My Kiiten has an obsession of messing up Litter Tray- tearing bag & geting litter everywhere!

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old tuxedo male kitten is proving to be a nightmare in his litter tray!

He's fully litter trained and knows where to go etc, but he really does go to the extreme when digging it up before doing his business.

I originally used plastic litter tray liners, using 2 together to make it thicker, but he was clawing through and so all the litter would spill through and into the tray, meaning I would have to fully clean and disinfect it each time I changed the litter.I then switched to sheets of newspaper, but he began shredding that to the point shreds and tears of soiled newsaper would be all mixed up with the litter- again meaning i would have to change the entire tray more frequently, rather than just scooping.

I've now gone back to doubling tray liners, which he is still tearing up but it looks neater than torn newspaper.

Can i just add that there is never mess in there very long- either myself or my partner are always in and so scoop immediately when possible- so i don't think it has anything to do with hygiene, i just feel like he wants to play about too much in it- he enjoys making mess- typical little boy!!!

Any ideas on how i can make the tray and surrounding area a bit more tidy? I'm thinking of going back to the clumping litter i used with my last cat- but not sure which is better?!

Frustrated, London UK

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, I gave in with liners a long time ago and just wash the tray each time for what it takes, my mams cat digs and digs to but liners never break ill find out where she gets them from, its either Asda or Wilko's.  

You might want to try a litter tray with higher sides so litter wont come out as much, and I have my litter tray on a door mat so I can just shake it into he bin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks- thats good to know that there are more durable liner bags out there somewhere! I'm going to Asda tonight actually so i'll have a good scout around!

The tray actually has high sides its quite a large one, but he's almost filling the space already- and hes still only a kitten, but growing fast!! (Our guess is he's going to be a BIG cat)

The matt is a good idea- i can't handle any more dusty paw prints in my dining room!

If you could let me know wher eto get those bags that would be great- Thank you! :-)

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah the mats are a god send LOL I just text my mam so as soon as she replies I can let you know.  I know they are in a white bag and are labled as unscented but I'm sure they have a slight smell not overwhelming though

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up on liners a long time ago. . .more trouble than they're worth, IMO. I find it much easier to wash the box than to fuss with liners.

If you need a larger box with higher sides that isn't too expensive, look at storage totes, not litterboxes. They come in all sizes, and you can either cut a hole in the side or just let him jump in, either way he shouldn't be able to kick litter out that high! They're also cheap enough that you can buy a few so you'll have a spare for when you're washing one.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi.  We use this box with no liner......

http://www.petco.com/product/108493/Petco-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box.aspx

It really limits the mess they can make, with occasional sweeping still needed.

We use clumping litter and scoop twice a day, using unscented wipes to spot clean any little smudges on the sides of the box.  By keeping a depth of 3 inches of litter and spot cleaning, the box stays really clean.  We only have to dump them and wash them (we have multiple boxes, 4 cats) every 2 months or so.  It even looks and smells so fresh after 2 months that I'm tempted to go longer (and have on occasion.)  We've never tried the liners.

Last edited:

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you both for your help and suggestions on this one!

Storage Tote is a great idea- i have one already i think, but its quite large and i imagine will cost me a fortune in litter!

We're getting a second kitten next week- how many litter trays do you suggest for 2? I remember growing up we had 3 cats and 2 litter trays, although one cat was an outdoor anyway, im just wondering that while they're both kittens will one large sized tray/storage box cut it? Or will they be fussy and want to each have their own?

Thanks again

A

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you txcatcom- will have a look. Idea of using wipes sounds good- i'll try this one..being the messy little boy he is, there are always plenty of smudges! And soonwe'll have one more- also a little boy!

Chaos!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to have one litterbox per cat. It's best to have one litterbox per cat, plus one extra :D.

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! will try there over this weekend :-)

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old tuxedo male kitten is proving to be a nightmare in his litter tray!

He's fully litter trained and knows where to go etc, but he really does go to the extreme when digging it up before doing his business.

I originally used plastic litter tray liners, using 2 together to make it thicker, but he was clawing through and so all the litter would spill through and into the tray, meaning I would have to fully clean and disinfect it each time I changed the litter.I then switched to sheets of newspaper, but he began shredding that to the point shreds and tears of soiled newsaper would be all mixed up with the litter- again meaning i would have to change the entire tray more frequently, rather than just scooping.

