My dogs attacked my foster cat!!

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats of my own and I just got a foster cat about 3 weeks ago. My first cat gets along with the dogs great even when he gets chased. My other cat is slowly getting used to them but he still hisses and swats at them. My husky backs off when he gets swatted, my australian shep. goes into attack mode. Well this is why my foster got attacked. He was not hurt thank god but I have to keep them separated because I dont want them hurt. The aust. shep came out of it limping and the husky mix had a nail in his forehead!! Any ideas on how to teach my aust. shep to back off when he gets swatted or is it just a lost cause??

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dogs must be taught that you are the top "dog" in the home, and then cats are next in line, with the dogs at the bottom of the totem pole. The dog needs to understand that the foster cat is yours, just as the family cats are, and they are off limits to her.

Are the dogs obedient in general, sitting when told, etc? Do the cats have perches where they can get away from the dogs? I would keep the Aussie on a leash when near the cat until you are sure he can be trusted...I have heard of people with more than one dog, where the dogs get into pack mentality and kill the pet cats, so this is nothing to take lightly.

I would also recommend enrolling the dog in obedience courses, so you can get professional input as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks guys. Yes the dogs do listen to commands. I'm keeping them separated unless I am there with them the whole time. thanks for the input!