My Feral Cat (Snowi)

ntorres1031

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon everyone:

I'm sure most of you know about Snowi (my 2-year old feral).  I've had him since last August.  He's gained quite a bit of weight.  He still hisses a bit - but then again, sometimes I can pass by him and he won't budge.  He lies on the floor with his stomach facing upwards - so, I'm assuming he is happy.  He meows in the morning - and I just found out that it's not because he's hungry, but because he wants me to play with him with the laser light.  Amazing.  He's happy.  He's very happy.  He gets along great with my other three domestic cats.  I have a towel on the window sill and he lies there and falls asleep while the wind hits him.  He runs around my apartment like lightening.  I'm just hoping and waiting for that day that he lets me pet him.  I have patience.  He is beautiful.  I love coming home to him (and, of course, the other three).  My cats' names are: Raini, Snowi, Sunni and Stormi.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you dot the i in their names with a little heart?  I am happy to hear that Snowi is content and comfortable being part of your family. Good for you for taking him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ntorres1031

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the idea of the "heart" above the i.  And, yes, it gives my heart so much pleasure and happiness knowing that Snowi is home safe with food and lots of company and comfort.  he loves to sleep on the window sill with the sun shining right on him.  thank you again.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He sounds so well adjusted!  When I first tried to pet my feral, I used a feather on a stick.  He would play with the feather end and then I began to rub the feather over his body.  It got him used to touch.  After a few weeks of this, I was able to pull the feather towards my hand.  He thought it was still the feather touching him.  He loved having me rub the feather all over him and under his chin.  Before he knew it, my hand was touching him and not the feather.  The feather I used, I bought at Drugstore.com

Here is the one I used.

http://www.drugstore.com/purrfect-feather-bouncer-cat-toy/qxp153290?catid=187043

ntorres1031

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have a feather he plays with.  I also have a couple of things he likes.  He usually just stares at them at first, but then he plays.  I have to be gentle because he still gets a little scared.  I can't wait till I'm able to touch him.  When I'm about to feed him, I take a little food on my finger tip and I call him over - he does come to me, he smells my finger with the food on it - then walks away.  I'm sure in time he will eat from my hand.  It takes time.  I am very patient with him.  I do not look at him when I pass by him.  I ALWAYS talk to him in a baby tone voice - he blinks at me - not sure if that means anything - but at least he acknowledges SOMETHING.  How can anyone harm these animals.  I don't understand.  They are so helpless and so loving.  I will try to be a bit more aggressive as far as the feather is concerned.  These feral cats are like newborn babies - they have never played with toys - never been around LOVE - it's like starting a new life for them - one has to introduce things to them a little at a time.  I definitely need to feed him a little less because he has gained so much weight - I don't want him to be obese. 

sweet sally2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hang in there!  One year later, my little feral, who is now 2, is very affectionate.  She runs upstairs every morning to get her pets.  She is still a little careful, but each day, she gets more and more trusting.  When Snowi blinks, many will tell you, he is giving your kitty kisses.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blinking! He's smiling at you. That is a feral cat's way of smiling and putting the other cat (or person) at ease! Blink back - it will reassure him. Good work!

Last edited:

ntorres1031

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  I had a very bad morning today.  I'm on my way to the bus when I see an injured cat (not sure if he/she was stray or feral).  The cat was limping; I got close to it and saw a big open wound on his leg.  He face was dirty and he really looked sick.  It looks like he was bitten by an animal.  What does a person do in a situation like this?  I know the town where I live will not pick him up to have him taken care of unless someone pays for it.  I definitely cannot afford it - I have four of my own and it can get pretty expensive. My heart literally hurts for him.  He must have been in pain because I got pretty close to him and he didn't even hiss or move away from me.  How can humans behave to selfishly.  I blame humans because these poor animals have no control of what happens to them.  It was a terribly site to see.  The only consolation I have is knowing that my feral and my three house cats are home and they are happy and healthy.  :(

ntorres1031

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A feral cat is a cat that was born in the street and has never had any human contact.  This is as simple as I can explain it. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds like a pet cat! Is there any way you can call animal control or your local shelter. That cat shouldn't be left to suffer like that. He may have gotten loose and his owners may be looking for him. There must be someone you can report this to. In our town, it would be the police department.

ntorres1031

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, I did already.  This morning I called my vet who happens to be in the same town.  They were going to call Animal Control and bring him in to the vet.  I asked them to let me know as soon as they catch him.  It's such a horrible and painful thing to see.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I am so glad to hear about that. I really hate to see them suffering, poor dears. Thanks for letting us know!

Last edited: