My Family Is Violent Toward My Cat

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have a senior cat that is not neutered (when I rescued him I didn't know that cats should be neutered).

this days because a female is in heat outside, he pees everywhere and wants to go out all the time, my dad and my brother don't seem to understand that it's natural for him to do that, they overreact and start screaming at him and chasing him, my dad even throw things on him sometimes, and this evening my brother said that he'll kill him.

I really love my cat and I try to be around all the time so they don't hurt him, I tried to explain to them that it's natural but they don't get it, they take it personally like the cat is screaming just to bother them.

I wanted to know if their behavior is stressing him and making him scream and pee even more? because he usually calm down in 2-3 days, but this time it's taking longer.
And I noticed that yesterday when my brother (who's just visiting) and his children went to a friend's house, he was more calm.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he getting canned food every day? The moisture might help with pee problems. How old is he, is he too old to be neutered? I hope your dad and brother aren't hitting him with things. It's not his fault. Thank you for caring about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he getting canned food every day? The moisture might help with pee problems. How old is he, is he too old to be neutered? I hope your dad and brother aren't hitting him with things. It's not his fault. Thank you for caring about him.
Yes the vet said he's too old, and no I cook his food for him.

I know they're bothering him and making me sick, they're cruel.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kinds of foods do you cook for him? Has he been checked for urinary problems?

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he spraying, like backing up against a wall and marking it, or is he squatting and peeing? Does he pick specific spots to pee or is he going wherever? If he's squatting and peeing small amounts, especially if it's on a soft surface, or if he seems to be straining to pee it could be a medical problem and not sexual behavior. If that's the case you should go to the vet immediately because urinary problems in male cats can be life threatening.

If you're sure he's marking because there's a cat in heat outside, is it possible for you to isolate him in your room or a bathroom so your family won't bother him? I'm sure it must be stressful to live with a cat that's peeing inappropriately but there's no excuse for violence.

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kinds of foods do you cook for him? Has he been checked for urinary problems?
He eats meat with vegetables, and yes he has no problems, I think he pees to mark his territory because he sprays walls, stuff that are hanging...

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like sexual behavior so that's a relief at least!

Do you know who the female cat in heat belongs to? Is it possible for you to get in touch with that person and ask them to keep their cat inside until the heat is over?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you put vitamins in his food or is it just plain meat?

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he spraying, like backing up against a wall and marking it, or is he squatting and peeing? Does he pick specific spots to pee or is he going wherever? If he's squatting and peeing small amounts, especially if it's on a soft surface, or if he seems to be straining to pee it could be a medical problem and not sexual behavior. If that's the case you should go to the vet immediately because urinary problems in male cats can be life threatening.

If you're sure he's marking because there's a cat in heat outside, is it possible for you to isolate him in your room or a bathroom so your family won't bother him? I'm sure it must be stressful to live with a cat that's peeing inappropriately but there's no excuse for violence.
He sprays walls and hanging stuff... When he needs to really pee, he goes to the litter.

He usually stay with me, so when they are around, I go to my room and he follows me and stays with me, but when I'm taking a shower, a nap... That's when they bother me.

Yeah especially that i clean his pee each time, so they have no reason to complain.

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds like sexual behavior so that's a relief at least!

Do you know who the female cat in heat belongs to? Is it possible for you to get in touch with that person and ask them to keep their cat inside until the heat is over?
It's a stray female, all of the neighborhood stray's are following her.

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you put vitamins in his food or is it just plain meat?
No I don't put vitamins, the vet told me that the food is good and no need to change it.

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? Male cats can be spayed at almost any adult age - the only time a vet would refuse to do this is if the anesthesia may pose a health risk. He would have to be very old or really ill in that case. If you absolutely can't spay him there's really not much you can do in terms of modifying his behavior - spraying is natural sexual behavior for cats and he's not going to stop. All you can do is contain it and keep your family away from him when he's spraying.

As for the stray, is she feral? If she is, your area may have a humane society or rescue organization that does trap-neuter-return for feral cats to help keep the stray cat population from getting out of control. This cat will almost certainly get pregnant (and may have already had kittens in the past) and if she's a stray there's no telling what will happen to her babies. Not to mention that the more stray cats there are in your area, the more likely your male is to spray frequently. If you're comfortable sharing your location I'd be happy to research organizations that could help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vets don't know much about proper nutrition :dunno: Meat and veggies are not a complete nutrutious diet for a cat and is likely lacking in many essential vitamins and minerals. Veggies are useless for a cat's body. It's not digested so it just comes out as poop. There is a forum here on TCS where you can help on how to make a proper home cooked diet: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

There's a thread here with properly balanced recipies: Cooked Recipes Thread

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he exactly? Unless he's over 15 he should be neutered. Even if there's a small risk from the surgery, it's safer than having everyone mad at him all the time. Tell the vet that. And the vet may be able to give him some female hormones in the meantime to cut down on the spraying. I really think that needs to be done.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should get him neutered as soon as possible. From what I have read on this web site, it will take six to eight weeks for the hormones to die down. He should quit spraying/marking his territory then.

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? Male cats can be spayed at almost any adult age - the only time a vet would refuse to do this is if the anesthesia may pose a health risk. He would have to be very old or really ill in that case. If you absolutely can't spay him there's really not much you can do in terms of modifying his behavior - spraying is natural sexual behavior for cats and he's not going to stop. All you can do is contain it and keep your family away from him when he's spraying.

As for the stray, is she feral? If she is, your area may have a humane society or rescue organization that does trap-neuter-return for feral cats to help keep the stray cat population from getting out of control. This cat will almost certainly get pregnant (and may have already had kittens in the past) and if she's a stray there's no telling what will happen to her babies. Not to mention that the more stray cats there are in your area, the more likely your male is to spray frequently. If you're comfortable sharing your location I'd be happy to research organizations that could help.
He's too old, and there's no animal shelters in my area, when someone signals a stray animal (especially dogs), they come and shoot him.

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets don't know much about proper nutrition :dunno: Meat and veggies are not a complete nutrutious diet for a cat and is likely lacking in many essential vitamins and minerals. Veggies are useless for a cat's body. It's not digested so it just comes out as poop. There is a forum here on TCS where you can help on how to make a proper home cooked diet: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

There's a thread here with properly balanced recipies: Cooked Recipes Thread
Thanks for the recipes, I'll try them maybe he'll like it. And about vegetables, the vets said that it's good because it contains fibers which help bowel function.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the recipes, I'll try them maybe he'll like it. And about vegetables, the vets said that it's good because it contains fibers which help bowel function.
The only veggie I would give for fiber purposes is pumpkin. Most people use canned pumpkin puree from the supermarket. You can also roast a pumpkin in the oven until done and scoop out the flesh to use. I'm not sure if there is a specific type of pumpkin or squash to use :think: Some cats don't like the taste of pumpkin, though.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still curious to know how old this cat is?