My Cats in the News

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

For me your cat in that photo quite cleary has an eye problem- why else is there so much brown discolouring around the eyes? A healthy cat does not look like this.

If you think I'm not getting the point then please explain to me where this discoulouring is coming from, it's not typicall for white domestic cats.

regards,

Christine
That is simply Tear Staining, common in Persians, and actually also in many white dogs, like the Maltese for example.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

That is simply Tear Staining, common in Persians, and actually also in many white dogs, like the Maltese for example.
Um, I realize its tear staining, I do have cats
, but why should tear staining be normal? What is causing this tear staining? How can this be normal or common in any type of cat? An eye simply shouldn't be tearing that much!

With my cats tear staining is a sign to go to the vets to get it checked out.

regards,

Christine

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Um, I realize its tear staining, I do have cats
, but why should tear staining be normal? What is causing this tear staining? How can this be normal or common in any type of cat? An eye simply shouldn't be tearing that much!

With my cats tear staining is a sign to go to the vets to get it checked out.

regards,

Christine
Christine, if you want to accept this or not, it is your choice - as said many times before, by different members this is not a sign of bad health - this is tears staining that is typical to PERSIANS. You do not have Persian cats nor you need to, so just stay away from them.
There is a reason why they are one of the most popular breeds IN THE WORLD, and #1 breed in the USA. If that was a sign of bad health, do you think this would be the case? I think not

Tear staining is simply a cosmetic issue on Persians. That is all, if you want it or not, that is reality.
If your cat, who is not a Persian suddenly has a lot of discharge from his eyes, then yes, go see a vet because that is not normal for your cat.
Tear Staining is normal on Persians, and can be noticed much more on white persians. Period..

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Grown up cats do not bite off each others whiskers in my experiance- this is something a mother will sometimes do to try to stop kittens from leaving the nest too soon
I have a boy who chews whiskers off kittens and adults, I've seen other adults with chewed whiskers too so it does happen

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Christine, if you want to accept this or not, it is your choice - as said many times before, by different members this is not a sign of bad health - this is tears staining that is typical to PERSIANS. You do not have Persian cats nor you need to, so just stay away from them.
There is a reason why they are one of the most popular breeds IN THE WORLD, and #1 breed in the USA. If that was a sign of bad health, do you think this would be the case? I think not

Tear staining is simply a cosmetic issue on Persians. That is all, if you want it or not, that is reality.
If your cat, who is not a Persian suddenly has a lot of discharge from his eyes, then yes, go see a vet because that is not normal for your cat.
Tear Staining is normal on Persians, and can be noticed much more on white persians. Period..
OK, but then please also accept my oppinion that this can not be good for persian cats in general. I do NOT think this should be seen as something normal just because it is common. In my opinion there is no need to breed cats with constantly tearing eyes, breeding should be about improving cats!

regards,

christine

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you are interested in working with the breeds, its really not right or fair to critisize what is normal on certain breeds. No one said you have to own one you don't like.

I don't own Persians for the simple reason that I can't stand to have to comb them every day (a requirement if you own a long hair). But to say "a Persian shouldn't have a long coat cause it gets matted too much, is silly".

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Unless you are interested in working with the breeds, its really not right or fair to critisize what is normal on certain breeds. No one said you have to own one you don't like.

I don't own Persians for the simple reason that I can't stand to have to comb them every day (a requirement if you own a long hair). But to say "a Persian shouldn't have a long coat cause it gets matted too much, is silly".
Hi,

I love cats and am interested in cats in general. I don't think its fair to tell people they are not allowed to be critical and ask questions about breeds or breeding practices.

You don't have to like my oppinions, but please don't tell me I'm not entitled to them.

regards,

Christine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, we are really off topic here!

I've never heard of a cat passing away due to their bald whisker pads or stained under-eye area. In my opinion, we're talking about cosmetic issues and not health issues. Health issues imply something chronically debilitating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Congratulations, PB and Ellie are gorgeous.
Thanks
I like them a lot too and both will be kept for breeding. Juju is already neutered

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris I do love your Maus.
That sphynx is nice and she beat Wrinkles in every ring last week except the last ring and that was only because Dee Dee left before that ring was judged.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hi,

I love cats and am interested in cats in general. I don't think its fair to tell people they are not allowed to be critical and ask questions about breeds or breeding practices.

You don't have to like my oppinions, but please don't tell me I'm not entitled to them.

regards,

Christine
but that does not entitle you to insult people with them. Tact does make a difference when expressing your opinion. These are member's cats you are talking about.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Cats that live together in pairs + usually bite each others whiskers off and it doesn't do them ANY harm.

That white Persian does NOT have an eye problem. Those eyes are fine.

If you have never owned a white Persian then I think you need to seriously watch what you say.
Like I said Christine cats usually (maybe I should have used the word often) bite each others whiskers off. I've got an 18 month old that bites her 12 month old sisters whiskers.

Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Wow, we are really off topic here!

I've never heard of a cat passing away due to their bald whisker pads or stained under-eye area. In my opinion, we're talking about cosmetic issues and not health issues. Health issues imply something chronically debilitating.
Sorry about being OT. I just don't like it when someone shares an interesting link for the breeders/showers alike and then someone says that people who are breeding sphynx are practicing cruelty - that's bound to get peoples backs up. Likewise the White Persians.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi,

regards,

Christine
Yes you are entitled to think that the Sphynx breeders and the Persian breeders (like me) are being "cruel" and breeding unhealthy animals. Just as WE are entitled to disagree with you and be defensive about the breeds we are passionate about and have spent 1,000's of dollars on.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really made me mad.
How can you post bs about sphynx when you do not know the breed.
Ferris sorry for being ot also.
I will stick up for my breed of cat.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, that shaded persian with a huge paw is just adorable!

