My cat's urine is a little pink

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Based on the amount of water he drinks, Pee-ing 2 or 3 times a day is pretty normal.

Hopefully after all these water intake, the pee test will be negative and if he's out of the woods, do continue giving him the same amount of water as he is quite used to it already.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
gabicards gabicards When you're up to reading the resources and able to retain the information it'll start making sense.
Not every stone makes a blockage. Nobel never had any block. Chronic urinary issues have a number of moving peices. You'll talk more about that once you get the urinalysis and a diagnosis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good morning! An update :) So, Topaz ended up peeing 6x yesterday, all clumps were the normal size for him. It's not pink anymore, but I figure with that amount of liquid, it would have to be a terrifying amount of blood for it to be visible at all - if there's anything, it must be very diluted.

He ate all of his soupy meals, but at night, at 1am, he threw up a hairball. I was surprised because the usual tell-tale sign of a lack of appetite wasn't there - it usually starts a couple of days before a hairball comes, even if subtly (he grazes more as opposed to finishing his meals a bit faster) - but it seems to have affected him slightly today. He still finished his soupy breakfast, but needed some encouragement (by way of a spoon *sigh*). Behavior continues to be normal... the timing of the hairball sucks, of course, because now I need to keep an eye on his appetite. I do think for now it's just hairball related, and it isn't too bad anyway.

He's taking his meds okay, too.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good morning! An update :) So, Topaz ended up peeing 6x yesterday, all clumps were the normal size for him. It's not pink anymore, but I figure with that amount of liquid, it would have to be a terrifying amount of blood for it to be visible at all - if there's anything, it must be very diluted.

He ate all of his soupy meals, but at night, at 1am, he threw up a hairball. I was surprised because the usual tell-tale sign of a lack of appetite wasn't there - it usually starts a couple of days before a hairball comes, even if subtly (he grazes more as opposed to finishing his meals a bit faster) - but it seems to have affected him slightly today. He still finished his soupy breakfast, but needed some encouragement (by way of a spoon *sigh*). Behavior continues to be normal... the timing of the hairball sucks, of course, because now I need to keep an eye on his appetite. I do think for now it's just hairball related, and it isn't too bad anyway.

He's taking his meds okay, too.
Ok, peeing 6x in normal clumps is ok if by your observation is his standard pee amount. With such amount, blood in pee would be very much diluted and probably IF there's any stone, it may have been flushed away.

Throwing up hairball is a regular routine of cats. Just like my boy, he'll throw up hairball sometimes immediately after his full meal. My boy too, sometimes he'll just sit there and wants me to feed him spoon by spoon.
Yes, usually in the episode of having hairball, the behavior and eating habits does change a little and it's just like a warning before a volcano erupts, you'll hear rumblings and smoke from the mountain.

Good that he's keeping up with the meds and the meds may or should have help with the water given to him.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, peeing 6x in normal clumps is ok if by your observation is his standard pee amount. With such amount, blood in pee would be very much diluted and probably IF there's any stone, it may have been flushed away.

Throwing up hairball is a regular routine of cats. Just like my boy, he'll throw up hairball sometimes immediately after his full meal. My boy too, sometimes he'll just sit there and wants me to feed him spoon by spoon.
Yes, usually in the episode of having hairball, the behavior and eating habits does change a little and it's just like a warning before a volcano erupts, you'll hear rumblings and smoke from the mountain.

Good that he's keeping up with the meds and the meds may or should have help with the water given to him.
Ah, no, he normally pees 3-4x a day, in clumps of that size. The difference is I never feed him soup for every meal 😆 he’s getting much more water than he usually does. I only feed him wet or home cooked meals, with two tablespoons of extra water mixed in just for breakfast. Since the vets observed he was always well hydrated and he was peeing 3-4x a day, I thought that was enough.

So I think the amount of times he peed yesterday made a lot of sense for so much extra liquid. I was surprised he was even finishing his meals…

Thanks for sharing that about your cat. Hairballs always make me anxious as I associate them with his presumptive IBD… but I’m trying to keep in mind that he’s a Maine Coon and is currently shedding, so no hairballs would be a miracle. The intervals between them are of 4-5 weeks usually, but this time it was exactly 3 weeks.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ah, no, he normally pees 3-4x a day, in clumps of that size. The difference is I never feed him soup for every meal 😆 he’s getting much more water than he usually does. I only feed him wet or home cooked meals, with two tablespoons of extra water mixed in just for breakfast. Since the vets observed he was always well hydrated and he was peeing 3-4x a day, I thought that was enough.

