My Cats Hate My Dogs

Lexic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have had my cat (Sophia) for 9 years. My mom got her from a patient as a gift. We used to have a strong bond but for about two years it's not as good. I want to pet her all the time and she usually ignores me. Since then I have gotten two cats one in 2011(Christian) and one in 2013(Kendall). It didn't take that long for her to get along with Christian because he is a Saint and and she was looking for a friend since my other cat ran away earlier that year. But with Kendall things didn't go so well. He was 2 weeks old but wasn't afraid to take on a much larger 4 year old. They would fight on and off for a couple months until they finally grew to love each other. Anyways, last December I got a new dog (Maggie) who was a stray that my mom found and brought home. And that was pretty much when everything changed. All of my cats didn't like Maggie being a new addition to the house. To be fair I wouldnt either. It was just the three cats for 4 years and the boys were not used to being around any other amimls(Sophie was quite friendly with the neighborhood dogs when we used to let her go outside). I was already angry with my mom's decision to add a dog to our family but she and my younger sister had already adopted another dog (Rosie) in late October. We didn't receive her until January 2nd. Things already weren't going well with between my cats and Maggie but its gotten double worse since we got Rosie. Kendall rarely ever leaves the basement which is quite annoying because I am down there for most of my day since I play my video games there. And he always wants to be pet. He has cost me many of missed virtual opportunities since then. Christian is the least I'm worried about. He can be in the same room with both of my dogs but needs to be near a a human to feel safe. However whenever Maggie gets anywhere near him he starts to growl and hiss at her, and if she gets really close she attacks her. On the other hand he tolerates Rosie and has even allowed her to lick his face on multiple occasions without any consequences. Then there's Sophia. It started when we got Maggie. She would growl at her, hiss at her, and even attack her. They couldn't and still can't really be in the same room. But when we got Rosie, as I mentioned before, things have gotten double worse. Sophie attacked both dogs, sometimes for absolutely no reason. It was usually a one sided affair but recently the dogs started to fight back. Last week both of my dogs ganged up on Sophie and started to attack her. It was only for about five seconds but I was so frightened. My friend had a similar situation with his cat and dog and one day his dog was done with the cat's bull shit and ambushed the cat and almost mauled her to death. I've tried everything from yelling to separating them to using spray bottles and pouring water on them. I swear this shit has almost driven me to insanity and I want everything to stop. It's caused me to be depressed again and wanting to not live as much( I had just gotten over years of bullying and abuse recently but it seems I'm destined to feel bad forever) if anyone can help me it'll be much appreciated. I also need advice on how to deal with this emotionally

