My cat's third eyelids are out a lot

AelitaJezebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ever since I got Diane, she's always kept her third eyelids out a lot in both eyes. I've brought it up with her vet before, but they tell me it's not anything to be concerned about unless they're out 24/7 or red. I still find it concerning though. Everything I look up online tells me that they shouldn't be out at all and that the fact that they are is a sign something's wrong. I'm gonna bring it up again at her next appointment, but I think I want a second opinion on this.

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you say “out,“ how out are we talking? Can you post a photo? I have a cat whose third eyelids are always slightly visible. He had a herpes infection as a kitten and we struggled a bit to get his eyes healthy. Even once they were fine, you could still still a sliver of his third eyelid.. When he had a herpes flare recently, they were much more obvious (like over half his eye) and didn’t retract until he was on the mend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AelitaJezebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's more than a sliver for her. It's usually over about a third of her eye, if not half. They do retract at times, but it seems like majority of the time they're out.

Diane eyes.png

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And she has no other signs of illnes, even just subtle? Any eye discharge or squinting? It could be a neurological issue I suppose. When my cat’s were more visible recently, he initially saw his ophthalmologist because he wasn’t yet showing any signs of an upper respiratory infection/herpes flare. She suggested he might have a neurological issue, e.g., Horner’s Syndrome.

Do you anything about her history before you adopted her? Have you run any bloodwork for her and checked for parasites?

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my cat is falling asleep/ waking up they are visible a few moments. Sort of concerned me too because I'm afraid dust or bacteria will get trapped between her outer lids. I think I'll do some research on it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AelitaJezebelle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And she has no other signs of illnes, even just subtle? Any eye discharge or squinting? It could be a neurological issue I suppose. When my cat’s were more visible recently, he initially saw his ophthalmologist because he wasn’t yet showing any signs of an upper respiratory infection/herpes flare. She suggested he might have a neurological issue, e.g., Horner’s Syndrome.

Do you anything about her history before you adopted her? Have you run any bloodwork for her and checked for parasites?
She's had some eye discharge once, which I messaged the vet about and they said to keep an eye on her and to bring her in if she started sneezing or showing any other signs of illness. Her check-ups always show she's healthy and the shelter I got her from didn't indicate she'd had any medical problems prior to me adopting her. Maybe it is neurological.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of concerned me too because I'm afraid dust or bacteria will get trapped between her outer lids. I think I'll do some research on it
That's the exact reason why God gave nictitating membranes to cats... To PREVENT dust and bacteria getting trapped in the eyes. :)
The nictitating membrane (AKA: "third eyelid") moves over the cornea in much the way a windshield wiper moves over the window of a car to wipe away dirt.

Yes, some cats membranes don't retract all the way and you can still see them peeking out from the corner of the eye.
If there are no eye problems (redness, swelling, drainage, etc.) and it doesn't bother the cat, there should be no problem.

The membrane is partially transparent and the can can see through it, mostly.

If the cat is sleepy or if it has been given sedatatives, etc. the membrane may also peek out. Yes, if the cat is sick, somehow, the membrane might show where it usually doesn't.

If you think something is amiss, definitely talk to your vet and don't give in until they AT LEAST give you come concrete answers.

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the exact reason why God gave nictitating membranes to cats... To PREVENT dust and bacteria getting trapped in the eyes. :)
The nictitating membrane (AKA: "third eyelid") moves over the cornea in much the way a windshield wiper moves over the window of a car to wipe away dirt.

Yes, some cats membranes don't retract all the way and you can still see them peeking out from the corner of the eye.
If there are no eye problems (redness, swelling, drainage, etc.) and it doesn't bother the cat, there should be no problem.

The membrane is partially transparent and the can can see through it, mostly.

If the cat is sleepy or if it has been given sedatatives, etc. the membrane may also peek out. Yes, if the cat is sick, somehow, the membrane might show where it usually doesn't.

If you think something is amiss, definitely talk to your vet and don't give in until they AT LEAST give you come concrete answers.
Thank you! Great explanation. Kind of makes me wish I had some eyeball wiper layer myself