So I think the amount of times he peed yesterday made a lot of sense for so much extra liquid. I was surprised he was even finishing his meals…

Thanks for sharing that about your cat. Hairballs always make me anxious as I associate them with his presumptive IBD… but I’m trying to keep in mind that he’s a Maine Coon and is currently shedding, so no hairballs would be a miracle. The intervals between them are of 4-5 weeks usually, but this time it was exactly 3 weeks.
Maine Coon? Then he surely need more water on a daily basis. Has he mature yet? If he has not, peeing 4 more more times day is quite normal as they don't have the strength to control a full bladder and so the going to pee several times a day is normal and once they mature and have the strength to control the bladder and they'll pee less times BUT the pee will be of bigger clumps as they now can hold much longer before the next pee.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maine Coon? Then he surely need more water on a daily basis. Has he mature yet? If he has not, peeing 4 more more times day is quite normal as they don't have the strength to control a full bladder and so the going to pee several times a day is normal and once they mature and have the strength to control the bladder and they'll pee less times BUT the pee will be of bigger clumps as they now can hold much longer before the next pee.
He’s 1 year and a half old, so I think he might be a teenager? (The only other cat I ever had passed away very young, so I’m not familiar with life stages, sadly). For this breed, he's a bit on the smaller side, at 5.4kg. He was the runt of the litter, too... I remember that, back then, the breeder did a million exams on him to try and figure out if the reason for him being much smaller than his siblings was health related, and they didn't find anything. Heart, kidney, blood panels, everything was normal.

I have since wondered if maybe he somehow already had an intestinal inflammation as a kitten and wasn't absorbing enough vitamins that could help his growth... but maybe that would have showed on a blood panel? Anyway, we don't know. He's small for a Maine Coon, but very big for a cat. I also think he might have grown a little over the last few months.

Hopefully we'll know if the problem is subpar water intake once we do the urine analysis next week. I don't know what's preferable at this point, but I'd be scared that an infection would continue to get worse until then. I used to have UTIs so often when I was younger and it was always I pain - I am very aware of the kidney risk, but I figure the vet wouldn't have asked me to wait a week if she thought it could put his life in danger.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He’s 1 year and a half old, so I think he might be a teenager? (
Maine Coon is a big breed and big breed cats mature from 2 - 4 years and so Topaz is very much a kitten still. I cannot comment on the biological growth of Topaz as I'm not familiar in this topic.

I think you shouldn't worry too much about his UTI. From what I read from here, I think things are looking good for him. Just remember to keep him hydrated.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Topaz might be having a reaction to the medication.

He continued to pee as normal today, but it turns out that hairball wasn't a 1x thing. He threw up more hair this afternoon, and then some liquid like 3x. I called the emergency vets, since the clinic where I take him to was already closed, and they told me to just keep an eye on him for the night. I'll call his clinic tomorrow.

He's moving around, curious, and actually ate the food I gave him, so now I'm waiting to see if he will throw it up. I only gave him a spoon of it, with some extra water. I'll offer more in a couple of hours.

The problem is - I'm supposed to give one of the meds tonight. I do think this is a reaction, but I don't know to which, so I'm seriously considering skipping tonight's dose until I can get a hold of a vet tomorrow.

Edit: He has diarrhea, too.

Last edited:

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s just peed. So we don’t have an intestinal or bladder blockage - he’s pooped and peed after vomiting. He also peed during the day, normally, and he had pooped last night.

I wont give him the medication tonight and will call the vet when they open tomorrow to beg them to squeeze us in - I need to know what to do about the medication.

He’s eaten more too and continues to move around and behave as normal.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The problem is - I'm supposed to give one of the meds tonight. I do think this is a reaction, but I don't know to which, so I'm seriously considering skipping tonight's dose until I can get a hold of a vet tomorrow.

Edit: He has diarrhea, too.
Maybe skip the night's medication and inform the vet about the diarrhea too.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe skip the night's medication and inform the vet about the diarrhea too.
Will do. He ate pretty much all of his food, given over the course of 5 hours. It’s been 7 hours since he stopped throwing up (it was all consecutive), so I will attempt to get some sleep and call the clinic early tomorrow.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He’s just peed. So we don’t have an intestinal or bladder blockage - he’s pooped and peed after vomiting. He also peed during the day, normally, and he had pooped last night.

I wont give him the medication tonight and will call the vet when they open tomorrow to beg them to squeeze us in - I need to know what to do about the medication.

He’s eaten more too and continues to move around and behave as normal.
It could be a reaction to the medication, or it could be irritation from the hair ball. There's no way to tell unfortunately, but I'm glad he's eating and is behaving normally.
Talk to your vet first, but you could ask them about adding something like salmon oil to his diet to help things move along. There are hairball gels, too, that you can give daily.
Does he allow you to brush and comb him?

