My Experience With Blockages and PU Surgery

ltuilawa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry another question, how long is blood in the urine normal post blockage? My boy seems to be having no problems peeing but it's got a pink tinge to it still. He had his catheter out 2.5 days ago. The vet said it was normal but didn't say how long it would last. I'm going to call her in the morning but just curious about everyone else's experience

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Coco admitted to A&E due to not being able to pee, blockage diagnosed by wretched crystal. Vet tried to flush it back into bladder, which didn't work. So coco had PU a week ago. Came home last Friday & eating ok. Not much pee action & follow up visits to vets to express urine. Had breakthrough on Tuesday when he used the litter tray few times. Returned to vets yesterday & vet concerned about amount of urine he's retaining & could be nerve damage. He's peed in tray yesterday & not since. Becoming even more neurotic (if that's possible after last 10 days) about him not peeing. Going to work from home today see if bit of normality encourages pee action.

So worried that this isn't going to end well. Been in complete meltdown, loads of tears & not much sleep. Did sleep downstairs fir 3 nights until he decided no more sofa and found him on my bed when I'd slept on floor.

Do think he's having peeing accidents on himself as he's damp, bless him.

Anybody else had this experience?

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat had his PU he did well until after he had his stitches out; then he reblocked due to scar tissue. Do you (or your vet) think it could be scar tissue? My vet did a revision and he has been peeing fine since. 

Another problem we had was that he refused to use yesterday's news. He would go look at the box and then leave. After a day or two we switched to regular litter and he was much better about peeing. We had to be really careful to keep his incision clean from the litter. 

He was also a little constipated after all the meds and what-not. It was tough to watch him strain to poo and convince myself that was all it was. 

I think just about everyone gets close to a breakdown during PU recovery. Its not easy. 

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet doesn't think it's scar tissue, more concerned there's nerve damage. He's been at vets every 48hrs for check up & to express urine. Yesterday had breakthrough he did 3 massive pees on a puppy training pad. This was around time vet would've been expressing urine, so perhaps he's got into routine of them doing it?

Don't think he likes paper litter either. Put puppy training pad in tray to see if that encourages him, with litter beneath it to weigh it down. When he tried to use tray on Christmas Day it had shredded newspaper in & flipped up. So think he's wary of tray now. Got 3 litter trays set up, with different things in to see if that encourages him.

We're 10 days post surgery now & unless drama over weekend no vets till Tuesday. Stitches out at 3 weeks. He's so fed up of the cone.

Found he doesn't like big bowls of wet food, so little & often is better for him. Vet told me to leave full pouch out but coco doesn't eat it all then.

So stressful, think I'm worrying more for him. He's also got high calcium levels which they want to explore once he's recovered.

Lots of his normal behaviours coming back & he wakes me up by putting cone over my face!

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Coco peed a lot today & finally done 3 poops. This is great, except he's peeing everywhere since & had to put him in bathroom. Wondering if pushing poop out has made him incontinent. Keep checking him every half hour & still little pees in bath. He's really unhappy about being locked away. Just taken him some food which he's eaten. Waiting for vet to ring back with advice or whether need to take him in.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd like to think it is good that he is peeing without the vet's assistance, even if it is everywhere. Maybe he is just a little litter box shy at the moment- it has cause him a lot of pain and trauma recently. My cat had a very hard time with his first post surgery poop, his urine had a little blood in it afterwards and he had some more trouble peeing for a bit. Is he (still) on bladder relaxers?  Bear leaked until he was off them. That would be a bummer if it is nerve damage.

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still on metacam. He seems to have settled in bathroom now. Not heard him jumping in/out of bath to pee. Interesting you mention blood in urine post poop, cocos is a little pink. Hoping I can get him through this. He's just scoffed half a pouch of food. Fingers crossed it's the poop relief that's caused the pee dribble.

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet rang back, not concerned about coco peeing a lot. Got to monitor him & ring back if concerned.

Such a stressful time. Reading through this thread is keeping me sane, informed & giving hope(fully).

