My dog has been distant since bringing home 2 cats

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my dog has been really distant since we got our 2 cats. We didn’t get them at the same time but as soon as we added our first cat he started acting distant. He is refusing to eat his food most days. We have tried many different foods, so this is going on along with Him being extremely picky, refuses to spend time with me most of the time (he chooses to be with my mom now), and he also just acts really nervous and stressed all of the time. I can tell him a simple thing like “eat your food”and he puts his tail down (it’s normally curled) and looks at me with his human-like puppy eyes. Getting rid of him is out of the question as I love this dog even though he hates me now. What can I do to get him to eat? And to bond with me again. He is a 3 year old shih tzu that has always been extremely attached to me and always in good health. Any information you can give would be great :) Also some good food suggestions for a somewhat active Shih tzu, thinking about possibly switching to nutri system! This is just so weird to me sense he has always been attached, oh and he has also been laying around a lot. We have took him to the vet so please don’t just say to take him to the vet as I am looking for answers beyond the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - can you and others take him for walks, frequently, and play with him a lot.

I can't help regarding the food, but this may have some information;

How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles
It’s only me and my mom in the house and he has really short legs so he likes walking around 15-20 minutes a day if that. I have been taking him to the dog park to socialize with other dogs and people a bit and it seems to help a little.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How does your little pup and the cats interact, or do they interact at all? Do the cats pester him, or do they ignore him, and he goes out of his way to ignore them back? Does he ever seem to "like" the cats (tail wags, sniffing, or showing even mild interest) or does he completely try to pretend they don't exist? Does he ever bark or snap at them if they get too close?
Also, do the cats sit on your lap, or do you hold them a lot? Do they wear flea collars or are they treated with topical flea/tick drops? (If so, do you notice him avoiding them and you more after those drops are applied)?
What are you currently feeding him and what have you tried? Does he prefer canned food to kibble or does he only want "people food"? Does he ignore dog food but happily take dog treats?

It doesn't sound to me like this dog hates you at all. :) It sounds like something is bothering him and he's worried about something but there's no way to tell if it's the cats or not. If he's not eating and laying around, he could be depressed or stressed or anxious. HAs anything else at all changed in your house hold during this time other than the cats (new work schedule, new room mate, etc.) Do you remember what the vet did (bloodwork, X-rays, etc?) and what those results were?

I'm sorry to bombard you with so many questions! It just sounds like this little guy is really worried about something and I understand why you're upset.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How does your little pup and the cats interact, or do they interact at all? Do the cats pester him, or do they ignore him, and he goes out of his way to ignore them back? Does he ever seem to "like" the cats (tail wags, sniffing, or showing even mild interest) or does he completely try to pretend they don't exist? Does he ever bark or snap at them if they get too close?
Also, do the cats sit on your lap, or do you hold them a lot? Do they wear flea collars or are they treated with topical flea/tick drops? (If so, do you notice him avoiding them and you more after those drops are applied)?
What are you currently feeding him and what have you tried? Does he prefer canned food to kibble or does he only want "people food"? Does he ignore dog food but happily take dog treats?

It doesn't sound to me like this dog hates you at all. :) It sounds like something is bothering him and he's worried about something but there's no way to tell if it's the cats or not. If he's not eating and laying around, he could be depressed or stressed or anxious. HAs anything else at all changed in your house hold during this time other than the cats (new work schedule, new room mate, etc.) Do you remember what the vet did (bloodwork, X-rays, etc?) and what those results were?

I'm sorry to bombard you with so many questions! It just sounds like this little guy is really worried about something and I understand why you're upset.
I’m going to try to answer all of your questions let me know if I miss anything!
1. He seems to like that me cats, the oldest one (dahlia) he licks her all the time! He definitely likes her and sniffs her a ton. He has “snapped” a few times but this is only when she gets a little to close, but he doesn’t snap every time normally he just growls.
2. My 2 girls are sphynx so flea treatment isn’t needed for them as they are completely inside cats. And I do hold them as this breed is really affectionate and needy but we don’t pick them up often because they normally do they’re own thing
3. He is currently eating wellness core raw rev kibble but it’s getting really expensive. And even though we spend a ton of money on his kibble he won’t even touch it if you don’t add his homeade topper consisting of chicken, ground beef, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, and some white rice and then hydrate with some low sodium bone broth. I’m looking to find a somewhat affordable food even if it’s just a little cheaper, but I also want him to have good nutrition and the longest healthiest life he can have. He does like wet food but only certain foods we’ve tried multiple brands some of them are natural balance, solid gold, instinct raw, whole hearted, Merrick, blue buffalo, and that’s all I could remember. Also looking for food suggestions nothing from petsmart though because the closest one is 30 minutes away and gas is expensive 😅 and he does accept dog treats but only certain ones he likes jerky, and some soft chews, he also likes to chew on single ingredient beef bones.
4. The only other change I could think of is our apartment caught on fire and he was in the house. He was on oxygen and he was on meds because it was so traumatic. My mom had also been going through divorce right before we got our first cat.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 shihtzus and I can say they are very sweet little darlings but also tend to get jealous of each other. So as much as possible when I buy a toy, I buy for all, including for my toy poodle. When one gets in the car, the rest has to also follow, etc.