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be a reaction to the medication, or it could be irritation from the hair ball. There's no way to tell unfortunately, but I'm glad he's eating and is behaving normally.
Talk to your vet first, but you could ask them about adding something like salmon oil to his diet to help things move along. There are hairball gels, too, that you can give daily.
Does he allow you to brush and comb him?
Is that something that happens? A cat throwing up multiple times due to a hairball?

I mean, it did start out with a hairball at 1am. And when he threw up again at 7pm, the first thing that came out was a smaller hairball with liquid, and then the liquid just kept coming.

I dont know. Maybe his stomach was also emptier in the morning when I gave him the med, maybe I needed to wait a bit after he ate something… who knows. I need to see the vet. I’m anxious as hell, but the rational side of my brain thinks it’s unlikely he’s actually sick given his behavior and that he continues to eat. We’ve just had insanely shit luck this year (my forum history would prove it), so my emotional health is in shambles.

Btw, he’s been getting a tiny bit of malt paste every night for about 2 weeks. I do have salmon oil, but have never given it to him. And I brush him, but not strictly everyday - most days. I alternate between two furminators, but he’s definitely shedding more now. Has been for a couple of weeks (we’re in spring, so I think it makes sense?).

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Will do. He ate pretty much all of his food, given over the course of 5 hours. It’s been 7 hours since he stopped throwing up (it was all consecutive), so I will attempt to get some sleep and call the clinic early tomorrow.
Let the vet know whatever happened.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that something that happens? A cat throwing up multiple times due to a hairball?

I mean, it did start out with a hairball at 1am. And when he threw up again at 7pm, the first thing that came out was a smaller hairball with liquid, and then the liquid just kept coming.

I dont know. Maybe his stomach was also emptier in the morning when I gave him the med, maybe I needed to wait a bit after he ate something… who knows. I need to see the vet. I’m anxious as hell, but the rational side of my brain thinks it’s unlikely he’s actually sick given his behavior and that he continues to eat. We’ve just had insanely shit luck this year (my forum history would prove it), so my emotional health is in shambles.
I understand about the luck. I've had times like that and it just seems like you spend your entire life waiting for the other shoe to fall. :hugs:
My cats will sometimes throw up several times after a hairball with a clear liquid. My vet told me that sometimes their stomachs are so tense, and it's similar to our version of dry heaving. Absolutely let your vet know what happened, and make sure they know the time frame and that he's still eating and acting normally. For now, just monitor him and try to take care of yourself as well. ❤

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW, the spring shedding season can be insane! My cats always have more hairballs this time of year. A wide toothed comb on a long haired thick coated cat will get a ton of undercoat out, provided he tolerates it.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BTW, the spring shedding season can be insane! My cats always have more hairballs this time of year. A wide toothed comb on a long haired thick coated cat will get a ton of undercoat out, provided he tolerates it.
It’s the first time I’m going through it. We were in Brazil from Decemeber to March, so I wondered whether he would shed at the time he was supposed to, but it seems to be working out alright. It makes sense to me, since the weather is changing, that so would his coat. A couple of weeks ago, we wouldn’t see any fur around, and now it’s definitely there (it was like this in November-December, too, when it got colder).

Interesting about the hairballs… all I had ever witnessed with him was one hairball every 4-5 weeks, with nothing after. But there was no undigested food or anything, he ate two full meals after the first hairball and digested all of it. The 2nd hairball was very small though - clearly visible and in the cylindrical shape, but there wasn’t a lot of hair in it. The one he threw up at night wasn’t big either, but it was bigger than the 2nd. Maybe he just needed to get everything out.

I do however need to be level headed when I talk to the vets tomorrow - transparent about what happened, but not panicky. I don’t want them to put him through any exams that might not be necessary, he’s gone through enough. I would sincerely appreciate it if they could collect the urine sample tomorrow though, instead of having me wait until Wednesday.

… the hairball wouldn’t have given him soft poop, though. At least it never has. It could be one thing or another, or maybe a combination of both 😬

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
gabicards gabicards My Nobel threw up his entire tummy every time he had a hairball. But since this is not normal for your cat I would have concerns too.

Could be a combination, hairball plus side effects.

Nobel was half Maine Coon, but short hair.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
gabicards gabicards My Nobel threw up his entire tummy every time he had a hairball. But since this is not normal for your cat I would have concerns too.

Could be a combination, hairball plus side effects.

Nobel was half Maine Coon, but short hair.
He threw up another tiny hairball this morning and more liquid a few times after. The clinic opens in one hour and I will call them. I’m concerned about an intestinal blockage, even though he pooped yesterday. I suppose if he has a blockage in the upper intestinal tract, anything that had already passed it could still come out. If anything it just means it must be higher up…

I’m heartbroken and very very scared. I lost my first cat at 1 year and 4 months old to an intussusception - he had two laparotomy surgeries and didn’t make it. I have a friend over keeping me company because I’ve been crying for hours.