My Dad's Cat Is Throwing Up Yellow Liquid And Won't Eat Or Drink.

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So recently my dad's cat has been sick and not feeling all too well. She is throwing up a yellow liquid and won't eat or drink. We have taken her to a vet and got her examined and had an injection of liquids (i think to keep her hydrated) and the next step is to get her blood taken and tested to see if theres anything else Is there anything I can do to make my cat more comfortable in the mean time? She is also just isolating herself away from everyone else and I don't want my dad to be heartbroken if she passes away. (hopefully not) Should I leave her alone or what should I do? He asked me to try and make her as comfortable as possible so please give me suggestions on what I should do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are going to take her to the vet in about 15 minutes to get her blood taken. We've been to the vet twice already so this will be the third time and hopefully we can find out whats wrong with her and see if we can treat it.

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She must be seen by a vet , she needs a full blood lab panel , urinalysis and a test for pancreatitis . She also needs fluids and something for anti nausea . That's the minimum , the dr will know what to do

So the first two times the dr just stood there and did nothing ? Labs are the immediate step with a cat presenting as yours

Last edited by a moderator:

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Money isn't a problem for us either we can afford the treatment

BestBabyC

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why has she not been treated then? A lot of peoole don't have the money . So it's better to get the cat to a place where she can be helped . It seems she might have been taken to the vet but the vet's advice rejected because there is no vet that would just give fluids and send the cat on her way. Or she wasn't taken at all.

This is not about us and how we look. The cat can't drive or work . Please give her to rh humane society in the proper way , go inside and talk to them , tell them what's going on and see what they say .

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like I said I don't know any details. The only thing that I know is that the dr didn't do nothing the first two times. She had gotten a fluid injection the first time and then the second time she had an xray done. It wasn't near as serious as it is now
I don't want to give my cat to a humane center if I can afford the treatment. The reason she hasn't been treated yet is because we never knew what was wrong with her so we had the injection done first, then we had the xray taken the next day. Heres 2 days later and we're taking her to get her blood tested and see what is wrong. I don't know if you read my earlier replies but I did state that we are getting her treatment.

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I said I wanted to make her comfortable yes but I meant during treatment. Also we don't want to give her away because we want her. I'm telling you what they told me. We only payed for the injection on day 1, then on day 2 she still was feeling ill so we took her back and got an xray done. Here it is day 4 and we're going to get her blood tested. Like I said i'm not giving her away to any humane society, neither is my dad.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the x-ray show a blockage? That would be my first guess. What does the vet say? Have you tried feeding her plain meat baby food or plain boiled chicken to see if that helps her? Did the vet give her a shot of Cerenia to settle her tummy?

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are getting a shot of that yes and some antibiotics to help if there's any disease. And the X-ray showed everything to be normal.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This user stated that s/he took the cat to the vet, and then also stated that it wasn't initially as bad as it was. If the cat wasn't vomiting yellow bile when it was treated the first time, there was no reason for the owner or the vet to treat.

Vets make bad calls all the time. Many, many users on this site have lost or nearly lost cats because vets failed to provide the correct treatment. Additionally, there are plenty of vets who opt for conservative treatments if symptoms are not severe. Stop berating sabec.

S sabec , I second the questions posted above...any blockage seen or Cerenia given? Are you located in the US?

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am located in the US and yes she's been given cereina twice and now a third time.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am located in the US and yes she's been given cereina twice and now a third time.
Does your invoice from the vet have any info regarding the treatment? Not sure if it's typical, but the invoices I receive during emergency visits usually say something like "x amount of _____ given to treat symptoms", and then list them. Is there anything useful on there? You said she's going in today to have her blood drawn-- many clinics have the lab equipment necessary to read the results in-house. Is her appointment soon?

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all I am in the doctors office right now and second I am a male

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all I am in the doctors office right now and second I am a male
Sorry to mix up your gender, sabec.

Please keep us updated with what the vet says. It is critical that she receive proper treatment, as a cat can go into hepatic lipidosis if it doesn't eat. Could she have gotten into anything toxic, like houseplants or cleaning chemicals? Does she have a history of anything like this?

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No she does not she sometimes brings me and my dad plastic bags but never eats them or chews them. She usually just grabs them and lays them down on his bed. She likes to fetch I guess. Also we just left the vet and got an injection of cerenia and convenia. Also it's alright about my gender.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No she does not she sometimes brings me and my dad plastic bags but never eats them or chews them. She usually just grabs them and lays them down on his bed. She likes to fetch I guess. Also we just left the vet and got an injection of cerenia and convenia. Also it's alright about my gender.
Good. Did the vet give you any care instructions?

sabec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she did. She told me to just care for her and clean up anything vomit and etc. She also told me about giving her food which I just attempted but she still doesn't want to eat it. I tried putting some stuff on my finger and put it on her nose to see if she would like it but she tasted it then went on my bed. Any tips on how I can get her to eat it?

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes she did. She told me to just care for her and clean up anything vomit and etc. She also told me about giving her food which I just attempted but she still doesn't want to eat it. I tried putting some stuff on my finger and put it on her nose to see if she would like it but she tasted it then went on my bed. Any tips on how I can get her to eat it?
What exactly did the vet tell you about giving her food? What "stuff" did you put on your finger/her nose?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask the vet for some Science Diet a/d. That has gotten my kitties eating more than anything. It's also chock-full of vitamins and minerals. You may need to syringe feed since it's been so long since she's eaten. Offer very small amounts of food to begin with.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would ask the vet for some Science Diet a/d. That has gotten my kitties eating more than anything. It's also chock-full of vitamins and minerals. You may need to syringe feed since it's been so long since she's eaten. Offer very small amounts of food to begin with.
Small amounts of Pedialyte might also be useful in this instance.