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the vet is not concerned. One thing that helped me was keeping a journal of my cats peeing. I had written proof that things were getting better (or different) rather than saying 'I think he is better than yesterday'. It gets tough after so many days and weeks of stress. We had the first half week of blockages/catheters before the first surgery, He almost didn't make it through the first surgery (there was a lot of damage to his urethra), two more weeks and he got his stitches out (his first poop was towards the end of the first week post op), after the stitches were removed he almost immediately went back to straining in the box to produce drops, he went back to the vet for 4 days before his revision/2nd PU, at this point we didn't really trust that this would work, thankfully he recovered a lot faster after the revision, and got his stitches out a second time after two more weeks (that was rough night, we were so worried he would stop peeing again!) Those were a tough five weeks, but eventually we made it! Just keep your chin up!

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the support it's keeping me sane! Keeping diary of everything, and took your advice reflecting on how he's improved. 3 big pees today. Appetite went a bit, so dropped bit of tuna juice and he ate. :clap:

He's quite fidgety at present can't settle. Think he needs to poop but won't. He's not crying just bit restless. Think I've managed to settle him. Day 11 now, only 10 more to go till stitches out.

He's so fed up if the collar. Gave him a little brush today which he loved, cleaned the cone & wiped his face.

Ive hardly eaten & feeling constantly sick with worry. Today have managed not to cry though, every time I go to the vets I'm in meltdown.

Been trying to go out each day for an hour or so to get him used to me going back to work on Wednesday. Think I'll be working from home as much as possible though.

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Coco managed small poop yesterday. Went to vets for planned checkup & he's happy with cocos progress. Bladder was empty, as coco peed on way there in his carrier! Wound healing ok and plan is for stitches out next Tuesday. Vet concerned now he's needs to poop, hopefully this will get easier as he's off pain relief now.

Once this is over, he's being tested for high calcium. As levels were high when he was admitted. Hoping we can manage whatever it is. Although steroids have been mentioned. Has anybody been through this?

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Coco had to have laxatives to get things moving on Wednesday & by Thursday he pooped. Last night he pooped again & kept peeing blood. Rushed him to A&E to get checked. Admitted for pain relief, check of kidney/calcium levels and to see if reblocked,
Update this morning, he's had comfortable night, eaten & urinating ok. They don't think he's blocked again. This morning he's straining again, waiting for vet to ring with blood results and plan of action.

So worried yet again.

fergiefurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji] sending lots of love it was a week after surgery before smokey could pee in his own his meds for bladder spasms caused him to wet himself. And it was bloody for awhile he did have a rupture in his urethra also. It was about a week and a half before he popped also caused by being blocked up by pain killers. And call me crazy but I was putting computer paper under the yesterday's news to watch the colour of the urine. This bump in the road will all be worth it in the end

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks FergieFurr. I'm beside myself with worry again.

Vet unsure if it's cystitis, kidneys or surgery site. He's going under sedation today for X-ray & check by surgeon. Fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of it & be able to sort it out.

I've got puppy pads in his tray to see urine output & clean tray post any action.

Woke up early as could hear him crying and must've been dreaming about him:bawling:

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Coco came home last night, after fluids, antibiotics & pain relief. His appetite has increased a lot & done a lot of pees which have been clear. Plan is to gave stitches out, X-ray to check for stones, blood test for high calcium & check surgery site tomorrow.

He's also got a heart murmur! Poor boy really going through it. He had a grump on when I picked him up & wasn't for cuddling for few hours. Then he came round & wont leave my side.

He's continued to use litter tray since being home, was worried going into A&E would set him back, but it hasn't.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Vet suspects he had UTI on Friday. As the vet that admitted him didn't do urine culture, she got him on fluids & antibiotics, can't be 100% sure.

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet has taken coco's stitches out today. X-ray of bladder & kidneys showed no stones. Colon ok. Wound healing ok & got to keep collar on until next weeks check up. Blood taken to explore high calcium.

He's home & bit wired after sedation. Good appetite & using his tray.

Hoping no emergency visits till the planned check up, fingers crossed.

nellyjuke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another mad dash to vets this morning. Coco pooped then kept straining with blood. Vet not concerned as he is eating, pooing & emptying bladder. Got to ride it out unless he doesn't do big wees.

Waiting for results for high calcium. Vet wants to start treating that before they decide whether to get wretched bladder stones, as that's another surgery.

He's eaten today, big wee & slept. I definitely think it's linked to when he poops, as that's when straining starts. Vet checked Bowel today & he's not constipated & his offering this morning wasn't hard.

Hoping we can't get through this.