My Dad has a new outdoor cat that he hopes to eventually bring into the house

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our two male indoor cats, Asher and Boaz, hate each other. We've tried the slow reintroduction techniques that the experts recommend and it was to no avail. Boaz and Asher are determined to fight with each other if there's no barrier between them. Asher and his sister Posie get along fine, and Boaz is SLIGHTLY more respectful of Posie than he is of Asher.

All that to say, my Dad wants to be able to bring his young male outdoor cat Javier into the house eventually, but I'm not even sure how he'd do that before my brother and I take our boy cats and move out. Is it an idea worth considering or is it best for Javier to remain outdoors? Javier is very sweet and cuddly with my Dad, which is why Dad hopes to give him a house rather than have him continue to live a dangerous outdoor life here in the countryside.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Again are the cats castrated? Castration ellimintes alot more than just reproductive issues. Many teritorrial behaviours are directly linked to testosterone. Neurered cats are far more civilized than their unaltered counterparts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Again are the cats castrated? Castration ellimintes alot more than just reproductive issues. Many teritorrial behaviours are directly linked to testosterone. Neurered cats are far more civilized than their unaltered counterparts.
They're all altered, both the indoor ones and the outdoor one. We simply have VERY difficult cats!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know when you and your brother are moving out, so the timeline does play a role in when it would be best for your dad to bring his cat indoors. However, there are reasons for doing it sooner rather than later, especially if this cat has not been an outdoor cat for too long already. But when bringing a cat from outdoors to indoors, there is a period of time that the cat should be confined to a single room before being gradually introduced the rest of the house anyway. The longer he has been outside, the longer he may need to be kept in a single room as well.

I think if you and your brother can keep your two cats separated, then the same can be done with your father's cat too. There is also a possibility that neither of these two cats would have an issue with Javier once it would be time to try introductions, as there is nothing to say that either of them would automatically take issue with him. If you all get to that point, it might be a good idea to introduce Javier to one of them at a time.

The 5 Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite
How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite