My dear, sweet Freya and how we will miss her

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am heartbroken. Late last fall, our family decided to try to find a kitty my son wasn't allergic to. Through a long series of events we found a beautiful pair of Tonkinese up for adoption about 30 minutes away. It was a pair of sisters that had come from the same breeder - but different litters. They were bonded and had to be adopted together, and you couldn't have other pets. We fit the bill. We met them and we all fell in love. And best of all, my son had no allergic reaction.
While we were meeting them I mentioned "this little brown kitty sounds like she's wheezing". Her foster mom replied "oh that's just her, she does that". I wasn't so sure (I had worked for a vet as a teenager) but we were in love and we gave the girls, Tessa and Freya, a loving home. Freya vomited from the minute we got her home. I called her foster mom who said "it's just nerves it will stop". But it didn't stop. I called my vet who prescribed Cerenia. It may have helped a bit, at this point so much runs together, but after a few days the vomiting continued. Her foster mom said, "She didn't vomit much here" But here's the thing - at their house, Tessa and Freya had to live in the basement because of the other pets. And the sweet angel, Freya, almost always went into her litter box to vomit. So unless you saw or heard her doing it, you wouldn't know. I researched, she had exams, she was put on a GI diet. Some days her wheezing would flare up, sometimes she seemed constipated. I tried to get the vet to address these issues. They tried different medications. Finally, they took xrays and they thought she had pneumonia. She went on meds and we went back every 2 weeks for an xray and they thought she was improving. But her appetite was getting less and her tummy was hurting worse. Finally I took her to another vet for a 2nd opinion. They did bloodwork and a urinalysis, but the next day she looked really bad, and I took her to the (very busy) ER for an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed her pyloric sphincter between her tummy and her intestines was hardened. There wasn't much they could do but give her meds and tell me her prognosis was guarded and she might need surgery someday. We brought her home to rest and to make a plan. She spent one last night with us at home. Sunday she declined and I took her to a different ER that was much calmer - I wish I'd known that the first trip. Anyhow, they had to put her right into oxygen, and their plan was to do a CT scan the next day as long as she was stable. Overnight she got worse (this poor girl was only 5 pounds at this point) and their tests showed her stomach was actually pulled up into her esophagus. They said it is very rare, especially in a young cat (she was just 2), and they have no idea how it happened. It could have been a birth defect. They said they could try to do the CT scan, but she might not survive the anesthesia. If she did, she might need a tracheotomy which most cats do not do well. THEN, if she survived all of that, they could try to surgically repair her tummy. And after that, they didn't know if they would find a cause, or if she might have tumors, or if they'd find yet another ailment that she had that caused all of this. They just didn't know. They said she was struggling, even in oxygen. They did not think she would have a good quality of life. We made the gut wrenching decision to have her put to rest. My poor, sweet, beautiful baby. I had only had her for four glorious months, and we all loved her so very much. We were her first real home, ever. I loved my girl so.
We are all devastated, but we couldn't let her suffer any more. She was beautiful and gave us so much joy.
What caused all of this I will never know. She came from an unusual (not healthy in my opinion) breeding situation, she was adopted at 18 months old, and abandoned two weeks later at her vets office. She lived at the vets for a couple months and with her fosters a couple months, until she and Tessa moved in with us. I don't know what happened to my sweet girl as a baby. All that matters to me now is that she was happy in her first, real, loving home. I need to cling to that - knowing she knew she was loved.
Tessa is heartbroken and still looking for her. Tessa has been extra cuddly lately and we are all comforting and getting comfort from Tessa. Tessa Marie and Freya Louise were best friends. Freya loved the sunshine and she loved watching birdies out the window. I'm forever thankful I got to be her mama.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You put so much love, so much energy into that dear cat. The last years of her life were as comfortable as they could be, thanks to you.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful, sweet Freya.......My heart breaks for what you are going through, but I truly don't think this was anything that could be cured or medicated away. It sounds like a genetic problem or a birth defect of some kind, and I really don't think there was anything that could be done. You tried so hard, you did so much and so much more than most. Why these things have to happen, I truly can't tell you, but I want you to know one thing for sure, she had a wonderful home, you tried so hard to get her the care she needed, and she had the one thing she wanted and needed most in this world, the love of a family. you gave her everything......
The bond of love you had with this special girl will be with you always. NOTHING can break it or take it from you, she is at peace because she carries that love in her heart for eternity. Love is spiritual so eternal. She was meant to be in your life for a reason, and I believe it was to give her the chance of knowing the real love of family and give her the peace that she will have for eternity.
In times like these, I always think of the quote, "do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened". There will come a time in the future when you know in your heart that little girl got what she truly wanted, your love, and she will forever be sending you thanks and her love. She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers.
Of course, you will miss her, and her sister will definitely be lost for a while. But cling together and give each other solace and comfort. you all need it badly right now.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all, I will pray for her little soul and that you all will find joy and much happiness in the sister that she left behind. please give her a kiss for me.....RIP precious Freya. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful, sweet Freya.......My heart breaks for what you are going through, but I truly don't think this was anything that could be cured or medicated away. It sounds like a genetic problem or a birth defect of some kind, and I really don't think there was anything that could be done. You tried so hard, you did so much and so much more than most. Why these things have to happen, I truly can't tell you, but I want you to know one thing for sure, she had a wonderful home, you tried so hard to get her the care she needed, and she had the one thing she wanted and needed most in this world, the love of a family. you gave her everything......
The bond of love you had with this special girl will be with you always. NOTHING can break it or take it from you, she is at peace because she carries that love in her heart for eternity. Love is spiritual so eternal. She was meant to be in your life for a reason, and I believe it was to give her the chance of knowing the real love of family and give her the peace that she will have for eternity.
In times like these, I always think of the quote, "do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened". There will come a time in the future when you know in your heart that little girl got what she truly wanted, your love, and she will forever be sending you thanks and her love. She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers.
Of course, you will miss her, and her sister will definitely be lost for a while. But cling together and give each other solace and comfort. you all need it badly right now.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all, I will pray for her little soul and that you all will find joy and much happiness in the sister that she left behind. please give her a kiss for me.....RIP precious Freya. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!
Thank you so much. Your words mean so much. I am sobbing now and Tessa is climbing all over me, sweet girl. My heart literally aches. I like what you said about don’t cry that it’s over, smile because it happened. Although I’m in pain I am so grateful we got to give Freya a home and lots of love. She deserved so much love.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's absolutely heartbreaking.

Thank you for giving these little girls a home and for doing all you could for Freya - you did so much and cared so well for her and it is tragic that it couldn't have a better outcome. Please take some consolation from knowing that you looked after that little girl really well, tried to get her help, and then eased her passing at the end when it was the kindest thing to do.

❤

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh that's absolutely heartbreaking.

Thank you for giving these little girls a home and for doing all you could for Freya - you did so much and cared so well for her and it is tragic that it couldn't have a better outcome. Please take some consolation from knowing that you looked after that little girl really well, tried to get her help, and then eased her passing at the end when it was the kindest thing to do.

❤
Thank you so much. I did get to hold her and talk to her and kiss her and I held her the whole time, so she knew I was there and we loved her so much. I’m so grateful I was there and she didn’t pass away scared and alone. I kissed my sweet girl over and over as she crossed the bridge and it hurts so bad but I am so glad I was able to be there for her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Freya, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

What a gorgeous girl she was, is, and always will be. One of the wonderful things about cats is that they live in an eternal "now," no fear of past or future, they exist in the moment. Once Freya was home with you, she lived, breathed and had her being wrapped in your love. Nothing else mattered to her but that love. Four short months to you was "forever" for her. And when it came time for her to go, you walked her to the Gate between This Adventure and her Next Great Adventure, and sent her on her way with your love to keep her company. Now, from her new home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, she blesses you for being her loving Forever, and she sends her love, translated and purified into Love, to walk with you down through all your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BeccaCat, I'm so deeply sorry and sad for what you and your wonderful Freya had to go through.
I'm sure, too, that she had a birth defect that went worse as she was growing up.
She was able for compensate for it for a long while, but then she couldn't do more than that.
You were her light in her short life of mistreatment and neglect. She knew what having a loving family means, she knew the warmth of a home, she knew what love is.
And she was so lucky she had you by her side. You never let her alone, you fought with her, for her, and you were with her till the last second.

I had a similar experience with a kitten, Leo. He was born with defective kidneys and though he was doing fine and nobody could ever think of such a problem, in his last few days things went quickly worse and he went from a rather healthy kitten to the end in the matter of a few days. That's why I am saying that Freya was compensating for before giving up.

She couldn't have found a better mom than you. She is on a soft cloud now, and looking down on you saying "thank mom".

RIP Freya.

P.S.: I have a Freya too. She's sleeping on my legs now.

Last edited by a moderator: