My Constipated Cat Got An Enema Today... Advice Needed Badly!!

jackie957

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there everyone,

I have a 6 year old cat named Ashes who had been showing signs of constipation for about a week. Last night he was obviously in distress, meowing in pain all night and not being able to poop. We took him to the vet today, about 3-4 hours ago, where he was given fluids, then lightly sedated so an enema could be administered.

I was told to expect a big "poop explosion" but since coming home 3 hours ago, he's done nothing but continuously drop small droplets all over the floor. No explosion, and even when he drops these droplets, he's clearly straining to do so. Still meowing in pain and occasionally panting.

So, I have a couple questions - is this a sign that the enema isn't working?? Or should it take several hours?? He really has passed nothing but sporadic droplets.

Secondly, should we feed him his dinner? We were told to give him food with some Miralax in it, but should we wait until he passes some stool before we feed him?

Thanks so much for any tips or advice or experience you might be able to share. It's killing me to see him go through this.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would have been preferable for the kitty to actually poop before the vet released your cat. My vets don't see a point in sending a cat home who is still constipated.

When they are constipated they probably aren't going to eat. There is no room. I'd call the vet and report your cat's behavior and symptoms to find out if you should bring kitty back.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Tommy goes his enema, he had a 2-3 inch super rock hard chunk of stool come out within about 20 minutes, and the rest came out later at home over the course of a few hours, but small pieces at a time. If he's backed up, he strains so hard he vomits. We put Miralax in his food in the mornings now.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my experience, when a cat needed an enema, the cat was kept at the vet until the cat either produced, or failed to produce...and then further examination or tests were done to explore why.

That being said, in my humble opinion, and I am not a vet, the small "sporadic droplets" your cat is only producing after an enema may indicate an obstruction of some sort in the colon. The "sporadic droplets" are being passed around whatever the obstruction is.

I would recommend contacting your vet ASAP, explaining the situation. An x-ray may be the next step.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, You need to take your cat back to the Vet.

No having a bowel movement, after an enema is a sign that something is obstructing. It could be a piece of rock hard stool, which needs to be manually broken up.

Also, do not take your cat home without having results. If they insist on another enema, after trying to break this up, (sounds gross--but sometimes they can use their finger to dislodge the piece or sneak the enema tube around it.)... Ask to be put in a exam room, with your cat AND a Litter Box.. do not go home until there are results.
That is usually about 20 minutes or so...

Another tip... enemas and not eating cause dehydration. I learned my lesson the hard way. Enemas are tuff on kitties. Ask for them to hydrate you cat with sub-q's... Yes, it is worth it..

I always made it a rule: if an enema is needed, then sub-q's need to be given.

Your cat is not eating because she is backed up from the constipation~~ just like us humans.

When you do give the miralax, make sure you mix the powder with some water, before adding it to the wet food. I would use an washed out pudding cup, to mix it in-- just a bit of water. You can also try adding some extra water to the wet food; that also helps with constipation.

Good luck and let us know how things are going..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackie957

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, thanks for your advice. I may have panicked a bit soon because eventually (about 3.5 hours after the enema was administered) he had a bowel movement and then 2 more after that, over the next couple hours.

Except now I have a new concern. Although he ate a small amount of wet food last night after his 3rd bowel movement, he hasn't eaten a thing today and his energy level is at a zero. He's done nothing but sleep this entire day (it is now 8:30 pm) and has no appetite for anything - not wet food, dry food, nothing. He's had a small amount of diarrhea twice throughout the day. But his complete lack of energy and appetite is really concerning me!!!

Anyhow, we do plan to take him back to the vet tomorrow if he doesn't eat anything tonight or tomorrow morning. I was just wondering if this total lack of energy and appetite is normal at all.

Thanks again, everybody.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, he did have a rough day yesterday. So I wouldn’t panic, but I’m glad you are taking him to the vet tomorrow. The vet needs to feel his abdomen to see whether there’s still stool left in there.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Between 1/8-1/4 tsp 1xdaily and he's on a raw diet with around 7 percent bone.
Helpful, thank you. I started my three on raw in December and they never had any issues until last week when two of them suddenly came to a screeching halt, poop-wise. I think they’re through the worst of it, but I’m going to continue with the Miralax at a reduced amount...more in line with what you’re giving Tommy.

(Sorry for the thread detour...)

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had many constipated cats in my life and they were ALWAYS sent home before they pooped at the vet. We never waited.
What kind of fiber does this cat get on your raw diet? I don't know much about them. Maybe it's time to take the cat off it. 6 years old is young to be having problems like that. What about pumpkin in the food? Something that will get moisture and water into the gut.
How's it going today?