My husband has kidney pain

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting last week my husband is having kidney pain , on and off . But like most man , he is not going to the Dr. So tonight he come home over 1 hour early from work saying he start having a sharp pain in the kidney . He try to ride it out but could not . Mike is not that kind of person to come home b/c of pain , nor is he a wimp in that area . So he realy has to be in a lot of pain comming home early from work . He try to lay down , but the pain is worse when try to sleep . He don't want to go to the hospital and now he is sitting in a rocking chair , since the pain seems to be a little better then laying down . He took some pain killer and they don't work . I give him a heating patch to lay on the pain , but have no clue if it will help him . Any one in here has a idea what to do to to help his pain ? Thanks

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your husband isn't well, but I really think you should insist that he see a doctor. This doesn't sound like it's anything to fool around with. I'm sending lots of get well soon vibes to your husband.

A couple of years ago, my dad had what he thought was indigestion, and when he talked to my mom about it, he said he also had a cramping sensation. Mom insisted on driving him to the hospital where it was determined that he was actually having a mild heart attack.

It's always best to not take any chances when it comes to the health and well-being of a loved one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys
I wish I could , my hubby is a real hard head in that area .

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hedi, is he urinating? If so, is there blood in it? This concerns me because he may have some major infection going on in his kidneys. I do believe he needs to see a doctor and soon too. Please try to convience him of going...

G

ghostuser

Does he have any of the following symptoms? If so, he could have kidney stones and needs to get to the hospital ASAP!

* Severe, constant pain in your side, abdomen, groin, or genitals.
* Blood in your urine.
* Signs of a urinary tract infection.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shell , he is urinating an there is no blood in it as far as I know . I just ask him again to please go with me to the hospital and again he said no . Now he wants to wait till the morning and hopefuly the pain is gone
If the pain is still there he will go to the hospital in the morning , yea right . I know already he wont go in the morning to the hospital . But maybe I can convience him to make a appointment by the Dr come tommorow , at least I hope . What is it with men ?

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by PurrfectCatlove

Thanks guys
I wish I could , my hubby is a real hard head in that area .
Hedi, so sorry about your husband. Some people need scare tactics. If he has an infection, the infection will only spread, worse case senario, he will become septic, meaning the infection will enter his bloodstream, and you can DIE from that. He might have kidney stones, which are horribly painful. I have given patients high does of morphine with kidney stones and it barely touches them. He might be afraid that he will be catheterized...and most men would rather go to war than have that done! But it might have to be done. Does he have a temperature? You might have to call his doc without him knowing, and make him talk some sense into him. I don't know how old your husband is, but it might be prostititis (prostate) which also means an infection. Now that he has kidney pain the infection might be spreading, called an asending infection. Damn..I'll talk to him. I used to beg men to let me cath them...their bladders were as big as a Macy's Thanksgiving balloon. Eventually, they gave in and felt much better. Is he urinating...find out. Good luck! PM me if you need more help!

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PumpkiCoki

Does he have any of the following symptoms? If so, he could have kidney stones and needs to get to the hospital ASAP!

* Severe, constant pain in your side, abdomen, groin, or genitals.
* Blood in your urine.
* Signs of a urinary tract infection.
Only the sharp pain in the kidney .
And thank you all so much for your help .

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend's brother had the same symptoms and let them go. He ended up spending a week in the hospital whereas he could have went to the dr and avoided the whole ordeal.

I know what you mean about refusal of the dr, my boyfriend flipped his 4 wheeler over on him at a race and was ran over by another rider. Refused to go to the hospital then and spent the 8 hour ride home coughing up blood. Finally, I got him in to the dr after 3 days to find out he had 6 broken ribs, a bruised lung and was starting to get pnuemonia. It's irritating as everything to have something wrong with them and they refuse the dr.

I hope he gets to feeling better soon and that he gives in and goes for some medical attention.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do insist he see a doctor ASAP or if it gets worse the hospital, even if you have to enlist his friends and family to help.

It could be anything as mentioned above or it could also be Kidney Stones (my brother had something similiar but he went in right away and got it taken care of before it blocked up and could have killed him).

Hope he feels better soon. Keep us posted.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hedi,

He really needs to at least see his doctor...I'm concerned as others have already posted about kidney stones, infections...I'd be darn blunt (who me??) with him and ask him if he wants to damage his kidneys permanently, a risk if he has an untreated infection he lets go on too long.

Please keep us updated,

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hedi - how is he doing? It's so hard to tell with this kind of pain. A friend of ours was rushed to the hospital with suspected kidney pain. It turned out to be muscle cramps in the lower back. I hope it turns out to be as benign for Mike - but please please make him see a doctor if he hasn't done so yet.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like what a friend of mine had which was kidney stones, but the only way is to see the doc. And he will eventually because he won't be able to stand the pain if it is kidney stones.

Men!. Keep us informed.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... I have been through kidney stones, and trust me, they ain't pretty.

Your hubby should get to the doctor pronto. Although most kidney stones can get out by themselves, X-rays are needed to determine the size of the stone (and if there is a stone) and there are several pain killers needed, such as Percosec, and other medications such as Bentyl (which dilates the urinary tract to make it easier for the stone).

If he starts urinating blood, then DRAG him to the doctor. If there's blood, then there can be an infection and the doctor may want to prescribe coagulants.

Of course, if the stone is too big, then surgery may be needed (my dad had to go through surgery once) to remove the stone. That's what the X-ray is for.

Regardless, stones are not children's game.... he needs to see the doctor pronto. If it is too strong, then take him to the hospital.

grampngram

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Victor,

Surgery isn't always necessary for kidney stones now. I had a bout with them a few years ago, and they used a procedure called lithotripsy to break them up implementing ultrasound. While the thought of passing several stones that felt like they were about the size of my head and sharp wasn't fun, it beat having surgery. (I had a "compassionate" Nurse that told me that all men should go through passing kidney stones...she equated it to giving birth.)

Drink that cranberry juice...it keeps them away.

He really should go in and have this looked at, and I hope it all works out well.

Jeff

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a "compassionate" Nurse that told me that all men should go through passing kidney stones...she equated it to giving birth
Oh Jeff I'm so sorry. We have a young lady here at our office (she's now 20) who went thru this last summer, while she was on vacation no less. Being a mom of a toddler, she compared the two pains, and said she'd rather go thru childbirth again than repeat the kidney stones!!!

(btw, her episode started with a persistant dull ache in her lower back, which she ignored as being stress tension and muscle pain. she was hospitalized for four days, five states away from home, and the trip home was very painful even though she was on the mend.)