it out until the 4-5 month mark and see if its slough off? Surgery is my last resort. The thing is, I've read that if I wait too long it can mess up his retina and possibly lose her vision.

I feel OK going with the first option because the vet said it was fine and thats why he gave me that option and not just the surgery route if it was immediate.

I wouldn't be able to do the surgery until early next year.

She has FELINE HERPES as well andIread it can trigger corneal ulcers/sequestrum and slow down the healing. There is a possibility even after surgery it can come back too. I went to a third vet a few weeks ago before she got the sequestrum and just an ulcer and they said Famciclovir could be an option if this keeps happening.

And two days ago she sprained her right hind leg by landing wrong. I mean shes walking still, eating normal, using litterbox. She was meowing really loud yesterday because she was jumping around too much. So I am forcing her to lay low right now. She was stressed yesterday from all the vet appointments and being in the car stuck in snowing traffic, she even hissed at me twice yesterday. First time ever. I was shocked. So I have been giving her space.

I am so stressed out. Being the Holidays and working 40+ hours a week doesn't help also.

Anyone have experience with this??

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No experience, but I feel that, in general, avoid cutting the body if reasonable to do so. If she had a tumor, my answer would be very different. Since you can't do the surgery immediately anyway, why not give the medication a chance, and start a savings account for later surgery if necessary? At least there is something you can begin to do for her right now.