In Germany breeding such cats is seen as a form of animal cruelty (same thing with the cat in photo 35).

regards,

christine
Really? Have you ever heard of the breed called German Rex?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On topic - My HHP was judged by that man in the blue shirt. He gave us a 2nd Best.

Grown up cats do not bite off each others whiskers in my experiance
I have 3 cats and they have broken/chewed off whiskers a lot of the time. No harm done, just caused by playing and grooming one another.

For me your cat in that photo quite cleary has an eye problem- why else is there so much brown discolouring around the eyes? A healthy cat does not look like this.

If you think I'm not getting the point then please explain to me where this discoulouring is coming from, it's not typicall for white domestic cats.
As someone who has owned several Persians, the tear staining is very normal. Due to the shape of their skull the eyes tend to drain externally. There is no health issue with tear staining.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Really? Have you ever heard of the breed called German Rex?
Yes, I know this breed. They too are seen as a form of animal cruilty by many, but as none was on the photos of this particular cat show I didn't mention them. They too have issues with their whiskers.

And yes, Sphynx cats are also bred in Germany, but that doesn't mean its OK to breed cats that do not have their whiskers as sensors. Whiskers aren't just some sort of whim of mother nature, they serve a purpose.

Originally Posted by whiteforest

As someone who has owned several Persians, the tear staining is very normal. Due to the shape of their skull the eyes tend to drain externally. There is no health issue with tear staining.
Thank you for answering my question. So why breed with such a skull shape in the first place?

EDIT:

http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/Clog...-of-a-Cat.html

"If the tear duct is defective it is not clogged. I know of only one case where the tear duct of a cat is inherently defective through breeding and that is in the flat faced Persian cat and the Himalayan cat (a pointed Persian cat). Tear duct overflow in these cats is a medical condition brought about by irresponsible breeding. These cat breeds should not have been brought into existence. The doll face Persian does not suffer from the same condition because the face has a normal anatomy. Please see Cat Health Problems and Persian Health Problems."

EDIT 2: http://www.worldofdani.com/healthpro...ersiansen2.htm

"
Excessive tearing (Tear duct overflow / Epiphora)
Epiphora is an abnormal overflow of tears down the face that results from either obstruction of tear drainage through the nasolacrimal (tear duct) system or overproduction of tears that overwhelms the normal drainage system. The overproduction of tears is most often a reflex, activated to expel irritating material from the surface of the eye or when significant irritation develops inside the eye. Although uncommon, epiphora may also result from overactive lacrimal (tear) glands and be unassociated with any source of irritation.
Tears are continuously produced on the eye in most animals. With each blink of the eyelids, tears are pushed along the outer aspect of the eyelids towards the nose.

While tears are typically colorless, they can dry to a dark red-brown-black crust, especially in the cat. Chronic tearing can also result in a brown to rust-colored staining of the hair around the eyes and face of animals. This is believed to be due to porphyrins or other pigment-like substances present in the tears.

Tears that spill over onto the face can also be irritating to the skin of the face. Moisture and bacterial build-up in that area aggravates this irritation.Epiphora can be caused by numerous conditions.Inefficient drainage of tears from partial closure of the drainage openings, increased kinking of the drainage duct in the nose, or wicking of tears onto hairs present in the crease where the eyelids meet. This condition is most common in the flat faced, long-haired breeds of cats, particularly the Persian and Himalayan breeds.

As a result of their short and concave underlying facial bone structure, the lacrimal sac and the nasolacrimal duct of most Persian cats is blocked at the lacrimal puncta, causing an excessive coagulation of debris and an overflow of tears from the lacrimal glands: Excessive tearing is a common characteristic of Persian cats and is caused by abnormal drainage of tears and may result in epiphora (Faculty of Cornell Feline Health Center 1997). The two lacrimal puncta are the small openings to the canaliculi (ducts) leading to the lacrimal sac. The nasolacrimal duct drains the sac into the nose. The ducts of the lacrimal system are already very small in felines and the facial conformation of extremely short-nosed, large-eyed cats, namely Persians, is the single most common cause of occlusion (blockage) of the lacrimal system and resulting abnormal drainage of tears. Consequently, because of the epiphora and the blocked lacrimal system, Persian cats suffer from chronic eye infections. Bacteria build up in the obstructed lacrimal passages and thrive on the debris deposited from the coagulated tears, inducing chronic conjunctivitis, with characteristic symptoms such as a brown, mucus-like discharge from the eye, blinking, and an exposed third eyelid. In severe cases, the conjunctiva is swollen red (Faculty of Cornell Feline Health Center 1997). It is important to note, however, that conjunctivitis is not painful (Carlson and Giffin 1995)."

Why risk all of this purely for looks? Surely the skull shape doesn't have to be like this?

regards,

Christine

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And yes, Sphynx cats are also bred in Germany, but that doesn't mean its OK to breed cats that do not have their whiskers as sensors. Whiskers aren't just some sort of whim of mother nature, they serve a purpose.

De-clawing is seen as a form of animal cruilty in the USA but it still takes part. So animal lovers on this site and others campaing to make de-clawing illegal and to educate other cat lovers.
You have got to be joking... How can you even try to make this comparison?
Comparing breeding Sphynx in the same level of cruelty of declawing? Are you serious?
By definition, animal cruelty is the infliction of suffering or harm to animals, other than humans, for purposes other than self-defense. Now, explain to me how breeding Sphynx can fit into this category? Because I can clearly see how declawing does, but breeding Sphynxs? PLEASE!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And all the problems you just listed can be avoided by the owner simply caring for their cat properly, i.e. wiping the eye area regularly. I can honestly say I never had a Persian get an eye infection from excessive tearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.