My First Bottle Baby Foster!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut

Oh, okay! Is it also a good idea to cut her KMR with a little more water? Like 1:2.5 instead of 1:2?

I'm so relieved, haha. I've never been so happy to see poop in all my life.
No, I wouldn't thin with more water. You want her to get as much nutrition per meal as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another giant poop! This one was softer than the others, not quite toothpaste but closer.

If I don't have access to raw goat's milk, is store-bought okay? Are there any specific brands you guys would recommend? Anything I should stay away from, like certain added vitamins or preservatives? I definitely want to give it a try.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use full-fat goat's milk. Store bought is fine. Do not thin with water.

But things sound good right now. Continue as you are without making any changes for now. It sounds like her system is adjusting. Any changes may cause problems.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's officially the end of her second full day with me, and her eyes have just started to open! She gained 10.8 grams today, which is more than double what she gained yesterday! She's doing so well, I can't believe how much she's grown in such a short time. Kittens are seriously amazing.

Attachments

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update time! The chunky monkey is clocking in at 192 grams now and her eyes open a little wider every time I see her. Her favorite thing (after eating of course) is to roll on her back and have have me tickle her stomach while she sucks on my fingers - literally the cutest thing I have ever seen.

Her pooping is much more regular, but this most recent feed she did have an issue. She was able to get some out, but the rest seems stuck like it was the first time. No matter how much I stimulate and massage her, it just sits there in her butt. I'm going to give her some more olive oil and see if I can work it out once it gets a chance to get into her system.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's adorable, and gaining well. The poo will come out soon! :)

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
Thanks for the encouragement, I'm such a worrywart about her! Is it dangerous for it to sit in there until the next feeding? I'm afraid of hurting her if I fruitlessly keep trying to work it out for ages.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 It's been two feedings since then (both with olive oil in the bottle) and no sign of the rest of the poop. It's not even surfacing when I stimulate her, it's like it's totally gone. And I checked every inch of her carrier to see if she somehow pooped it out - nothing.

On the plus side, she's nearly 200 grams now!

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2
Around 2pm, so nine hours ago. It was firm, too, not toothpaste consistency.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's not an emergency at this point.

Have you been adding olive oil to the formula?

You really need to get glycerin suppositories so you can shave off a tiny piece to insert.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

What are the things I should look for that constitute it being an emergency? Her going off her food?

Yes, all her bottles have had 1-2 drops of olive oil added. I did go the pharmacy but they only had liquid glycerin suppositories, could those be modified in a way that they can be used safely?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you'll need to get the non-liquid glycerin suppositories.

Kittens do not poop at every feeding or even every day at her age.

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Ok, I'll drive around tomorrow and look for some at some other stores.

Yes, the thing that concerns me is that I know she has more poop in her since I saw it when I was stimulating but she couldn't get it out. So now it's just sitting in her gut somewhere. Hopefully the olive oil kicks in soon.