My cats suddenly hate each other?

briannathecatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we adopted my cats Clem and Craven last May from the same cat cafe. They immediately got along and for the last year and a half they’ve been best friends, sleeping next to each other, grooming each other and play fighting as normal. Last night my husband and I both woke up to our cats fighting and growling in a way that was unusual. When my husband got up in the morning he found that my female cat had blood on her nose and that she had apparently peed and pooped outside her litter box. Now our cats won’t go anywhere near each other and instead growl/hiss if they see the other one. I’m really just confused on what could’ve possibly happened because when I went to bed last night they were completely fine. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

(also not sure if this matters but they’re both almost 1 and a half)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like a case of re-directed aggression, where something must have startled or scared one or both of them, and they are blaming the other for whatever happened.

Usually it settles down quickly, but if not, you may have to separate them, and do a re-introduction.

Here's a TCS article with more info: Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck. Hope they're back to being buddies again soon.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, I would bet one saw or smelled a strange cat outside and attacked whoever was closest. Redirected Aggression like stated above. They will take a while, the trick is to make them smell alike and keep them from attacking each other for a while. Put a dab of vanilla under each cat's chin, or even better take a slightly damp towel, rub one cat down, then the other and then switch again. Get some calming treats at a pet store or farm supply store, that may help too. Please keep us informed!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Redirected aggression is probably most likely, and the most common cause of that would probably be sight of an outside cat, but you might never know. If they don't appear inclined to fight, you can generally let them work it out, but you might try a bit of a separation first. If they appear inclined to fight, you definitely have to separate and reintroduce them to an extent; I'd put a gate up between their areas for a few days or longer if needed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So we adopted my cats Clem and Craven last May from the same cat cafe. They immediately got along and for the last year and a half they’ve been best friends, sleeping next to each other, grooming each other and play fighting as normal. Last night my husband and I both woke up to our cats fighting and growling in a way that was unusual. W
P1000079.JPG
P1000038 (1).JPG
hen my husband got up in the morning he found that my female cat had blood on her nose and that she had apparently peed and pooped outside her litter box. Now our cats won’t go anywhere near each other and instead growl/hiss if they see the other one. I’m really just confused on what could’ve possibly happened because when I went to bed last night they were completely fine. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

(also not sure if this matters but they’re both almost 1 and a half)
Redirected or because they are older!
Cats tolerate each other. They are not friends anymore

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A similar situation happened a few weeks ago. As Jackpot spent a overnight at the Veterinarian. When he came home the following morning. His housemate "Miles" seemed angry with him. And hissed. The anger went away a few hours later. I read that when when some cats get separated for a period of time they forget about the other cats scent.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon is like that to my other cats. When she does not get it her way, or when she gets scared or surprised, she "attacks" the cat closest to her. Usually it calms down just after a few seconds, but I agree with rubysmama rubysmama , you may have to do a re-introduction if the problem does not seem to go away.

I hope things are better soon. Keep us informed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannathecatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone for your responses. We have a small bit of progress. We put Craven inside of his crate and let Clem come in the room (bc he kept trying to attack her), at first she seemed really calm and was coming up to this cage and smelling it. After a little bit, we let Craven out and they were super close to each other/smell one another and things seemed fine. But moments later they both came into the kitchen at the same time and Clem growled and hissed at him until he left. I’m grateful for some progress but I guess we’ll have to keep them separate longer.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. You can let them work through some growling. You can't let them work through stuff if you think they are going to fight, but growling and hissing without more is usually just an expression of concern, distrust or displeasure.

I recently had an episode of redirected aggression with my two cats which have been besties for years. I did a short break, didn't help, but all I had was some growling that didn't appear so serious. So I watched, listened, and let them work stuff out. Took several days, but they are back to normal.

I feel like its not necessarily realistic for a break to always get them back to cool with each other, and sometimes they may need to work the rest of the way back on their own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

briannathecatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. You can let them work through some growling. You can't let them work through stuff if you think they are going to fight, but growling and hissing without more is usually just an expression of concern, distrust or displeasure.

I recently had an episode of redirected aggression with my two cats which have been besties for years. I did a short break, didn't help, but all I had was some growling that didn't appear so serious. So I watched, listened, and let them work stuff out. Took several days, but they are back to normal.

I feel like its not necessarily realistic for a break to always get them back to cool with each other, and sometimes they may need to work the rest of the way back on their own.
we have let them out, some growling has occurred so far but no fighting yet. We’ll see how it goes from here. Thank you.