My kitten always has dilated pupils, advice?

thatphysicsteacher

Just another “catty” teacher
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I’m new to this site but I joined because my 6 month old kitten, Luci, has always had dilated pupils. I’ve never had a kitten before, I rescued her from Save a Pet at 8 weeks old, and she is my first kitten. I have a vet appointment to check her eyes but I just would like some of your opinions. Have any of you had kittens whose pupils are always round? I posted photos of her on this thread for reference (in some her pupils are noticeably smaller but still not a slit so I’m worried but also a helicopter cat mom ha!) thank you! :)

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice. Your new six month old black kitten, Luci, is precious.:bigeyes:
From the pics it looks more like she is staring at you or something that caught her attention. Please scroll down to this TCS Article that explains "Why Do Cat's Stare?" Why Do Cats…? A Guide To Understanding Feline Behavior – TheCatSite Articles

BTW, many of us are helicopter moms or dads so you're in good company here. 😉

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a female that has pupils that are often more dilated than what would seem normal. I'd read that dilated pupils are a possible indication of high blood pressure. I had hers checked at an annual health visit to the vet. No high blood pressure. She must just be an excited kitty.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always believe it was a light sensitivity thing. So, because cats have such good night vision, their eyes become slits in brighter situations to decrease the light that enters the pupil, and in darkness or dim situations their eyes are more rounded to allow more light in and greater visibility as a result.

I have also noticed this with my goats, as they have slights during the day but round pupils at night.

Just my understanding, not necessarily fact! Perhaps your girl just has a lower light sensitivity than other cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatphysicsteacher

Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Thank you all SO much for responding! I’m so lucky to have found this community :wavey:!! Thank you all for the information you shared, the vet said it’s nothing at all to worry about, thankfully. I don’t have the best lighting in my house which is partially accounting for here enlarged pupils and she is also extremely playful which is also leading to it, so I’m no longer worried but I will continue to post on her because this is great! Thank you all again!

thatphysicsteacher

Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice. Your new six month old black kitten, Luci, is precious.:bigeyes:
From the pics it looks more like she is staring at you or something that caught her attention. Please scroll down to this TCS Article that explains "Why Do Cat's Stare?" Why Do Cats…? A Guide To Understanding Feline Behavior – TheCatSite Articles

BTW, many of us are helicopter moms or dads so you're in good company here. 😉
Thank you so much! :) read the other reply I made on this post for a follow up, but all is well with Luci !!

thatphysicsteacher

Young Cat
Purraise
I always believe it was a light sensitivity thing. So, because cats have such good night vision, their eyes become slits in brighter situations to decrease the light that enters the pupil, and in darkness or dim situations their eyes are more rounded to allow more light in and greater visibility as a result.

I have also noticed this with my goats, as they have slights during the day but round pupils at night.

Just my understanding, not necessarily fact! Perhaps your girl just has a lower light sensitivity than other cats.
Thank you so much for replying! :) read the other reply I made on this post for a follow up, but all is well with Luci nothing to worry about!