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign::alright: Wow! You are in the middle of a very frustrating situation. And I mean that at all levels since even in the people-side of things, your mom is at the top of the hierarchy so you are not in complete control of the situation.
Clearly, the dogs are not respecting the humans' roles as dominant pack leaders, with your Mom at the top and your sister and you next in line. Dogs have descended from wolves, very similar to people who live in a royal society. In both situations, your mom would be queen and her daughters the princesses. The dogs would be subservient to you , then to the cats, then to each other. (Also very similar to the military ranks and their chain of command). :worship:They are subordinate to the others above them and are not supposed to act without permission from the higher ranks. Dogs like calm assertive pack leaders and also need much training and exercise ( the ideal requires the same amount of daily effort as a racehorse - but those efforts can be so delightful and rewarding for the human handler as much as they are to the dogs). NO ATTACK SHOULD EVER HAPPEN WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION OF THE OWNERS, ever!:nono: Just as soldiers who act without orders are court-martialed, so must dog owners examine and correct unwanted behaviors.
Cats, on the other hand, are tribal, like First Nations - they have a strong sense of individual rights and equality which there is no one dominant chief per se, but rather tribal leaders who perform according to each one's talents and with the well-wishes of the entire clan membership.:salam: For example, the tribal leader ( what we imply as chief) is the political leader. Other leadership positions (now mostly relegated to the past) include Chiefs of the Hunts, the Young Men, the Horses, the Gather, and the Expeditions, and the best person for the job, male or female, is used and can resign or be replaced based upon the consensus of the whole tribe. The Healers are given their talents by the Creator and are known for their ability to communicate with the animals. So in the multi-pet situation, using my analogy, it is much like the Old West cavalry and its native scouts living and functioning together.
At one time Animal Planet had a great show called "Cat vs. Dog" with a tag team of dog handler and cat behavior experts. They concurred with both Jackson Galaxy of "My Cat From Hell" and Cesar Milan "The Dog Whisperer". You can find episodes online.
For now, I would concentrate on making the home safe for the cats. Dogs are the predator of cats in the natural world and the cats, as prey, are defensive. Imagine if you had a pet alligator and a pet grizzly bear living with your sister and you! So what seems to you as the cats giving grief to the dogs is most likely defensiveness based on the dogs' behavior. Since cats have excellent observational skills, they are assessing the dogs not only from direct behavior on the cats but the human-dog interactions as well, judging as to how much you are in control of the dogs and will keep the cats safe. The good thing is that animals use body language to communicate with each other - horses & dogs are a great example; a dog who does not respect the boundaries and rules (no chasing, barking at, or nipping of the horse by the dog) will be kicked, bitten (and sometimes lifted into the air) or trampled by the horse in a flash of swift justice that teaches the dog in one harsh lesson. Fortunately, humans can use positive reinforcement and established rules for a much kinder discipline of our pups.
As for cats, harsh methods are a big no-no because harshness undermines trust and feelings of you being their "island of safety".
The articles here and online offer very specific tips as do the shows I mentioned. I would start with the dogs' training and discipline first, with establishing rules and boundaries combined with thoroughly exercising them daily. Ideally, each dog has their own set spot (I call it their "place") where they are supposed to be unless given permission; also, be firm that they do not "alert" to the cats - they must show submission to the cats (remember, they see only superior-subordinate, even with each other) at all times. Proper exercise will ensure that the dogs are less tempted to harass or annoy the cats. Agility training and learning tricks will keep the dogs from being bored and less likely to annoy or chase cats and other smaller animals.
Also, the cats need safe places to escape the dogs such as shelves and tall furniture where they can comfortably perch above the dogs. Cats being at or below a dog's level, such as under the couch or on a chair, stimulates a dog's prey drive and invites disaster. :cold::help:
And as encouragement for you, I have been given "problem/hard-to-handle" dogs and they turn out to be fine for me. My best dog ever was a White German Sheperd/Red Husky who was a cat-killer who quickly reformed and went on to foster 2 litters of tiny kittens; her soul-mates were 2 babies that I let her keep and one lived with her until the dog's death to cancer. Her name was Tasha and her "son" was Cubby.:petcat:
Please keep us updated - I am excited to follow your case and see what you try and what works in your situation!
20180615_093031.jpg

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Cats and dogs can (and do) live in harmony with each other, but it takes a lot of work, patience and consistency to achieve this, especially in the early weeks and months. These articles should give you some pointers. Maybe you can get your mom to take a look too, to try and at least get everyone on the same page.
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Introducing Cats To Dogs
Caring For Cats And Dogs

In terms of the cats specifically, it can really help to open up more vertical space for them, so they can get around more whilst being safely out of the dogs' reach. Cats will naturally go up high to escape dogs outside, and it gives them a great way to begin to gain confidence around the dogs.
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Confining the dogs at night really helps, as it gives the cats some time to have free and confident access to their territory. It gives you peace of mind too, as you know there won't be any alterations overnight.

It might be worth considering trying the cats on a food based calmer, such as Composure or Zylkene, to help them feel more relaxed and gradually show more confidence around the dogs. Your vet would be the best person to advise you here; it's always a good idea to check with your vet before giving any pet any kind of supplement, just to be extra safe ;)
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed you are new to the site and would like to wish you a warm welcome to TCS. :welcomesign: The above members have given you some very good and expert advice. I wanted to add that spraying animals or even worse, pouring water on them, although I'm sure it was your first reaction is not a good idea. Here is an Article that might be helpful to explain this: 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

If you have a dog crate it would be advantageous to crate your dog(s) in a separate room so that the kitties can have the run of the house. It's also an excellent idea to exercise the dogs as much as possible, both physically and mentally.

Regarding your health and how to deal with this emotionally perhaps you can sit down with your mom and your sister and have a heart-to-heart talk with them. Let them know how this is effecting you as well as the animals. You may also want to ask your mom to please not bring any more new pets home even though her intentions are well meant. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know about any new updates. Best of luck!:goodluck: