My cleaning spree is stressing the kitties :(

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Every few months I do a massive cleaning spree. This involves moving furnature, sweeping and dusting behind book shelves and generally blowing apart the house and putting it back together. Matt loves it, he always takes the oppurtunity to explore previously covered corners. 

But Midnight's gone into hiding, and the foster, Little Helen. is alternating between hiding and hissing, and walking through the house crying. I'm trying to get this done as fast as possible, but she's never seen this done before and it's a particularly big job this time round because I am de-cluttering and re-arranging the livingroom as well. 

I don't know if there's anything I can do to help her during the job but does anyone have a suggestion for after I'm done?

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, is there a room where they can go while the cleaning is being done? Mine hide in the cabinets of the china cabinet. But I will sometimes put them in the bathroom or in the bedroom until its done. They really hate the vacuum and steamer. 

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't clean all that much so it was never a problem. (lol) I know that cats get very stressed when their world is upset.  I agree with the others that giving them a safe place to hang out would be a good idea.  You might break the cleaning up over several days to keep the stress down.

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also agree; cats get very stressed whenever anything changes, especially in their territory. How much longer will you be cleaning and moving things?

I would just let them out and give them treats. They will explore and soon be okay with the new placement of furniture. Give them time and extra attention. But let them come out of their own accord - they will emerge when they're ready.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
whenever I'm cleaning, I'm the one that's stressed!
 Everyone but the Rogue heartily dislikes the vacuum cleaner, so I usually open the garage for them to play on my car while I vacuum. This works so well that they run in there as soon as I get the vacuum out. 

The Rogue, on the other hand, loves displaced furniture. He'll have to sit on everything. He also loves when I'm wiping off the kitchen table although he's not allowed on there (he, of course, doesn't care about that).

so, yay to you all who manage to clean so well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, the Re-arranging is done, but the house is still full of things that need to go to Goodwill. Looks like it'll take a few trips. 

She had the good sense to go back to the 'safe room after a while, and Matt joined her as a calming influence. I gave them a can of food after. Midnight disappeared as per usual lol. 

I put the cat tower back where it's supposed to go, but there aren't as many book shelves for them to walk along now. When we're done I plan to have only one....but I'll need a Kindle/Kobo before making that step. 

I'm glad she settled down ok...she looked very upset.