As mentioned above, you can give your doggie extra time by playing alone with him, walking him daily around the neighborhood, and other things that you can do only with him.

As for his appetite, has the vet gave you some vitamins or stimulants? Sorry if I may have missed it on your posts above. Try also buying various brands and flavors. My dogs also do not like to eat when given the same thing over and over again. So weekly I have to order different wet food online.

Getting rid of him is out of the question as I love this dog even though he hates me now.
He just wants more attention because he used to be the sole baby. :)
What's his name? He does not "hate" you. He probably just wants you to spend more time with him. Dogs are sensitive creatures and very dependent on humans. They thrive on human attention and affection.

Don't worry too much.

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 3 shihtzus and I can say they are very sweet little darlings but also tend to get jealous of each other. So as much as possible when I buy a toy, I buy for all, including for my toy poodle. When one gets in the car, the rest has to also follow, etc.

As mentioned above, you can give your doggie extra time by playing alone with him, walking him daily around the neighborhood, and other things that you can do only with him.

As for his appetite, has the vet gave you some vitamins or stimulants? Sorry if I may have missed it on your posts above. Try also buying various brands and flavors. My dogs also do not like to eat when given the same thing over and over again. So weekly I have to order different wet food online.

He just wants more attention because he used to be the sole baby. :)
What's his name? He does not "hate" you. He probably just wants you to spend more time with him. Dogs are sensitive creatures and very dependent on humans. They thrive on human attention and affection.

Don't worry too much.
His name is Chewbacca :) and the vet had me switch his food to wellness core when we first took him and she gave him nothing else.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m going to try to answer all of your questions let me know if I miss anything!
1. He seems to like that me cats, the oldest one (dahlia) he licks her all the time! He definitely likes her and sniffs her a ton. He has “snapped” a few times but this is only when she gets a little to close, but he doesn’t snap every time normally he just growls.
2. My 2 girls are sphynx so flea treatment isn’t needed for them as they are completely inside cats. And I do hold them as this breed is really affectionate and needy but we don’t pick them up often because they normally do they’re own thing
3. He is currently eating wellness core raw rev kibble but it’s getting really expensive. And even though we spend a ton of money on his kibble he won’t even touch it if you don’t add his homeade topper consisting of chicken, ground beef, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, and some white rice and then hydrate with some low sodium bone broth. I’m looking to find a somewhat affordable food even if it’s just a little cheaper, but I also want him to have good nutrition and the longest healthiest life he can have. He does like wet food but only certain foods we’ve tried multiple brands some of them are natural balance, solid gold, instinct raw, whole hearted, Merrick, blue buffalo, and that’s all I could remember. Also looking for food suggestions nothing from petsmart though because the closest one is 30 minutes away and gas is expensive 😅 and he does accept dog treats but only certain ones he likes jerky, and some soft chews, he also likes to chew on single ingredient beef bones.
4. The only other change I could think of is our apartment caught on fire and he was in the house. He was on oxygen and he was on meds because it was so traumatic. My mom had also been going through divorce right before we got our first cat.
When was the fire, and how shortly after that fire did this behavior start?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OOP

the fire was over a year ago and after he was off all his meds and stuff he was fine
That is so strange. I wonder if something happened that made him remember the fire, or if he can smell smoke in the distance that you can't and it makes him nervous? Either way, I'd keep doing what you're doing by playing with him, taking him for walks, etc. and see if he comes out of that. You said you ordered him some anxiety chews, those can help a lot!
Wellness Core is a great brand. If he likes human food toppers will he eat the kibble if you mix it really well?
A lot of dogs we keep like Fresh Pet as a topper, too! I used that for a dog I had that was old and got really sick and that was all he would eat. He loved it and it was easy to find, our grocery store carried it! (It's been years since I used it, and it always said not to freeze it but I did. The only thing it seemed to change was the texture and my dog didn't care.)
I hope he gets to eating and feeling a little more relaxed!