My Journey Towards Better Health

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister shares my phobia, it's a flashback from childhood, so when the endodontist suggested to use the restroom before the root canal I called my sister. The first thing she said to me was, "Run," :running: In the end, it all went well and the endo couldn't have been nicer or more thorough but it still doesn't alleviate my fear of dentists
Ha!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not from me neglecting my teeth. All my front teeth are fine. It's the back teeth that my crappy childhood dentist wrecked. Nothing can really be done, but try to fix them one by one or get dentures. It's just too expensive.

One day he filled 8 teeth in one day. He went so fast that he put little cracks in them. As a kid, I had a sense that he was doing a poor job, but I would never have dared question my elders.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not from me neglecting my teeth. All my front teeth are fine. It's the back teeth that my crappy childhood dentist wrecked. Nothing can really be done, but try to fix them one by one or get dentures. It's just too expensive.

One day he filled 8 teeth in one day. He went so fast that he put little cracks in them. As a kid, I had a sense that he was doing a poor job, but I would never have dared question my elders.
If you find a good dentist they will start with xrays of your mouth and a thorough teeth cleaning. Then they will give you a treatment okay for each tooth that needs it. It might be as simple as replacing a filling or crowning a tooth to save it. Usually that first visit, even if you don’t have insurance is a couple hundred dollars or less. It is worth doing getting that evaluation as soon as you can.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have the money. The tooth implant thing was just something I dream of, not something I will probably ever get.

All these back teeth are already filled. They all have fillings. The childhood dentist cracked them when putting in the fillings.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My insurance won't pay for 8 crowns at once. They might pay for one per year. So it's not something I can get done immediately. I have to do them one by one or get dentures.

I am doing the best that I can. Everybody wants me to do this or do that on this thread. But all these things can't be done without money.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Very few, of any, of us have insurance that would cover 8 crowns in one year. Mine certainly doesn't. So even though my dentist has told me I need 4 crowns, I'm hoping to do one a year, starting next year. I just ask him which one he thinks needs to be done first.

And, of course, my insurance won't cover an implant, so I have to save up for that myself. :sigh:.

So hopefully, M maggiedemi , when you go back to see your new dentist in the new year, she will be able to look at your teeth and determine which issues are most pressing.

Sorry you had a bad dentist when you were a kid. It's amazing, though, that you didn't develop extreme dental phobia like so many of us (me included) did from bad childhood dentists. My dentist did a good job, but his "bedside" manner was terrible. :(

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand and was not suggesting what you should do. Just wanted you to be aware of the process and that there options that will help you save your teeth.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping to do one a year, starting next year. I just ask him which one he thinks needs to be done first.
Yeah, that's the only way to do it, one by one, unless you have a money tree. ;)

It's amazing, though, that you didn't develop extreme dental phobia like so many of us (me included) did from bad childhood dentists.
Dentistry is beautiful when it's done right. And all the new technology coming out is amazing. Too bad you have to be a millionaire to afford it. :(

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even have a bad dentist! He was honest, and while he did annoy me by asking me questions while he was working in my mouth, I don't feel I can blame him for my phobia.

I never liked the light shining in my face. When I was given sunglasses to wear through appointments with my new dentist it was a bit life changing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nooo, laughing gas is great!!! Lol. I had extensive dental work when I was very young (my 2-year molars grew in without enamel), and I loved the nitrous gas. I didn't like the needle they used to give Novocaine, although once it's in it's terrific. But that needle hurts.

But no matter how great nitrous is, I think now dentists use conscious sedation when they need to sedate someone, so they don't have to work around the mask. Nitrous has to be pretty steady to work properly so the mask gets in the way.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The dentist kept apologizing to me for what she was about to do with the huge needle. But I go "Oh good, Novocain!." I am so weird! :lol:
Nope, not weird at all. I can't have any dental work done without it. In fact, when I go to the dentist for a procedure and need novocain I always tell them make mine a double. :biggrin:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was living in Columbus but at that point in time, still was going to my dentist in Fairlawn, 2 hours from Columbus.I had 2 painful root
canals on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. I was in so much pain we couldn't go home for Thanksgiving, I felt like I was dying from pain. I called his answering service and he called me back, I told him that I felt I had an infection and would he please call in an antibiotic. He said I didn't have an infection, that one of the rcs went very deep. He had prescribed a mild narcotic that barely helped.
I told him I felt I should go to the er and he said do what you think is best?? I used ice, Patrick got a TG meal from Boston Market.
After that I began going to P's dentist in Columbus with very flexible hours, He was opened from 6am to 7pm. He charged a lot
more than my other dentist.I always had Nitrous Oxide when I had procedures.

I can still remember that horrid pain during that week of Thanksgiving.