I've now gone back to doubling tray liners, which he is still tearing up but it looks neater than torn newspaper.

Can i just add that there is never mess in there very long- either myself or my partner are always in and so scoop immediately when possible- so i don't think it has anything to do with hygiene, i just feel like he wants to play about too much in it- he enjoys making mess- typical little boy!!!

Any ideas on how i can make the tray and surrounding area a bit more tidy? I'm thinking of going back to the clumping litter i used with my last cat- but not sure which is better?!

Frustrated, London UK
My cat has the same problem,  make sure his nails are cliped often so he dosn't tear into the bags and use those strong bin liners as they are better than the useual cat litter tray linners, cut it in half and tape it around the litter box with a good strong masking tape so it dosn't come off, he still scrapes excessivly but it reduces the mess a lot and is easier to remove and replace, hope that info helps, oh and put a mat underneath the litter tray to catch the litter peices that fall on the floor, you can always use a dustpan and brush to sweep them up after he goes.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi.  We use this box with no liner......

http://www.petco.com/product/108493/Petco-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box.aspx

It really limits the mess they can make, with occasional sweeping still needed.

We use clumping litter and scoop twice a day, using unscented wipes to spot clean any little smudges on the sides of the box.  By keeping a depth of 3 inches of litter and spot cleaning, the box stays really clean.  We only have to dump them and wash them (we have multiple boxes, 4 cats) every 2 months or so.  It even looks and smells so fresh after 2 months that I'm tempted to go longer (and have on occasion.)  We've never tried the liners.
Those boxes are good i use one of those myself, but don't get the litter trays that cover up the litter as most cats don't like being inside of it.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried liners once and then threw them away. xD
Whenever the litter gets to the point where I have to change it all (every month or so), I just give the box a good scrub.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Those boxes are good i use one of those myself, but don't get the litter trays that cover up the litter as most cats don't like being inside of it.
I've always used enclosed boxes and never had a problem (with past cats, fosters and my currents ones). I just initially leave the door open till they get the hang of it.

I have 2 cats now, and they have 2 enclosed boxes (1 large, one small) and an open one.

They seem to have sorted out their own enclosed box and only poo in theirs.  The open one they both wee in.  I love the way they've sorted out this routine!

So, I recommend no liner, high-sided and/or enclosed boxes, really regular scooping out, and the mat (which is a combination of the replies, really)

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've always used enclosed litter boxes here with no problems as well. It definitely helps keep the litter from getting all over the place (and the smell). 

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've always used enclosed litter boxes here with no problems as well. It definitely helps keep the litter from getting all over the place (and the smell). 
YEs they certinly help that is why i brought one for my cat but he just sat inside the enclosure and didn't do anything in there so i took the lid off and he went back to normal, so i left it at that, i guess for each cat its diffrent.

alexh17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all!

For the time being i'm putting a few sheets of newspaper in bottom of tray, then a double bag on top of this and taped around the edges- this is avoiding him pulling away the bag the minute i tucked it around the edges! With the newspaper as another layer, it will hopefully limit the amount of times i have to scrub the entire box!

The flicking the litter OUT our the try is becoming an issue, no mat of any size would prevent this- he flicks it too far away! i'm hoping this is a phase and doesn't get worse as he gets bigger- at teh moment he has more than enough space in his current litter tray.

I'm getting our second kitten this weekend- i'm hoping things are a bit more straight forward with him..

**Question to all of you who have more than one cat/litter tray- which is the best positioning for the trays, should they be close together or in different areas altogther to avoid confusion?? Bolt, our tuxedo, knows his tray and i will leave it where it is- but will he stick to his own or start to use both? and same for the other kitten?**

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
should they be close together or in different areas
Different areas is ideal.  That way if anyone is ever tempted to "guard" the litter box, the other cat can go to the other one that is in a totally different location.  And I would expect that they would both use both litter boxes.  That's the way it works around here anyways.  Good luck with the new kitten.  (Are you planning on using an isolation room for the new kitten?  It is a good idea to make sure he's healthy and to let the kitties get used to the idea of another cat.  I'd keep him separated until a vet gives the all clear for him to meet your other kitten.  If so, that would be where the second litter box goes for now.  You could gradually move it to a new spot later.  When we moved a box we moved it a few feet over per day until it was in its new location.)